: lemon law? Unbelievable amount of problems...

netrave
09-28-06, 02:51 PM
http://www.shadowmarine.com/sts.jpg
I have an 06 STS v6....

its the Fully loaded model, climate control, nav, everything...

i even bought it from the dealer with a full E&G Body kit, 20's rims, spoiler, grill the whole 9 yards...

tell me if this is common on cadillacs...

right when i bought the car, i noticed there was RUST in the trunk, i had to have that replaced...

Next, i noticed OIL in my driveway, and look under the car, and oil was POURING out of the Rear end... the entire rear end had to be changed...

when i got the car back after being repaired, i noticed the ground effects and bumper were cracked... and i told them im not accpeting the car, then they told me one of there guys smashed it into a parking stop... it was in the shop for a week for them to repaint the entire body it...

After that, i was driving, and all my guages and Navigation turned off... nothing would respond, even if u shut the car off and on, i had to have it flat bedded and brang to the dealer... so they replaced the nav...

now my latest is the Passenger Airbag... doesnt turn on when someone sits in the seat... says uptop the Air Bag is OFF!!!!

What the Fu@k is wrong with this car...

to top it all off... the dealer offered to take the car in on a trade towards a new one... keep in mind i only have 5k miles on the car and bought it for 66k... they want to give me 25k to take the car back on trade...

what the hell should i do about this? or am i just being paranoid???

Cajonkev
09-28-06, 02:56 PM
Call Cadillac Customer Care and start a file on it.

Then send them a letter referencing your case number with the history of your probs.

Make sure you are dealing with the Service Manager at your local dealer and not just the Service Advisor.

If the problems keep showing up and/or you hit the 30 days of dealer downtime mark; then it's time to start asking about the buy-back program.

Been there, done that...good luck.

997tt
09-28-06, 05:59 PM
Sorry to hear about you problems dude.
File a claim.... I wish you the best... Beautiful STS though.. Sad

try this...
The Center for Auto Safety (http://www.autosafety.org/lemonlaws.php)

Spddemon
09-29-06, 02:03 AM
Sorry about the car and sorry for the troubles, But that might not fit under lemon law. You need to have the exact same problem atleast 3 to 4 times(check with your state, each one is different). I think the main thing is go after the dealer and be hard pressed on the to fix what goes wrong and get all of the repair bills and estimates. Some dealers have been known to quote a different issue but fix the same reoccuring problem.

Good luck with it.

ewill3rd
09-29-06, 06:45 AM
Based on what I see, you have had 4 problems with the car to date and one problem with the dealer mishandling your vehicle.

I had another car that was not working correctly on the passenger seat airbag or "PPS" system. (passenger presence)
The PPS may need to be recalibrated or it may need a new sensor.
The one I have seen in my shop, I replaced the PPS module and sensor, it's part of the lower cushion. Remember the person in the seat needs to weigh a sufficient amount, but on the one I had my 190 pounds wouldn't trigger the sensor at times so we acted on the side of caution and replaced it.

They appear to be addressing your issues as they arise. A "lemon" is typically a car that has the same problem more than 3 times without a resolution but I am sure the definition is broader than that.
I would agree calling Cadillac Customer Care and expressing your concerns is a good idea. I doubt they will feel as if your problems are outrageous, but I am sure they will be more than happy to talk to you about them.

It seems as though your dealer is trying to help you out, but salespeople have a different mindset. I bet if the General Manager knew about your situation and you told him they tried to offer you half the value of your car on trade with 5,000 miles on it he'd be yelling at someone!
I wouldn't hold that against the entire dealership though, just the guy who offered you that bogus deal.

I hope they fix your problems.
Let me know how it goes with the airbag system, I'll give you more advice on that if you need it so you can get it fixed with your dealer.

netrave
09-29-06, 11:05 AM
yea and i was driving again last night, and my navigation went out... couldnt control the Radio, couldnt turn it off, the guages stopped working again, i turned the car on and off like 5 times, still no fix...

then later on when i parked the car and called the dealer to tell them, i get back in the car and its working again...

is anyone else having this kind of crap go wrong... i mean its CONSTANT problems...

997tt
09-29-06, 12:54 PM
yea and i was driving again last night, and my navigation went out... couldnt control the Radio, couldnt turn it off, the guages stopped working again, i turned the car on and off like 5 times, still no fix...

then later on when i parked the car and called the dealer to tell them, i get back in the car and its working again...

is anyone else having this kind of crap go wrong... i mean its CONSTANT problems...

Try to be nice. Talk with the GM.. see what gives. Maybe carry a digital cam to show what goes wrong.

If everything else fails.. try a registered letter saying you will sue for the full ammount that you paid + all fee's.

if that fails.. i suggest not going to court because it will probably be a waste of time.... unless you have a lot of time to waste on this.
then just dump it in the river.

i wish you all the best

997tt
09-29-06, 01:15 PM
a lot of states have a law that if it's in the shop for more then 30 business days total within a year, it is a lemon.
So just try to bring it there as often as it needs and KEEP ALL DOCUMENTATION proving that it has been there FOR A REASON and that it totals up for more then 30 days.
instead of getting them to fix everything at once... do one at a time.
and make sure on the paperwork, its written that it did have a problem.

ARTSBEST
09-29-06, 01:41 PM
You purchased an STS V-6 and you paid $66K? Did I miss something here or what?

urbanski
09-29-06, 01:53 PM

$20K wheels?

netrave
09-29-06, 01:55 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yea i bought it as is... the dealer put the body kit, put the rims, spoiler, grill, everything on it... sticker was 66k... i paid 62 out the door... i figured buy it this way from the dealer so if anything goes wrong they have to fix it...

megeebee
09-29-06, 02:00 PM
yea i bought it as is... the dealer put the body kit, put the rims, spoiler, grill, everything on it... sticker was 66k... i paid 62 out the door... i figured buy it this way from the dealer so if anything goes wrong they have to fix it...

Look up your states' Attorney Generals office wesite. They usually have a lemon law office set up. Go there, look into it. Download and print as much as you can then take DIRECTLY to your dealers sales manager. Trust me, you'll get action!

netrave
09-29-06, 11:57 PM

Maximln
09-30-06, 02:24 AM
I just read your post a few days ago and then I noticed oil in my garage. It seems oil is leaking from the rear end! I wonder if this is a common problem. I've also been having trouble with the transmission. When I have it in sport mode and then I slam the gas when I'm going around 50 or 60, the transmission seems to get stuck in gear around 70 or 80 and won't shift gears. If I let off the gas, it will eventually shift or if I let it rev around 6 or 7 thousand rpms for a sec, it will eventually shift as well but definitely gets stuck if I stay on the gas. Guess it will be going in for service on Monday. I'm going to mention the automatic level control as well because I cannot get it to come on for the life of me.

Max

Benjamin Simon
10-01-06, 11:29 PM
$66k Omg!

william1034
10-01-06, 11:42 PM
Good luck with the repurchase. I have a 2005 STS V8 w/1SE pkg, it has 14k miles on it. After 5K they replaced the brakes because of the grinding sound it was making. It was good for a month, then as I was pulling in to a parking lot the the stability system kicked in, made a grinding noise, not the brakes. It was towed to the dealer, they could not reproduce it. It happend again, and they couldn't reproduce it. This gets even better. The steering wheel felt like it was coming loose, they said the tilt steering pin was backing out:eek: , yikes. Now the the steering makes a whining noise when I start the car and turn the wheel the first time or two. While whining the whole car shudders. They have finally figured out how to reproduce the issue, 40 days later, nothing. I have called customer service and was told they would not purchase the car. They offered me 25k on trade, this is a 50k car WTF. The service manager appears to be on my side, but I can't tell. I consulted with my lawyer and I was told the Texas lemon law isn't very good and since I have a loaner time in the shop doesn't count:rant2: . This sux, but at least I get a new car every couple of months.

netrave
10-02-06, 08:15 AM
I just read your post a few days ago and then I noticed oil in my garage. It seems oil is leaking from the rear end! I wonder if this is a common problem. I've also been having trouble with the transmission. When I have it in sport mode and then I slam the gas when I'm going around 50 or 60, the transmission seems to get stuck in gear around 70 or 80 and won't shift gears. If I let off the gas, it will eventually shift or if I let it rev around 6 or 7 thousand rpms for a sec, it will eventually shift as well but definitely gets stuck if I stay on the gas. Guess it will be going in for service on Monday. I'm going to mention the automatic level control as well because I cannot get it to come on for the life of me.

Max

yea i definitly would get that checked, thats how mine started, i noticed a small puddle under the rearend of my car... but didnt really think anything of it because its such a new car... and then a few weeks later, it really blew out, and poured oil everywhere, it was all over my exhaust, transmision, everything...

06STSgirl
10-10-06, 12:43 PM
You guys almost make me want to trade in my car... I planned to pay it off and keep it for a few years (I usually hold on to cars if I buy them new until just before 100,000 miles), but if all of these "major" problems that alot of you are stating happened before 20,000 miles, it makes me wonder how long the life-span on these things are. I've had a few problems with mine too, but nothing nearly as major as leaking differential fluid, etc. The most upsetting was when it locked me out of it twice and wouldn't recognize my key-fob to let me in the car or start it. I had to use the key to open the door (and of course, as luck would have it, the alarm went off). This has happened twice in 2 different locations (one of which wasn't the best neighborhood, so I was pretty heated that day). OnStar worked pretty fast to do whatever they did to make the car recognize my fob again though. Other than that, just minor things like a check engine light (emissions control malfuntion, fixed in less than 1 day), 1 recall, and the excessive brake dust & brake sqealing/grinding issue alot of people have posted about on here. After about "3 different visits to the dealer", they finally put some upgraded front pads on and resolved the issues. Either way, they seem like pretty decent cars. Maybe GM just hadn't gotton all of the bugs out yet(?)

straitcad
10-16-06, 10:30 AM
yea i definitly would get that checked, thats how mine started, i noticed a small puddle under the rearend of my car... but didnt really think anything of it because its such a new car... and then a few weeks later, it really blew out, and poured oil everywhere, it was all over my exhaust, transmision, everything...

I had the rear end of my car (2006 V6) changed TWICE already. The first one was leaking only a little bit, the second one was literally falling apart within 30 miles after starting to make strange noises. Same thing with my wife's SRX, by the way... rear end changed once already, now it's leaking again. Simply inacceptable, even though aside from that the STS is a DAMN fine car and really turns heads here in Europe.

STS4TOM
11-08-06, 11:43 PM
Cadillac customer care only goes so far. I tried to get my VR fixed and after 18 months gave up and customer care told me "Sorry, thats the way it works". I went to the Better Business Bureau and they took care of everything. They filed with GM under the lemon law. I had a call from GM the next day. They asked what settlement I wanted. Three weeks later, the day before my "Hearing" GM called and settled with me...Paid me back every penny (down,payments,interest) over $28k. My new 07 STS just camed in. I loved my 0f sts4, just hated the voice module. Go get them

graphicguy
11-10-06, 09:58 AM
Cadillac customer care only goes so far. I tried to get my VR fixed and after 18 months gave up and customer care told me "Sorry, thats the way it works". I went to the Better Business Bureau and they took care of everything. They filed with GM under the lemon law. I had a call from GM the next day. They asked what settlement I wanted. Three weeks later, the day before my "Hearing" GM called and settled with me...Paid me back every penny (down,payments,interest) over $28k. My new 07 STS just camed in. I loved my 0f sts4, just hated the voice module. Go get them
Interesting....did you get the NAV, Bose surround system in your '07? Does the VR, audio, bluetooth work correctly in the '07?

