: Recall Items - Question for Group

guardian
09-25-06, 06:05 PM
In the roughly ten years since Catera was rolled out there has been only a single factory recall. Ideally Caddy would have done the right thing by Catera owners and recalled the cars more than just the one time, in an effort to fix problems we all know are designed in. The Catera was not a cheap car to begin with. It's a Cadillac for God's sake!! Owners deserved respectful treatment and never got it, IMHO.

But that's me . . . . .

I am curious to know which service items, IF ANY, you think merit or merited a recall fix. Or do you believe Caddy has already behaved properly and honorably, and has handled everything just right regarding Catera service issues.

Anybody have thoughts on this?

R-Caddy
09-25-06, 07:03 PM
I know there have been MORE THAN ONE recalls. I am yet to find out what has been performed on my car. I wonder if they would do the recall work now if it hasnt' been done... Any ideas?

Resilient
10-02-06, 12:43 PM
Calling up your VIN should report what was done on the car.. you GM - Caddy dealership should have the info... and at no cost.

Guarding posted a 1-800 number that might be useful for you to find out R-Caddy:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/85860-cadillac-customer-service.html

List of Maintenance, Recalls and TSBs
Make A Shorter Link (http://makeashorterlink.com/?D5992375D)

I believe they have to do any recalls missed or not done, regardless of time past... even the minor ones, the more severe one may make them liable should anything bad occur because they didn't do them... I think.

R-Caddy
10-03-06, 09:14 PM
Thanks Resilient ;)

R-Caddy
10-03-06, 09:14 PM
Thanks Resilient ;)

klm
10-04-06, 09:33 AM
When I called cadillac, they were not very helpful. I wanted to know if my timing belt was changed with the tensioner recall or if there were any other recalls performed. They claimed that they did not have that detailed info, only that there were no outstanding recalls on my car.
I think they were full of crap. They certainly knew the details. I expressed my displeasure of course, but no help was offered, only that I should go back to the dealer. Big help since I bought the car used in 2002.
So much for the caddy "non" service hotline.

That said, I do love my Catera which now has 113,000 miles. I probably would not like it so much if I had to pay for all the repairs though. Other prolems I've had.

-valve cover gaskets - Paid for by extended warranty, not caddy
-coil pack ruined by above - out of waranty - not covered by extended
-tie rod ends - Paid for by extended warranty, not caddy
-battery twice- caddy paid
-aux water pumps - Paid for by extended warranty, not caddy
-sunroof actuator - Paid for by extended warranty, not caddy
-neutral safety switch - out of waranty - not covered by extended
-Heater control valve - leaking now. I will have to pay
-MAF sensor - out of waranty - I paid
-Brakes - 3 times

guardian
10-04-06, 10:24 AM
When I called cadillac, they were not very helpful. I wanted to know if my timing belt was changed with the tensioner recall or if there were any other recalls performed. They claimed that they did not have that detailed info, only that there were no outstanding recalls on my car.
I think they were full of crap. They certainly knew the details. I expressed my displeasure of course, but no help was offered, only that I should go back to the dealer. Big help since I bought the car used in 2002.
So much for the caddy "non" service hotline.

That said, I do love my Catera which now has 113,000 miles. I probably would not like it so much if I had to pay for all the repairs though. Other prolems I've had.

-valve cover gaskets - Paid for by extended warranty, not caddy
-coil pack ruined by above - out of waranty - not covered by extended
-tie rod ends - Paid for by extended warranty, not caddy
-battery twice- caddy paid
-aux water pumps - Paid for by extended warranty, not caddy
-sunroof actuator - Paid for by extended warranty, not caddy
-neutral safety switch - out of waranty - not covered by extended
-Heater control valve - leaking now. I will have to pay
-MAF sensor - out of waranty - I paid
-Brakes - 3 times

I have a lot of respect for the way you have handled your Catera ownership. Others can learn from you as I have.

Summing up, the Catera is a great and special, though superficially inexpensive car. But regulars here know the Cat can present owners with service costs higher than we would wish. You have dealt with this, for the most part successfully, by paying up front for an extended warranty. Your approach in effect increases the cost, but also the reliability, of the Catera so it falls into the ballpark of similar cars having higher inherent reliability, e.g., Lincoln LS. I think that's smart.

As for your negative experience with CCS:

It might not be their fault. The documentation level for recall service can vary with the communication skills of the tech who does the service and/or with the service manager. What he or she didn't write into your record didn't get written into the record.

You have at least a couple of options if you think there is data on the record your CCS rep was unwilling to relate:

1. Call back and talk to another rep. Be nice and do not mention your unsuccessful earlier call. Enquire about the records and see if the answers are the same.

or

2. Call back and request at the outset to speak with "a supervisor or a group leader". Usually such folks have been on the job a little longer than the average rep. A supervisor or group leader might have better insight into your situation with the car.

Having said all that, it's important to remember other posters here have reported the recall sercice did not always include a belt change. This is wacky, crazy, and counterintuitive I know. It is also threatening to the life of your engine. But it is something with which you must deal.

Losing a belt while going down the road at 65 MPH defines having a bad day. Unless, of course, you still have that extended warranty thingy working for you.:)

Sadly, not everybody does.:crybaby:

Resilient
10-04-06, 02:41 PM
Having said all that, it's important to remember other posters here have reported the recall sercice did not always include a belt change. This is wacky, crazy, and counterintuitive I know. It is also threatening to the life of your engine. But it is something with which you must deal.I did that query myself, as I was nearing the 150 000km milestone... the recal 'kit' did have the belt listed, which I made sure the dealer confirmed in writing in my file... so if anything fails well (like they didn't change it) I know wher and who to blam, I mean discuss the issue with after the towing home...