: Speed limited!

rb92gt
09-21-06, 04:06 PM
On my way home from work the other day, I was being tormented by a kid in a BMW so I figured I would put him in his place. I did... until I hit 108 in front of him and then a little message popped up- Speed limited to 108. He of course flew by me then. I was being careful around that speed, knowing that my S rated tires are rated up to 112mph, but I did not think that the car would be speed limited. I was looking forward to a nice new set of tires with a high speed rating. CRAP!! I have searched everywhere online and cannot find a device to eliminate the speed limiter in my PCM. Does this yet exist? HELP!!! Don't want to have to trade the car in already.
Thanks

997tt
09-21-06, 04:57 PM
There HAS to be a way to take off the speed limiter. By reprogramming the ECU everything should be fine. Usualy the makers of superchargers for northstar engines have this equipment. I'm a brand new STS owner so I wouldn't know who to contact.
It is however very bizare, because in every review I read, the speed limiter was set to 154-156mph "Drag limited"... not even electronicly limited.

Goodluck with the issue.. And man.. is this forum sleepy or what! I posted a thread a week ago, barely got a response.

By the way, what BMW did you walk?

rb92gt
09-21-06, 06:11 PM
It was a 3 series, can't tell ya exactly which one because he was behind me until my speed limiter kicked in and he eventually caught up, by then I was too busy thinking about why the hell my car has a governor. I have several phone calls into companies that make programmers and am awaiting phone calls. I believe a company has just come out with one for the STS-V. I know GM knows the trick, but I doubt any dealer would be interested in removing the speed limiter, too many litigation issues, even though there is no limiter on the same car with higher speed rated tires.

CadillacSTS42005
09-22-06, 01:01 AM
i love my ETC Z rated...

Jesda
09-22-06, 05:44 AM
Sheesh. My 93 Accord was limited to 113mph, and that was my main reason for selling it. I'd hate to be choked at 108mph while passing.

Benjamin Simon
09-22-06, 09:16 AM
What is the speed limited on the different packages? I am guessing the 1SG is higher, right???

rb92gt
09-22-06, 01:00 PM
The other packages have at least V rated tires, which puts the speed limiter in the high 140s. You can also get W rated tires from the factory and then I believe there is no speed limiter (Cadillac states "Car is drag limited to 154mph").

RichF59
09-22-06, 02:07 PM
My 1997 Eldorado ETC has no governor. Ordered it new with the Z rated tire option. Car & Driver tested a 1995 Eldorado ETC back then and achieved a drag limited top speed of 148 MPH. Zero to 100 took 16.3 seconds. My '97 is FAST. Really moves out and comfortable too. Can drive it all day without fatigue. Great cross country cruiser.

We also have a 2006 STS AWD V8 ISG (wife's daily driver) but I've never seen any information published regarding top speed on this car, and I read all the rags. Where can I find the article quoting the 154 - 156 top speed. Would love to read it. This Cadillac is damn fast too.

There's nothing like a Cadillac!!!

rb92gt
09-22-06, 03:35 PM
Here ya go:
Cadillac STS V-8 - Road Tests - Car and Driver - August*2004 (http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/8279/cadillac-sts-v-8.html)
Stats are on last page. Great article.

cmicasa
09-22-06, 05:38 PM
I ran to the exact smae thing as well...even posted it on here and took it to the dealer. Nothing was wrong. Went back out and tried it again and guess what....

The DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER said the EXACT same thing as yours...but the Analog Speedometer KEPT ON GOING...I chilled out when I got to 121MPH, because with 20inch wheels the car allows a little more lift than I am used to.

rb92gt
09-23-06, 09:05 AM
THANKS cmicasa,
I tested it on the way home and HOLY S#*^ you are right!!! I only went to 115 because of my S rated tires, but it kept pulling. Sweeeet. Maybe the digital readout should say "You should limit your speed to 108" rather than "Speed limited to 108".

cmicasa
09-23-06, 11:32 PM
Yeah I completely agree. I think many have not noticed it simply because #1 they don't go that fast and #2 may never have it set to the "DUAL READ OUT"....