papaisrollin
11-11-06, 08:58 PM
im surprised customer care wasnt more helpful..when i rolled mine off the lot they called every other day"hi, were callin from the plant that built your car-any problems?" are you satisfied etc if i had HALF of your problems ...General manager on up would be VERY uncomfortable..good luck with your situation

AnthonySerp
11-12-06, 05:40 PM
Off topic but i love the car, especially the rims what type are they

also how does the car ride on 20s, i got 18s dont know if i wanna go much higher

graphicguy
11-13-06, 09:37 AM
im surprised customer care wasnt more helpful..when i rolled mine off the lot they called every other day"hi, were callin from the plant that built your car-any problems?" are you satisfied etc if i had HALF of your problems ...General manager on up would be VERY uncomfortable..good luck with your situation

papa....I got a couple of phone calls from someone who said he was from the Cacillac plant where my STS was built. I told him of my "issues". He referred me to the Cadillac Customer Care line. They were pretty clueless. Seemed like the only thing they did was read from the manual. I could do that myself.

I'm at my 3rd dealer to get the VR and surround system to work as advertised. Nice people. But, the service guy seems just as clueless as all the rest. The only thing they seem to want to do is to close my "case" as quickly as possible....whether the issues are resolved, or not.

netrave
11-13-06, 12:22 PM
Off topic but i love the car, especially the rims what type are they

also how does the car ride on 20s, i got 18s dont know if i wanna go much higher

There American Racing Rims, called Sting...

it rights great on the 20's, smooth as glass... i wouldnt go any bigger personally, i think it would look Ghetto...

also the E&G body kit, makes it look lower anyway...

quantum
11-16-06, 07:30 PM
NetRave,

Years ago, I sent a brand new 96 Bronco back under the lemon law. No lawyers, no major expense
and got a new truck out of it, no extra charge. Could have gotten all my money back too! I opted
for the OJ truck instead.

In NJ, we have the Division of Consumer Affairs. THEY are the only people on your side, not Caddi-care,
not the service manager, none of 'em. Just the state AG.

The procedure can vary state to state, but the bottom line is if you have under a certain amount of
mileage (you would in all cases at 5k I'd imagine), and IF you have a recurring problem with one major
component or multiple problems with multiple components that effect safety, you are probably
in good shape for an easy win. Headliner sagging, no way...gauges blacking out while you are driving, ummm...YEAH safety issue!

Here's how I did it. Recurring problem with alignment. They tried shims, re-welding control arm mounts,
etc. Nothing worked, and I drove a loaner for what seemed like forever. The law said I gotta give the
dealer 3 shots at fixing it, which I did. After the 3rd time, it still wasn't right.

My next move was to send a certified letter to Ford corporate, the instruction pack from the state told
me what to say. They had 10 calendar days from date of delivery of the letter to not only reply, but to
fix the problem to my satisfaction. I mailed it out overnight on the Thurs. before columbus day, figuring I'd
get a 4 day jump on it because of the holiday. They sat on it for another week and a half.

I waited for the call, which I got on the 15th day. "Hi, this is Jeff from Ford corporate, and we're
gonna fix your truck for ya' today"..."Um, Jeff, the law says 10 days and I get cash back, you are on
day 15 and I got nothing much to say to you except when can I pick up my check"...pause, keyboard
taps..."Tell you what, sir, we're going to find you a new truck, and when that comes in, we'll give you a call, how's that? Figure a week or two max, we're on it." :)

Stop wasting your time with the guys who are calling themselves your pals. Their loyalty is to the dealer,
not you. Google "Lemon Law for _______ state", get the facts, and then tell them you're going to war. That
might get you a new car, or at least some action!

Good luck!