: Northstar Blocks Cracking ?

Murphyg
09-26-06, 07:08 PM
I am NOT trying to start any rumours here :thehand:

A guy I work with told me he was watching a news program, (City-Pulse), that has a special on vehicles.
Its a phone in thing where people can ask there "experts:bighead:" questions pertaining to any vehcles etc.....

He told me someone called in asking about a Cadillac.
Apparently the so called "expert:bighead:" said that the N*s up to and including 2001,(may have been higher even), had a flaw that "Caused the Engine Block To Crack".
Im not sure what he said the defect was.
He then went so far as to try to re-aasure me that I would be ok seein as how I had an extended waranty.

:stirpot: or what ??

I immedietally told him that either he didnt understand what this "expert:bighead:" was really saying, or that this so called "expert:bighead:" had his head up his rectum and didnt know what he was talkin about.

I also proceeded to tell him that if there was such an issue it would surely be in the (this) forum.
I continued to explain to him all and any issues; that I have learned from here and are practically embeded into my memory, that the N* may have.

Im only bringing this up because its driving me crazy. Not to mention the fact that its also gotten me quite pissed :want: that something like that could be broadcast.

Anyone have any idea what the #%&! this apparent "expert:bighead:" could have been talkin about ?:confused: :confused:

eldorado1
09-26-06, 07:16 PM
Somebody told me that a cadillac service manager told them you have to resleeve the block any time you replace a head gasket.

Beat that! :histeric:

dkozloski
09-26-06, 07:24 PM
Intelligence is finite and can be measured but there is absolutely no limit to stupidity.

JimD
09-26-06, 07:25 PM
You guys are not doing anyone any favor by repeating any of these untruths.

If your sister's boyfriend's 15 year old cousin claims he heard that Dex-Cool causes the Arctic ice cap to evaporate, would you repeat that also??

Consider the source and quickly flush this nonsense out of your brain.

Murphyg
09-26-06, 08:17 PM
You guys are not doing anyone any favor by repeating any of these untruths.

If your sister's boyfriend's 15 year old cousin claims he heard that Dex-Cool causes the Arctic ice cap to evaporate, would you repeat that also??

Consider the source and quickly flush this nonsense out of your brain.

Sorry for getting your Ire up.
But my first line was

I am NOT trying to start any rumours here.

I have never read anything here about engine blocks cracking.
Sure the head gasket problem.
But not a specific problem refering to the "Engine Block Cracking" !

I did not specifically state that this querry was caused by the coolant or any other source for that matter.
I dont understand why you brought up Dex-Cool ?
My querry was about something Id heard regarding an "apparent" flaw that causes the aluminum engine block to crack.

Please re-read my post

You are the one that is repeating and or creating untruths here by replying to something that you have not fully read and understood.

The source is from a very good friend of mine who wouldnt make up crap just to get me going.
It is possible that he did not fully understand the whole aspect of the broadcast that he viewed.
But his source was from a "very" reputable and major broadcaster here in Canada.

I thought that my post had explained all that.

I tried to do did the best I could to aquire some information on something; while asking in such a way that wouldnt result in replies that would attempt to belittle and patronize me.

ie:

If your sister's boyfriend's 15 year old cousin claims he heard that Dex-Cool causes the Arctic ice cap to evaporate, would you repeat that also??.

I guess with some that is not possible. :rant2:

Maybe the next time I hear something that makes me go hmmmmmmm ??
Il just quickly flush the nonsense out of my brain, not inquire or question it, and walk around with an empty skull like a programmed uneducated stump :thepan:

Sorry if some think it was my intention to :stirpot:

Will do another search for Cracked Engine Blocks to see if Id previously missed something.

:worship:

Dadillac
09-26-06, 10:06 PM
But his source was from a "very" reputable and major broadcaster here in Canada.
Well that explains it.:stirpot:
Sorry:thumbsup:

Don

Ranger
09-26-06, 11:22 PM
Some expert :rolleyes:.

Don't be too hard on JimD. I think he was mearly trying to say that this is so rediculous that it dosen't even deserve the recognition of being repeated, lest someone reads it and takes it as fact and spreads yet another Northstar myth.

CadiJeff
09-27-06, 12:17 AM
myth what myth it is true! provided you freeze it in liquid nitrogen and drop it off the empire state building!! I heard it from my father's uncle's brother's cousin's former roommate.

codewize
09-27-06, 12:52 AM
I agree though. Someone along the way should prevent such damaging untruths to making it to the air waves.

Maybe you should go as far as to contact the station manager AND GM and try to get them to air a retracement OR find out what was really said.

That is a pretty serious accusation that could affect potential buys decisions.

dkozloski
09-27-06, 03:15 AM
It's just a $hit house rumor and will die a natural death. There is no reason to give it any validity by drawing more attention. Go on to something worth worrying about like doomes day.

eldorado1
09-27-06, 09:36 AM
there's no "e" in doomsday.

I can't find a way to make that funny. Sorry. ;)

Murphyg
09-27-06, 06:07 PM
I agree though. Someone along the way should prevent such damaging untruths to making it to the air waves.

Maybe you should go as far as to contact the station manager AND GM and try to get them to air a retracement OR find out what was really said.

That is a pretty serious accusation that could affect potential buys decisions.

Was what I was thinking.
Is the actual reason why I brought it up.
It is quite the serious accusation and as far as Im concerened could and should result in legal procedings.

Buddy who told me about it wrote down the phone # and what not for me.
Think Ill get that from him and make some inquries.

Thanx all :thumbsup:

PS:
Sorry JimD

codewize
09-28-06, 12:24 AM
Cool, You're a good man. Don't forget to leave some REP.

ELDOminator
09-28-06, 07:55 PM
Actually I saw a fella on streetfire.net saying the same thing. "He's lucky that's not the Northstar, those things crack their blocks all the time" or somethin like that. I tried to tell him otherwise but the site didn't let my reply... :rant2: Aparently the word is spreading.

xxpinballxx
09-28-06, 08:53 PM
DEX is causing the ice caps to MELT!!!!????? Oh the humanity!!!!!

dkozloski
09-28-06, 11:01 PM
DEX is causing the ice caps to MELT!!!!????? Oh the humanity!!!!!
Not around here. We've had one of the coolest summers on record.

eldorado1
09-29-06, 12:11 AM
El Nino... it's why we haven't had any hurricanes yet, too.

codewize
09-29-06, 12:15 AM
See, this is what I'm talking about. that kind of shit spreads like wild fire and one stupid comment by one stupid person CAN be very detrimental.

When you guys see crap like this you need to say something. Where is that article. I'll get the right person on the phone.

Actually I saw a fella on streetfire.net saying the same thing. "He's lucky that's not the Northstar, those things crack their blocks all the time" or somethin like that. I tried to tell him otherwise but the site didn't let my reply... :rant2: Aparently the word is spreading.

dkozloski
09-29-06, 11:07 AM
A tempest in a teapot. I don't recall anyone on this forum having a cracked block. It isn't happening. Let it lie. It'll die a natural death. Organizing a demonstration before the United Nations will only give the BS artists some validity. If GM was concernded with it they would be purchasing full page ads in the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal to respond.

jrob350
09-29-06, 12:41 PM
i have a 2000 cadillac deville just found out the block is cracked, so has anyone else had this happen or know the best place to get a new engine

chevelle
09-29-06, 12:53 PM
i have a 2000 cadillac deville just found out the block is cracked, so has anyone else had this happen or know the best place to get a new engine

Where is this "crack" supposed to be in the block...?? The block is a fairly large part of the engine and just saying it has a crack means little or nothing....other than a good excuse to get you to purchase another engine. Describe the crack, post pictures or something. If you haven't seen it then that is the first thing you want to do is have them show you...and take pictures. My guess is that the block is not cracked at all.

dkozloski
09-29-06, 01:08 PM
First post? I smell hoax.

jrob350
09-29-06, 03:23 PM
the crack is about center on the front side of the engine. I have seen it. coolant just pours out of it. first post because i googled northstar blocks cracking lol

dkozloski
09-29-06, 04:00 PM
the crack is about center on the front side of the engine. I have seen it. coolant just pours out of it. first post because i googled northstar blocks cracking lol

Apologies, how about a picture?

jrob350
09-29-06, 04:40 PM
i haven't taken one yet but i will when i get a chance so has anyone heard of this actually happening before

dkozloski
09-29-06, 04:54 PM
i haven't taken one yet but i will when i get a chance so has anyone heard of this actually happening before
I've seen no pictures but there are narratives. Usually turns out to be leaky gaskets, rusted out Welch plugs, or rusted cooling lines.

eldorado1
09-29-06, 05:10 PM
I had a northstar with a cracked block once...

