: HELP!!! - 1998 Catera Recall for Tensioner Pulley

jmacatangay
09-22-06, 01:01 PM
My Catera just broke down and found the cause to be a recalled part. Bought the Catera second hand and therefore never received any recall documents. Dealership is telling me that the recall expired in 2005 but my recall was still open and is limited. Total repair would run around $5000. Can anyone give me advice/help on what I can do to have the dealership pay for repairs when all damage was caused by the recalled part.

Thanks.

guardian
09-22-06, 02:33 PM
Suggest you pick up a telephone and call:

1-800-333-4CAD

This is Caddy customer assistance. Do not call without your VIN. They cannot assist you without it.

Below is JMHO:

Do not tell them about your dealer contact at first. Give them your VIN and request to know if your Cadillac Catera ever received the recall service. When and if they answer "no", ask how you go about receiving the recall service. Information about your current problem and your difficult dealer contact should not be given to them until AFTER they answer the above. Do not place the Caddy phone rep in a position of having to defend a (possibly) untruthful or uninformed dealer until AFTER you have your answers.

Also, if your current dealer never sold Cateras (many did not), find yourself a Caddy dealer to service the car who DID. How do you learn about this? You must ask the dealer, both in the sales and in the service departments.

As I said, JMHO. That's what I would do.

Good luck with your car!:thumbsup:

BTW, if Caddy customer service confirms they ended Catera recall service in 2005, please post that information here. It would come as a surprise to me, and possibly to others here as well. I am unaware of a time limit on recall service. But you never know.:tisk:

Also, the $5000 repair cost is quite high. You can buy a really nice Catera, running well, for $5000. This dealer sounds to me like one I would avoid.

inconnu
09-24-06, 07:46 PM
I have read it somewhere that recalls are only valid for 7 years or 100000 miles whichever occurs first,dont quote me on this you better check with the dealer like guardian said.

Warez
09-24-06, 07:55 PM
If you end up having to cover the cost, don't have the engine repaired, I've seen new ones go on eBay for $1000.

guardian
09-24-06, 08:58 PM
I have read it somewhere that recalls are only valid for 7 years or 100000 miles whichever occurs first,dont quote me on this you better check with the dealer like guardian said.

Really I think it might be a better idea to check with Caddy Customer service. I gave the toll-free number above. The O/P already asked a dealer. Am not sure he got the straight story.

If I had a Catera which never had received the recall service, and IF (repeat _IF_) there is a time or mileage limit, I would appeal direct to Cadillac - long and loud - really, really loud - for them to make an exception.

Resilient
10-02-06, 12:55 PM
This might help:

Maintenance, Recalls and TSBs
Make A Shorter Link (http://makeashorterlink.com/?D5992375D)

And from I remember reading on the policy adjustment :
Special Policy Adjustment-02018-Cam Drive Idler and Tensioner Pulleys and Water Pump #02018 - (05/31/2002)

It outlines the costs of repair, time and schedule basically statute of limitations... (I do remember posting that specific tech bulletin in this forum, but can't find it right now).