Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Steering Wheel Switches on a 2005 Deville

2K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  phcaan 
#1 ·
I have located some reasonably priced replacement switches to replace the switches on my steering wheel that no longer light. Can anyone point me toward somewhere I can find instructions to remove and replace these switches?
Thank You

#5 ·
Re: Steering Wheel Switches on a 2005 Cadillac Deville

somewhere in tech tips is a tutorial with pix that i made when I replaced mine a few months ago. I'll try to find it and post a link. It's not hard to do but requires patience and finesse. I'm not good at micro-soldering so I just replaced the two assemblies.

here ya go: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...x/731290-r-r-steering-wheel-switches-pix.html

start at the top, inboard and work down. reverse the process. hardest part is getting the lip to slip back under the airbag cover. a little Armorall will help on the mating surfaces.

#6 ·

somewhere in tech tips is a tutorial with pix that i made when I replaced mine a few months ago. I'll try to find it and post a link. It's not hard to do but requires patience and finesse. I'm not good at micro-soldering so I just replaced the two assemblies.

here ya go: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...x/731290-r-r-steering-wheel-switches-pix.html

start at the top, inboard and work down. reverse the process. hardest part is getting the lip to slip back under the airbag cover. a little Armorall will help on the mating surfaces.
Interesting. I've never tried Armor All on my mating surfaces...

#8 ·

Thank you so much for the tip.
I paid $4500 for the car, it had 155K and although everything worked, it had been neglected for a while. I replaced one of the inner fender wells, had the headliner re-attached, did a ton of cleaning, put on a trailer hitch for my wife's wheel chair and new Michelin tires. I did a complete paint correction, polished and sealed the paint and now it looks like it was dipped in glass. I spent 2 days cleaning and treating the vinyl top and it turned out perfect. In the morning I will be pulling the under cover, pressurizing the cooling system and attempting to find the mystery of the disappearing coolant. Thanks again for all the help all of you have given me on this forum.

#10 ·

It is actually vinyl. Up to now I was not a fan of vinyl ether, and if I were buying a new car would never choose a vinyl or fabric top, but after I purchased this car, and got the top restored to it's original sheen, I have to admit I like it.
There are several Devills' the same year as mine in town, they are silver where mine is the ice blue, which looks silver, they look rather plain when compared to my car. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Full-size car

#11 ·

Hi Phcaan: Our 2005 DeVille with 148K miles was just fine until i decided to check the coolant level. By doing so, I wiped-out the already tired pressure cap rubber seal. Thereafter, no coolant pressure could be held and coolant would come out the recovery overflow tube on shutdown. The simple repair in my case was to install a new GM recovery tank cap. Not sure if this info will help you, but it solved the coolant loss for me. Good luck. Griff

#12 ·

Hi Phcaan: Our 2005 DeVille with 148K miles was just fine until i decided to check the coolant level. By doing so, I wiped-out the already tired pressure cap rubber seal. Thereafter, no coolant pressure could be held and coolant would come out the recovery overflow tube on shutdown. The simple repair in my case was to install a new GM recovery tank cap. Not sure if this info will help you, but it solved the coolant loss for me. Good luck. Griff
Griff, Thank You so much for this tip, I have noticed some coolant on the frame, I think, below the recovery tank, I will get a new cap today.

#15 ·

Yeah, phcaan. when our old cap was naughty i would turn off the engine and see a little coolant leak out via the overflow hose. At the same time, squeezing the radiator hose found it to be not under pressure. Now with the new coolant recovery cap in place, the radiator hose is pressurized. Griff

#16 ·

Yeah, phcaan. when our old cap was naughty i would turn off the engine and see a little coolant leak out via the overflow hose. At the same time, squeezing the radiator hose found it to be not under pressure. Now with the new coolant recovery cap in place, the radiator hose is pressurized. Griff
I am glad this was the problem, because there is no way I would be able to afford a serious repair on this car. Not only would it be extremely expensive but it would not make sense to put 6 to 10K in a $4500 car.

#18 ·
BUSTED, you are correct, those are not factory hubcaps. I got them on ebay, you know how it is, you see something shiny------.
I have run across some products that have worked remarkably for me including the restoration of the vinyl top.
Thank you for your interest.

#24 ·
the ones I bought were new in OEM Delco packaging. I would not buy them used.

As for the airbag, I would trust basscatt's answer. I only disabled the airbag as a precaution due to my own lack of knowledge about how they work.

#25 ·
The switches I ordered were new GM, The only reason I asked about the airbags is that whenever I see instructions regarding anything to do with interior wiring the first step is always "disable the air bags"
Thank you Basskatt, I will stay on the look out for any of those sneaky fence posts that may be lurking behind the barn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.