: How many of you running same size tire?17's

wifescaddy
09-25-06, 10:44 AM
And which ones are you running,Are you using the 255's or the 235's.

KMO
09-25-06, 01:20 PM
I am running 235 front and 255 rear, BUT the dealer told me that 255 all the way around will rub in the front. And, he said you can go with 235 all the way around if you want.
I personally decided to stay with OEM size... but go to the Continental Cross Contact LX (65K mile tire). They are not uni-directional like the Goodyear tripletread (60K tire) (which I love), so you can have them rotated left right without a rim swap. The Goodyear RS-A are the same too, they can rotate left/right.

wifescaddy
09-25-06, 01:36 PM
ok thanks,ill stick with the oem size then,my rears are still good but fronts were worn.And i had a chance of getting 2 rears 255's with rims for $250.

Smokin' SRX
09-25-06, 06:14 PM
I am running 235 front and 255 rear, BUT the dealer told me that 255 all the way around will rub in the front. And, he said you can go with 235 all the way around if you want.
I personally decided to stay with OEM size... but go to the Continental Cross Contact LX (65K mile tire). They are not uni-directional like the Goodyear tripletread (60K tire) (which I love), so you can have them rotated left right without a rim swap. The Goodyear RS-A are the same too, they can rotate left/right.

Hi! Continental had the OEM sizes in 18 " (OEM for V-8) and you like the ride and traction?? Any negs on this or the Goodyear?? I'm due soon!!! ( 20 K miles of hard driving! Fronts are hurtin' !

PS.........don't want to change from OEM sizes also, if possible!

Smokin' SRX
09-25-06, 06:15 PM

Sorry! just a double hit!

donjumpsuit
09-26-06, 03:50 PM
Wheel size on SRX. Almost needs its own forum.

I have 20" rims on my SRX, my tire size is 255/45R20 on all four.

I have just the slightest amount of rub on the inner wheel well of the right front tire. Never on the left front. The right front rubs a tiny bit when turning right. The place it rubs is toward the cab side of the black plastic wheel well cover. It is only the slightest amount of rub and I can't hear it.

Smokin' SRX
09-27-06, 10:36 AM
ok thanks,ill stick with the oem size then,my rears are still good but fronts were worn.And i had a chance of getting 2 rears 255's with rims for $250.

On another recent thread, dechief4 advises that he just recently got Pirelli scorpion Zero's for his N* AWD '04, with great results in ride/handling/noise! He stayed with the 2 different OEM sizes, as is being discussed elsewhere on this forum, because GM recommended it!

I think it is a "masking" effort to hide the AWD's tendency to 'Crab" the steering wheel when turning, on hard pavement! (the smaller front tire grabs less!) Another poster thought this up and I agree! (see current threads on tires) It would strain the front drive unit and possibly cause problems in handling steering! (and warranty's!!!!)

beekay
09-28-06, 01:58 PM
my winter wheels are 17's they had Dunlop's, they lasted 2 seasons about 30k miles, now they are gone.
My summers are 18's with 255's all around (BFG GForce T/A) I am VERY happy with these and would recommend them anytime! some folks complained of noise, I have not heard anything that was overwhelming with these.

neither tire rubs, no noises, and no odd wear in the tread. My stock tires faded in less than 10k miles, like most, the front's wear to nothing so fast, as its a pain to rotate side to side (dismount flip remount) i never did it, since they were on the car only a few months a year where I used to live, plus they wore too darn fast!

My input....
bk

Smokin' SRX
09-28-06, 03:42 PM
my winter wheels are 17's they had Dunlop's, they lasted 2 seasons about 30k miles, now they are gone.
My summers are 18's with 255's all around (BFG GForce T/A) I am VERY happy with these and would recommend them anytime! some folks complained of noise, I have not heard anything that was overwhelming with these.

neither tire rubs, no noises, and no odd wear in the tread. My stock tires faded in less than 10k miles, like most, the front's wear to nothing so fast, as its a pain to rotate side to side (dismount flip remount) i never did it, since they were on the car only a few months a year where I used to live, plus they wore too darn fast!

My input....
bk

Sounds good! Do you have AWD? N* or V-6?

wifescaddy
09-28-06, 07:36 PM
That sounds good maybe ill try the 255's all the way around.

beekay
09-29-06, 05:49 PM
Sorry,
V8 AWD
I run both 18's and 17's (winter)

KMO
10-02-06, 12:42 PM
Had the Continentals put on Thursday. The ride is great... quieter and smoother than the Eagle RS-A. Now the RS-A had 42K worth of miles on them though.
I can't speak to the wet traction yet... has not rained here... and of course it is never fair to compare a tire at end of life to a new one.

The dealer told me that the Eagle RS-A was designed for high speed. I have only taken the Continental to about 110... but saw no difference in the handling behavior from the RS-A to the Continental.

Smokin' SRX
10-02-06, 09:16 PM
Sorry,
V8 AWD
I run both 18's and 17's (winter)

many thx to you, KMO, Robhersch and the others! I will buy my tires soon (about a month) and report back! I'm leaning towards Dunlap "Sp Sport 500 Asemmetrical" in "H" rating (only rated at 130 MPH vs OEM "V" rated Mich's at 150 MPH. They're $127 each at "TireSavings.com". Hoping slightly softer "H" carcuss will give slightly softer/quieter ride! Love the Dunlaps on my former GTP. (Grandprix w/ a Blower!)
Handling with Magride should remain excellent.......I hope! stay tuned! :bouncy: