: how to program keyless remote

ErnieE
09-27-06, 08:48 PM
Can anyone give me info on how to program a keyless remote? I have a 97 Catera and both remotes are dead. They have new batteries and still dont work. They just quit working. I bought another no.2 remote off Ebay and of course it wont work either.

Thanks for any help!

Warez
09-27-06, 10:50 PM
Did both remotes just suddenly stop working at the same time? Also why did you buy the extra remote?

If all you really need are the remotes to be reprogrammed, any shop with a GM Tech II scan tool can do it. Don't let them charge you an hours labour, it only takes ~10 min to program.

ovsa
09-27-06, 11:23 PM
un like the other caddys , catera remotes cannot be programmed by yourself. You have to take it intothe dealer, should cost about $30 to $40.

Good Luck

ErnieE
09-28-06, 05:00 PM
Did both remotes just suddenly stop working at the same time? Also why did you buy the extra remote?

If all you really need are the remotes to be reprogrammed, any shop with a GM Tech II scan tool can do it. Don't let them charge you an hours labour, it only takes ~10 min to program.

No, one remote quit working a couple of years ago and now the other one quit working. I figured they must be defective when I installed new batteries and still they didnt work so I bought one off of Ebay.
Thanks for the info , I guess I will take it to a GM dealer. :mad:

ErnieE
10-11-06, 10:34 PM
Well I took it to the dealer and found out both my original remotes didnt have the IC chip connected. So the technician soldered the chip back in place and now they work again. Unbelieveable :banghead:

Warez
10-12-06, 01:10 PM
It sounds like the dealer is full of sh1t and ripped you off. I can't imagine how an IC chip would ever become detached!

Open it and check for yourself for any obvious soldering marks. Just stick a coin in the side groove and pop it open, very simple.

How much were you charged for this anyways?

lakesidepark
10-13-06, 02:09 PM
the dealer is not full up on this one. I was just getting ready to suggest this myself.

I bought a 1997 and neither remote worked. I opened both of them myself and found the loose IC in the case. Soldered them back and it was fixed. The IC is a small two-pin crystal that is surface-mounted and it is in an easy place to vibrate loose.

Depending on what they charged...you may have still been ripped off...but I believe the part about the IC chip and wouldn't bother to look inside the remotes cause you might knock it loose again.