...when a rod decided to go through it. :D

Ranger
09-29-06, 05:30 PM
First time I have heard of it.

clarkz71
09-29-06, 06:56 PM
I've never heard of that. I'd have to see a pic to believe it. Till then it's.:stirpot:

GailyBedight
09-29-06, 07:09 PM
My twin half sister told me she heard that dexcool caused warts to grow inside the block which results in cracks.

sts96
09-29-06, 09:08 PM
from 96 sts 3800 miles after timeserting front side gave out at 70 mph dumped dexcool very quickly. I think the block had micro cracks from water freezing by previous owner. sts96

eldorado1
09-29-06, 09:57 PM
I'd guess most if not all block cracking you'd see on a northstar would be due to previous owners adding cold water to an overheating engine with a head gasket problem. *crack*

codewize
09-29-06, 11:22 PM
Umm yeah come on. We all have N* cars and we all have a wide range of driving style, maintenance habits, and mileage and we've never heard of this happening. Until I see proof I'm blatantly calling you as liar.

First post? I smell hoax.

I've never heard of that. I'd have to see a pic to believe it. Till then it's.

My twin half sister told me she heard that dexcool caused warts to grow inside the block which results in cracks.
Many people here know N*'s very very well.

dkozloski
09-29-06, 11:59 PM
I seem to remember two previous posts on this forum about block cracking. One involved bottomed out bolts. And another may have involved head bolt holes that may have had liquid in them that resulted in hydraulic damage. In any case the cracking was not spontaneous but was helped along in some manner.

dkozloski
09-29-06, 11:59 PM
I recall seeing some pictures as well.

CadiJeff
09-30-06, 01:54 AM
been a while but i recall that too, and the old guru was as baffled as we all are, it only seems to happen in extreme cases, and is pretty much a non-event in the northstar world.

sts96
09-30-06, 01:20 PM
As you can see from the pics the crack ran from side to side I sawed the part out at each end with a saber saw .
the crack is below the bottom of bolt thread boss so could not be caused by hydraulic lock or over length bolt or trash.
My theory is the previous owner used water in the winter rather than repair a bad head gasket. I pulled the engine cleaned the block timeserted all head bolt holes,replaced all seals and oil manifold, gaskets.
Al tho i looked the block over I did not find any cracks at that time.I did not see any thing that would require a dye test. but the position of the crack is consistant with water freeze damage that I have seen in cast iron blocks. I think fresh head gaskets and new bolts plus thermo cycleing provided enough stress to cause small cracks to spread and join. since I am the only one this has happened to I want my prize. sts96

Ranger
09-30-06, 04:45 PM
"My theory is the previous owner used water in the winter rather than repair a bad head gasket."

I don't understand the theory behind this thinking, flawed as it may be.

eldorado1
09-30-06, 04:51 PM
"My theory is the previous owner used water in the winter rather than repair a bad head gasket."

I don't understand the theory behind this thinking, flawed as it may be.

-P.O. has a head gasket problem.

-Starts adding water to keep it filled up.

-Winter comes around and has 100% water in cooling system

-Water freezes and block expands.

dkozloski
09-30-06, 05:44 PM
From my position(Alaska) it sure looks like a freeze up to me. I've seen a lot of these. I've fixed some of them. Sheet aluminum, DevCon, and Cherrymax rivets covers up some real evils.

Ranger
09-30-06, 06:09 PM
-P.O. has a head gasket problem.

-Starts adding water to keep it filled up.

-Winter comes around and has 100% water in cooling system

-Water freezes and block expands.

OK, I thought he meant that the P.O. though that water was some kind of fix when he said "used water in the winter rather than repair".

AlBundy
09-30-06, 06:35 PM
Well guys I guess we should give him the prize. One used Tornado provided by me.

sts96
09-30-06, 07:25 PM
Thank you albundy I will treasure the thought as my garage (2 car ) is full. sts96

Ranger
09-30-06, 07:26 PM
Doesn't the poor guy have enough problems? :)

eldorado1
09-30-06, 08:28 PM
From my position(Alaska) it sure looks like a freeze up to me. I've seen a lot of these. I've fixed some of them. Sheet aluminum, DevCon, and Cherrymax rivets covers up some real evils.

devcon? Isn't that rat poison?

You have rats in your fenders too? :thepan:

dkozloski
09-30-06, 08:45 PM
DevCon is a line of metal filled epoxy fillers such as Plastic Aluminum and Plastic Steel. You're thinking of Decon. A natural mistake for a flatlander.

Ranger
09-30-06, 09:03 PM
That is the stuff that the factory uses to seal the "Lizzy Dole" 3rd brake light I believe.
Devcon | acrylic, acrylic adhesive, adhesive, adhesive and sealants, adhesive applicator (http://www.devcon.com/)

eldorado1
09-30-06, 10:33 PM
ohh yeah, that's right.... carry on.

codewize
10-01-06, 01:07 AM
You'll kindly notice that our friend jrob350 is nowhere to be found now.