: Looking for a few answers

Gomeo001
02-20-04, 06:29 PM
Hello Everybody,

I own a 1997 Deville D'Elegance. My mechanic says its going to cost me about $1500-2000 to rebuilt the lower half of my engine. He says their is a problem with the pistons. He has not specifically told me what the problem is and he says "i can take the engine out and the transmission, but something else could pop up and need replacing or fixing." The engine has about 82000 miles on it. I wanted to get some opinions on what i should do. Is the amount specified too much? Would it be in my best interest to try and look for a used or rebuilt engine? Or hell should i just get rid of the damn thing?

Confused,

Orlando

BeelzeBob
02-20-04, 07:16 PM
Hello Everybody,

I own a 1997 Deville D'Elegance. My mechanic says its going to cost me about $1500-2000 to rebuilt the lower half of my engine. He says their is a problem with the pistons. He has not specifically told me what the problem is and he says "i can take the engine out and the transmission, but something else could pop up and need replacing or fixing." The engine has about 82000 miles on it. I wanted to get some opinions on what i should do. Is the amount specified too much? Would it be in my best interest to try and look for a used or rebuilt engine? Or hell should i just get rid of the damn thing?

Confused,

Orlando

Uh.....what exactly is the problem or complaint? Is he just suggesting a piston replacement out of the blue...???

There is nothing inherently wrong with the "pistons" in a Northstar engine that would mandate replacement and at 82K it is just getting broken in good.

Gomeo001
02-23-04, 05:58 PM
I failed to mention the car was in a minor accident and it sat for a few months. Nothing was wrong all the damge was to the body. THe only engine damage that seemed apparent was the radiator fan in the front broke off. WEll as the car sat in the garage it started to leak oil and coolant. When you turn the engine over it rattled and vibrated really really bad, like it was going to rattle out of the hood. So he says their might be a problem with the pistons.:banghead:

zonie77
02-23-04, 08:02 PM
We did the headgaskets on my brothers N*. Due to his job it took over 2 months to finish. When we started it the lifters rattled unbelieveably. It took running it about 10 minutes to quiet them down. Each time we started it they got a little quieter. The N* limits the oil going to the lifters so they take a while to pump up if the drain down.
Several other people had the same experience.
This sounds like your car. Did you let it run awhile?

Aurora By Olds
02-24-04, 11:38 PM
Get a full written estimate of what the mechanic is going to do, and then get another estimate from elsewhere.
Compare the two, and post your findings, maybe we can help......

BeelzeBob
02-25-04, 03:06 PM
I failed to mention the car was in a minor accident and it sat for a few months. Nothing was wrong all the damge was to the body. THe only engine damage that seemed apparent was the radiator fan in the front broke off. WEll as the car sat in the garage it started to leak oil and coolant. When you turn the engine over it rattled and vibrated really really bad, like it was going to rattle out of the hood. So he says their might be a problem with the pistons.:banghead:

Utter nonesense. Pistons (nor any other parts) fail from sitting.... Run the engine for awhile until it warms up completely and idles for awhile. Due to the long shutdown there is likely some air in the lifters that will take 30 minutes or longer to completely purge from them. Make sure the engine has good clean oil in in and that it is full of oil and coolant and run it. It is fine if it was fine when you parked it. They don't spoil like food does....LOL

zonie77
02-25-04, 04:26 PM
Where is the car now and is it together ?
You said in a previous post that the mechanic showed you the cylinders being too large. Did he disassemble it?

Gomeo001
02-25-04, 05:57 PM
Hello everyone,

I got the car back today and he did not dissassemble it nor take any piece off. All he did was listen to it and let another man listen to it too. The other man works on engines and he suggested something not sounding right on the botton of the engine. What all this means i dont know. WHen i tried to turn her over this morning it would not turn over and the battery died. It sounded like she wanted to, but i couldnt give her enough juice. He suggested i get a honda and do away with the 'LAC. He said its easier to fix and it cost less for the parts. TO hell with that i want to keep my car and i am going to fix it one way or another. :want:

When i get home today i am going to give her an oil change and check all the levels. Ill keep you posted on the results.

I am still open for any suggestions.

THanks to everyone who replied and tried to help out.

zonie77
02-25-04, 10:17 PM
LOL...I avoid Honda's (and most foreign cars) because of the price of parts!

Plus I've waited weeks to get some shipped in!

zonie77
02-25-04, 10:45 PM
If it was leaking coolant and oil the damage was obviously not just to the body! Did the radiator get replaced? The oil cooler? Is the A/C still working? The condensor for the AC is in front of the radiator. If the radiator got damaged the AC may be damaged too. :hmm:

Gomeo001
02-26-04, 01:44 AM
If it was leaking coolant and oil the damage was obviously not just to the body! Did the radiator get replaced? The oil cooler? Is the A/C still working? The condensor for the AC is in front of the radiator. If the radiator got damaged the AC may be damaged too. :hmm:I believe the compressor or it could be the condensor was replaced. I really can't remember, but the guy i got it from told me he replaced one of the two i just named. YOu know what the AC doesn't work.

Fiero STS
02-26-04, 08:15 AM
One more thing if the battery was disconnected or completely dead the ECM may have to "learn" to idle again. It may run rough or surge or die untill it runs long enough to adapt.

Gomeo001
02-26-04, 11:07 PM
One more thing if the battery was disconnected or completely dead the ECM may have to "learn" to idle again. It may run rough or surge or die untill it runs long enough to adapt.
I didnt know that. Im going to get the battery recharged and see what happens.

Gomeo001
03-19-04, 04:39 PM
Hello,

I finally found out the problem to my Caddie. I gave it an oil change and found out that the Cylinder Heads are cracked. The oil came out milky chocolate brown and that means theirs water in the oil. I then noticed that all the white smoke meant that the coolant was in the exhaust system. I did my little research and didnt need the damn mechanic. That ****er didnt tell me anything good anyways. He just wanted my money. These problems never happened before the accident only after i got it back from the mechanic. I cant say when the heads cracked but it never smoked like that until i turned it on from 8 months of sitting in the garage. He said he never noticed the white smoke but the engine sounded funny, I think its BullShit. Well now its gonna cost some dough to get the engine rebuilt or replaced. It only had 78855 miles. What should I do move on or do the repairs?

WOW more mother****ing problems with the Northstar!!!! TO ALL TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE DEALERSHIP OR A REPUTABLE AND CERTIFIED CADILLAC MECHANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PEACE, ORLANDO