: Electric Turbo

99Classillac
09-26-06, 09:09 PM
Yea I got another idea. Just brainstormin again tryin to make my Deville a rocket. What if I took a hi-power leaf blower and connected the hose to the airbox and then wired it up to a toggle switch. The switch would keep it from running constantly, I just turn it on when I want more power. Kinda like nitrous, just push the button when I want it. If I sealed it up real good so it had no real noticeable air leaks, would it be a good idea? I think its might work, I dunno, just flip the switch for power then cut it off when I'm finished burnin a ricer. That way it won't run constantly, it won't drain the battery. What do you guys think?

chazglenn3
09-26-06, 09:16 PM
:histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric: :histeric::histeric:

99Classillac
09-26-06, 09:21 PM
What?!?! I seen someone stick a leafblower in a airbox and it actually worked. And it wasn't even sealed up or anything. Only thing was it was plugged into a wall socket. It wasn't a permanent thing, they were just messin around. Car was on dyno though.

99Classillac
09-26-06, 09:22 PM
Don't remember the gains though.

eldorado1
09-26-06, 09:34 PM
Don't laugh... it works.

Video - Leaf Blower Bolt on Dyno pull (http://videos.streetfire.net/search/leaf+blower/0/ab544e3b-5dff-416d-9cfd-a1ad23ca9564.htm)

A gas leafblower is more powerful than an electric one though (by a factor of 4)... and it gained 10hp.

wydopnthrtl
09-27-06, 12:23 PM
Any recipricating engine is just simply an air pump. Anytime you can decrease delta P (air) then you'll gain efficiency... that is as long as the motor is'nt creating it.

So *yes* you'll gain **something** at some point in the rpm scale. But you have to consider the total air volume and at what rpms it's taking place.

There is a reason why we up here in motown engineering shops.. don't supply cars with electric leaf blowers. :bigroll:

If you really want to improve performance as cheaply as is possible.. get a quality nitrous kit (like I have) and use a bit excessive octane to prevent detonation.

Rich

dkozloski
09-27-06, 01:35 PM
Any recipricating engine is just simply an air pump. Anytime you can decrease delta P (air) then you'll gain efficiency... that is as long as the motor is'nt creating it.

So *yes* you'll gain **something** at some point in the rpm scale. But you have to consider the total air volume and at what rpms it's taking place.

There is a reason why we up here in motown engineering shops.. don't supply cars with electric leaf blowers. :bigroll:

If you really want to improve performance as cheaply as is possible.. get a quality nitrous kit (like I have) and use a bit excessive octane to prevent detonation.

Rich

Besides, when they see you running down the road alongside your car blowing in the intake with a leaf blower they're going to send you to the funny farm.

eldorado1
09-27-06, 01:48 PM
Besides, when they see you running down the road alongside your car blowing in the intake with a leaf blower they're going to send you to the funny farm.

Cripes... You put it on a stool with wheels. Do I have to do all the engineering for you? :thepan:

99Classillac
09-27-06, 01:48 PM
LOL, I was gonna cut the blower's hose and put the blower into that empty space between the radiator and front bumper. Down low so it won't block the airflow to the radiator. It'll be hidden from outside view. Plus it'll still get good airflow because it's still gonna get air from down low.

wydopnthrtl
09-27-06, 03:24 PM
I'm not sure if your still joking or not?

Well.. anyway a leaf blower is'nt going to push the CFM that a 4.6L V8 would pull at high rpms. It would actully restrict it. Not help it.

A small shot of nitrous does wonders on a northstar. I dropped 9/10ths with a 70shot. And can go 13s even on a day with bad weather shooting a 100shot.

Rich

chazglenn3
09-27-06, 05:27 PM
I was laughing because that sounds like a Honda Civic mod to me, nothing that a Cadillac should ever be subjected to. Now, the nitrous sounds more civilized...

99Classillac
09-27-06, 07:02 PM
I thought nitrous would mess up the engine. I hear horror stories of nitrous burning up pistons and all. I was just looking for some power that wont hurt my northstar. I guess a leaf blower isn't a good idea huh? Oh well. At least I asked and found out.

Mark Bunds
09-27-06, 07:28 PM
I thought it was curious that the guys in the video were spraying nitrous without adding additional fuel. That is certainly something you would not want to do for very long.

Krashed989
09-27-06, 07:30 PM
I thought nitrous would mess up the engine. I hear horror stories of nitrous burning up pistons and all. I was just looking for some power that wont hurt my northstar. I guess a leaf blower isn't a good idea huh? Oh well. At least I asked and found out.

That's why you use higher octane! Nitrous Oxide only supplies oxygen to the fuel. Higher octane fuel has a higher detonation temperature; meaning it takes more heat/oxygen for it to ignite than lower octane fuels. So if you use lower octane fuels with N2O then you will get preignition which will deteriorate the rings very rapidly and also cause a "Knock" when using the N2O system.

Combustion is the rapid oxidation of a substance with heat as both a catylist and a byproduct.

dkozloski
09-27-06, 08:13 PM
You might be better off in the long run breathing the nitrous.

