Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2000 STS, how to take dash pad off? speaker sizes? please help!!!

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  CadillacSTS42005 
#1 ·
hey guys, like the title says ill be diggin into my sts soon looking to re-do the system and everything stock is coming out. i need to get the dash apart but im not sure how to? also, what are the stock sizes of speakers in my car? replacing the ones on the dash are the most important to me because i have to achieve good staging/imagine with good tonality. i want to stay away from building kickpanels again and just go with the mid/midbass in the doors (which i believe are 8's?) so the dash speakers have to cover a wide range of fq's. any help would be appreciated

#3 ·
sry man didnt notice your post
glad to help
there are three 2 inch speakers inside jewel boxes on the dash
to remove the dash 1st d/c your battery you dont want your air bags to deploy.
next remove all of the vents top dash and side vents that are in the wood
behind them will be screws remove them and pull up and out on the pad and shell come
fyi you CAN replace the bose speakers with aftermarket, HOWEVER find the lowest ohm speaks possible like infinity kappas, they run 2 ohms. the bose speaks run 1 ohm and with the ohm difference of a 4 ohm speak, the new speaks wont sound as loud as the bose, hence why you should stick with 2 ohms

adding a sub is easy just get an rca adapter, run it off the sub leads that will give you sound input. then connect a wire off of your radio fuse as a remote that way your amp will turn on with your radio, then its just a matter of running you main power and ground wire from the battery underneath the rear seat to your amp

hope this helps!

#4 ·
thanks man, that did help. i was starting with my h/u today and realized what little room i actually have to work with. after buying the module to connect to the stock harness so it wont throw codes or anything, i found that i barely had enough room to put these anywhere; let alone my unit. my h/u is an eclipse 8022 fold out dvd screen that had plenty of room to slide back in my 94 sls but when i tried to mount it in this one it stuck out almost 2 inches! to me, this is unacceptable and now im forced to look for another unit. which brings me to my next point.... i think that all single din units will present this obstacle so im thinking double din right? well, there are a couple ive looked at but now im thinking....what about the stock 6.5 navi/screen unit that came in later models? does anybody know if they will work in my 2000? i know that the video is disabled when in motion too, has anybody figured out a way around that? i will go this route if i can do both because i prefer the stock look. sooo....having said that, my eclipse screen is for sale. im thinking 400 bucks; i bought for 650 not more than 8 months ago.

and, ETC...thanks man, i was curious about that but since im replacing everything, ill prolly go 4 ohm, maybe 8 depending on what quality speakers i can find to fit up there.

#7 ·
thats exactly where my h/u is hitting! i looked at it, but i thought that messing with that would detiorate stability or something; or possibly hit something important behind it. but, you had no problems? was it difficult to get out?

#8 ·
I didn't remove the dash support, I cut it while it was in the car. I only had to cut away a small section near the drivers side. I had a set of RCA's that was hitting. How much of the support are you hitting? Just a small area, or all the way across? I think that there is HVAC ducting right behind the support. If so, be careful.

Don

#9 ·
my h/u stuck out like 2inches so im pretty sure i'd need to take out most all of it. im really hoping to get it mounted so it looks flush when retracted. id like to see some pics of your install if you have em

#10 ·
How deep is the HU? I had to use the extension ring (I think that is what it is called) in my dash kit. So the HU doesn't sit inside the kit, it sticks out the thickness of the faceplate. That lessened the HU depth by about 3/4". Are you trying to mount it inside the kit?

Don

#11 ·
almost...i just want to retain the flow of the console/inst. panel and having a big bump sticking out is unacceptable to me; id rather leave it stock. or, i was thinking of getting the stock nav screen from later models, but im sure it would be expensive and hard to find

#12 ·
You will neber get an aftermarket HU to look "factory" in our cars. The curve of the dash dictates that. Either you have it stick out a bit, or sunk in a bit. Although it is subjective, I likes it sticking out. With it sunk in, it just seemed wierd. To each his own I guess.

Don

#14 ·
ok....so, i FINALLY found the 4 screws you were talking about. they were a biatch to get out. what you didnt tell me is that i had to take the trim around the inst. panel off too. all in all, it was far more difficult than i had imagined. what i found were 3 small speakers, looked to be 2in ers enclosed in their own enclosure with a small port. its actually pretty elaborate, which is why im still debating on wether or not to keep these up there or replace them. id like to replace them with a cleaner sounding speaker that will take more power.

well, i dont have all my equipment yet so im forced to wait til i can have everything waiting to be put in, because there is no way you can just put a system together piece-by-piece in these cars....its all or none, all at once. and, ever since coming into my h/u problem, ill have to wait till i can find one shallow enough to fit or severly alter that piece of metal behind it. i am documenting everything with pics of the process and am thinking about posting it all up after im done so that it can be become a sticky for those who are curious about doin theirs. peace

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.