: What to do, what to do...

The_Hearsecutor
02-22-04, 11:00 AM
Just looking for some advice here. I've been a long-time admirer of the 93-97 STS w/N*. I have an opportunity to purchase a very, very nice 1997 pearl red STS, every option, with 52k miles. It is a one-owner dealer trade, no accidents or paint work. It's offered at a reasonable price through a wholesale dealer for just under $10k.

My biggest fears are only reinforced by all the horror stories that I have read here and on carreview.com. The thought of tranny problems, excessive oil consumption, head bolts, electrical gremlins, electronic suspension problems, engine problems in general, etc are just about to scare me out of the purchase.

The other vehicle I am considering purchasing is a 93 Lexus SC400 with same miles/condition for just a little more $$$. A more reliable vehicle perhaps, but the Seville is absolutely MINT, right colors, right equipment, 4-door convenience, and the price is "right" (for me anyway). What kind of service should I expect from this vehicle? I realize that everything is somewhat subjective, and each car is different, however, there seems to be some consistency with the problems that are seen.

I'm just looking for someone's advice, 2-cents, knowledge/experience, or whatever you can contribute. Many thanks!

David/Chattanooga,TN

Lawrence
02-22-04, 05:21 PM
If the Cadillac has the look and feel you like, go with it. And I must say you have good taste in the Cadillac. They are both a lot of money and you should own the car you like the most. Nothing tops the pride of owning a car that just makes you feel good when you sit behind the wheel. Who is that advertises "Priceless"? Most high tech cars do require more in repair cost than, well, lets say the more basic cars. But what do you want to drive? Being aware of some of the "potential" problems with them can actually help you make a sound decision, no matter the outcome. You say it also cost less so if it does develop a problem there is a little of the money for the repair. The good news is that if the car does devolop one of these problems the repair is lasting. Many of these cars don't develop these problems at all.

To put your mind at rest you should first agree on a price with the dealer and agree that you "will" buy it "if" it checks out with your mechanic. With a refundable deposit, ask him to let you have it for a day or two to have a Cadillac mechanic check it out. Take it to the dealer tell them your concerns and have them check it specifically for these things. At least make sure it is good when you buy it. It will cost you a few hundred, but would be well worth it.

Good Luck!

BeelzeBob
02-22-04, 08:43 PM
Just looking for some advice here. I've been a long-time admirer of the 93-97 STS w/N*. I have an opportunity to purchase a very, very nice 1997 pearl red STS, every option, with 52k miles. It is a one-owner dealer trade, no accidents or paint work. It's offered at a reasonable price through a wholesale dealer for just under $10k.

My biggest fears are only reinforced by all the horror stories that I have read here and on carreview.com. The thought of tranny problems, excessive oil consumption, head bolts, electrical gremlins, electronic suspension problems, engine problems in general, etc are just about to scare me out of the purchase.

The other vehicle I am considering purchasing is a 93 Lexus SC400 with same miles/condition for just a little more $$$. A more reliable vehicle perhaps, but the Seville is absolutely MINT, right colors, right equipment, 4-door convenience, and the price is "right" (for me anyway). What kind of service should I expect from this vehicle? I realize that everything is somewhat subjective, and each car is different, however, there seems to be some consistency with the problems that are seen.

I'm just looking for someone's advice, 2-cents, knowledge/experience, or whatever you can contribute. Many thanks!

David/Chattanooga,TN

You must not have visited some of the Lexus or Toyota "hate" sites if you are scared by the problems listed on the cad sites.

You are suffering from a common problem, similar to hpochondria, that has been brought on by the internet. Everyone with any sort of problem looks up the appropriate site and vents and lists their problem. For every person posting here or on any cad site there are tens of thousands of owners driving around blissfully ignorant of "all the problems" on the internet. The internet sites are a good source of info and help....but....take the info with a LARGE grain of salt. There are millions of Norhtstar engines on the road...look at the number of members who have bothered to even look up this site and post here. NOT a scientific survey at all....and a tiny tiny fraction of the total caddy ownership. Do not be mislead thinking "they all have that problem"...

Both the 97 STS and the Lexus are probably good used cars. I would never consider a comparison of a 93 Lexus vs a 97 STS to be a good comparison....why would you go with a 4 year older car???

Remember also, since you haven't visited the Lexus sites yet, that the Lexus WILL positively need a timing belt replacement first thing if it hasn't been done already. The Lexus has an elastomeric timing belt (instead of a permanent chain drive) for the camshafts that needs replacement at 10years/100K at the longest. If it breaks it trashes the motor.

Buy the STS......you won't be sorry.

RLLOVETT
02-23-04, 09:35 AM
Nobody says it better than the bbobyrmeister! I would add that parts availablility becomes more of an issue after 10 years, so get the newer car. Happy motoring!

1toycad
02-23-04, 03:42 PM
You must not have visited some of the Lexus or Toyota "hate" sites if you are scared by the problems listed on the cad sites.

You are suffering from a common problem, similar to hpochondria, that has been brought on by the internet. Everyone with any sort of problem looks up the appropriate site and vents and lists their problem. For every person posting here or on any cad site there are tens of thousands of owners driving around blissfully ignorant of "all the problems" on the internet. The internet sites are a good source of info and help....but....take the info with a LARGE grain of salt. There are millions of Norhtstar engines on the road...look at the number of members who have bothered to even look up this site and post here. NOT a scientific survey at all....and a tiny tiny fraction of the total caddy ownership. Do not be mislead thinking "they all have that problem"...

Both the 97 STS and the Lexus are probably good used cars. I would never consider a comparison of a 93 Lexus vs a 97 STS to be a good comparison....why would you go with a 4 year older car???

Remember also, since you haven't visited the Lexus sites yet, that the Lexus WILL positively need a timing belt replacement first thing if it hasn't been done already. The Lexus has an elastomeric timing belt (instead of a permanent chain drive) for the camshafts that needs replacement at 10years/100K at the longest. If it breaks it trashes the motor.

Buy the STS......you won't be sorry.
I agree with the above. I also own a couple of Benzes, and if you go to the Benz sites, you'd think that Benzes are the biggest piece of crap on 4 wheels. After reading the posts there, no one would buy a used Benz. The owners on the Benz sites complain and whine like it is no one's business.

If you are worried about repair bills on the 97 STS, see if you can buy a reasonably priced extended warranty that would cover repairs on the most expensive items. That should ease some of your concerns.

I like Benzes...:worship:

I like Caddies...:worship:

I don't like Lexus :rant2:

gust_1980
02-25-04, 03:18 AM
i honestly believe a car reflects its owner. the style of the car, the personality and most importantly how he/she takes care of the car. it will only be as good as you make it, and a well maintained car should last for a very long time. if you neglect problems, on ANY vehicle there will be problems. people just assume that cars should run forever without regular maintainance. they are like little kids and need appropriate care and attention. it sounds weird, but you get out what you put in. id say go for the sts. plus, i think it just plain looks cooler and more bold. my little bro has a 95 sts, same color and people always mistake it for a brand new car. its beautiful.

Realtor1
02-25-04, 07:11 AM

David/Chattanooga,TN

Me personallly will not buying a 97 unless I steal it due to reading there are alot of common issues with the year...I may wrong but I have read enought to keep me away....Go with the Caddy over the Lexus...

Good luck in whatever you do..