Mark Bunds
09-27-06, 08:34 PM
It might work well with two leaf blowers ;-)

xxcaddytech
09-27-06, 11:43 PM
uuuhhhhhhhh variable rpm ? if it worked the manuacturers would build it...if it doesn't and your injector rate gets maxed it will lean out and cause a meltdown like the nitrous would...

99Classillac
09-28-06, 07:51 AM
I already use hi octane gas. 92 or better. Better is only 93 at some gas stations.

stan stewart
09-28-06, 08:17 AM
A leaf blower could not deliver the PSI at the volume levels needed for an internal combustion engine. And air is only 1/2 the equasion, you need more fuel to get more HP. Thats why with a turbo or Supercharger kit it comes with a programmer and usually new injectors and fuel pump to increase the amount of fuel injected into the engine. Higher octain fuel means it burns more slowly and therefore you can cram more air/fuel into the cylender without detonation. Naturally asperated engines you raise compression to increase the amount of air/fuel sucked into engine. But you have to raise the octain of fuel so it doesn't detonate. Blowers/turbo engines run a lower compression because the air/fule is pressurized and forces more charge into the cylinders and to prevent detonation runs around 8-8.5 CR. The same is true of Nitrous, you have to increase the amout of fuel also to gain more HP, the Nitrous only adds Oxygen.

dratts
09-28-06, 08:53 AM
How does raising the compression ratio increase the amount of air brought in?

99Classillac
09-28-06, 09:36 AM
If nitrous only adds oxygen to the fuel/air mixture, why use nitrous? Why not grab an oxygen tank and use that? I know maybe too much oxygen huh? Well mix it with regular air and now you have diluted oxygen. Why can't you just do that instead of nitrous?

stan stewart
09-28-06, 10:07 AM
I stand corrected
"Why are engines built with the highest possible compression ratio? Higher compression ratios give a higher thermal efficiency, allowing the engine to get more useful work out of the heat energy in the fuel. Compression ratio has only a small effect on the volumetric efficiency of four-stroke engines. (Ref 1) The upper limit on compression ratio is set by detonation, where the fuel/air charge is heated sufficiently in the compression stroke to self ignite. Higher compression ratios can be used by using higher octane fuel"

The statement I made was not entirely correct, What happens is when you use a high performance cam and higher compression you will increase the efficiency of the engine (suck in more fuel /air).

You are correct, oxygen would make a tremendous amount of HP, thats whats happening in the saturn 5 booster (External combustion engine)Hydrogen and Oxygen. But your engine wouldn't live long!

eldorado1
09-28-06, 10:53 AM
If nitrous only adds oxygen to the fuel/air mixture, why use nitrous? Why not grab an oxygen tank and use that? I know maybe too much oxygen huh? Well mix it with regular air and now you have diluted oxygen. Why can't you just do that instead of nitrous?

Because adding pure oxygen will be like taking an oxyacetylene torch to your pistons. The nitrous oxide (N2O) decomposes in the combustion process to produce Nitrogen (N2) and Oxygen(O2). The nitrogen moderates the process, and keeps the temps down, and keeps the gasoline from detonating like a stick of dynomite.

99Classillac
09-28-06, 11:16 AM
So nitrous sounds good. Whats the max I should put in, 100shot? 150? Is it easy to install by myself or is it a professional needed type job? Also, how much would a kit cost plus installation?

wydopnthrtl
09-28-06, 01:29 PM
So nitrous sounds good. Whats the max I should put in, 100shot? 150? Is it easy to install by myself or is it a professional needed type job? Also, how much would a kit cost plus installation?

Call Denny at racetested dot com and tell him "Rich" sent you from the Caddy forums. He'll explain anything you could possibly want to know. And he sells the best engineered systems on the planet.

**if** you ramp it up and can supply enough fuel with the stock pump a 150shot is doable.

I've verified that a 100 shop ramped up if perfectly fine. Will be stepping it up to a 125 here next week.

(see the videos I posted in the video section)

Rich

GreenMachine
09-28-06, 03:52 PM
Don't laugh... it works.

Video - Leaf Blower Bolt on Dyno pull (http://videos.streetfire.net/search/leaf+blower/0/ab544e3b-5dff-416d-9cfd-a1ad23ca9564.htm)

A gas leafblower is more powerful than an electric one though (by a factor of 4)... and it gained 10hp.
I think that gain is more or less from that fact they were able to simply feed more cool air faster and it acted like a large dyno fan.

99Classillac
09-28-06, 04:06 PM
In that video, they just sprayed nitrous into the leaf blower's air stream. Is that safe? Is it safe at all to run nitrous at all times? If so, whats the max that I can run. I know I can't do a 100shot at all times. Would a 25shot be safe?

99Classillac
09-28-06, 04:07 PM
????

davesdeville
09-29-06, 04:11 AM
You don't do nitrous at all times, you'd run out of nitrous real quick.. You do nitrous for 5-20 second bursts, when you want to accelerate quickly. Unless you have the ability to pulse solenoids or a dual stage system, then you have one jet that means you run X amount of nitrous, and it's either on or off.