I just turn mine off in this situation now..because it saying "108 limited" is a distraction/annoyance more than anything else

rb92gt
09-24-06, 08:42 PM
Cmicasa, How do you turn off "Dual Read Out"? I can scroll through several things such as MPG, Avg MPH, Speed, etc, but don't see an option to turn off digital speed readout.

yourgmsolutions
10-02-06, 04:02 AM
Hi guys. I was reading this thread really closely, and started kind of currius about it.so I have some close relations with one cadillac dealer, technitians mostly. so I ask them this question about speed limit. this is what they told me. if you have GM tech 2 connected to your vehicle along with candi module You can overide ithe speed limit.but it has to be connected while driving. the problem with that is that set up is $3000 :eek:
however. one of the guy there said that what he did a few times for a few customers on the side, he reprogrammed ECU and something else, can't remember, he loaded a software for japan version STS and that overided pretty much everything. so I asked him, have you heard back from those people. and he said no. so i assume, no news is good news. my STS is all apart right now. I'm doing big audio/video system on it. (when done i'll post some pictures). so when i finish, I'm taking my $44K guinea pig to this guy,

ibeebugz012
10-03-06, 02:01 PM
my car has the same problem..they told me the speed limiter is set to the rating of the tire. If you find a resolution let me know..i need help too... aol screen name is ibeebugz012

sweetdivel
10-04-06, 06:26 PM
hi
as far as i read in the manual, if you have a problem with suspintion system, the onboard computer will calculate the limited speed and force the vihacle to not pass this speed depending on the status of the suspintion.

regaards

bigdog9586
10-21-06, 07:20 PM
Ask your service department if they will change it if you show them the higher rated tires on the car. It should only take a few minutes for them to do.
================

On my way home from work the other day, I was being tormented by a kid in a BMW so I figured I would put him in his place. I did... until I hit 108 in front of him and then a little message popped up- Speed limited to 108. He of course flew by me then. I was being careful around that speed, knowing that my S rated tires are rated up to 112mph, but I did not think that the car would be speed limited. I was looking forward to a nice new set of tires with a high speed rating. CRAP!! I have searched everywhere online and cannot find a device to eliminate the speed limiter in my PCM. Does this yet exist? HELP!!! Don't want to have to trade the car in already.
Thanks

Jesda
10-26-06, 07:24 AM
Well, if its any consolation at all, the brand new $85k Lexus LS460 is limited to 130mph. Yep, I can outrun it in my 17 year old Q45 (some things never change).

gothicaleigh
10-26-06, 10:07 AM
If you're riding around on S-rated tires, you shouldn't be going that fast anyways... :p

ibeebugz012
02-13-07, 11:44 AM
has anyone found a solution for this??

rb92gt
02-13-07, 04:29 PM
Speed limited is a recommendation only! Keep your foot in it, it will keep going. Make sure your tires are rated for greater than the speed you intend to drive!

ibeebugz012
02-15-07, 11:54 AM
no you seem to not understand..when my car hits 108 the fuel is cut off..so if i try to step on it anymore..it just keeps cutting fuel at 108...i know there has to be something someone can do..even though i shouldnt be going that fast..i want to at least have the option..!!!

Kadonny
02-15-07, 05:28 PM
Speed limited is a recommendation only! Keep your foot in it, it will keep going. Make sure your tires are rated for greater than the speed you intend to drive!

Yes, you are wrong. Speel limiting is not a recommendation but an actual feature of the car. It does not allow you to go over the programmed mph.

And try taking the car to a tuner, he should be able to tune it out I would think.

rb92gt
02-15-07, 07:10 PM
Well then lucky me... Mine keeps pulling hard to 120, the furthest I ever attempted to go on current tires. Only stops pulling when I lift Right foot! :)

ibeebugz012
02-15-07, 07:41 PM
do you guys know anything about hypertech programmers?? i think that could be the solution..but i am unsure..which one to get ..they dont make a specific one for the sts v8..i dont know if the engine is on other cars and maybe i could just buy one for that specific engine..someone help me..it sucks not being able to go faster than 108

carlosm1974
02-16-07, 08:21 AM
I did 120mph two weekends ago. No display prompts or other signs of a speed limiter. I could have gone faster but the car got a bit loose in the back plus my wife was in the car and I didn't want to scare her. Car has a sweet spot at 105 mph.

Car: 2005 STS
Road: US77 south of Kingsville, Tx (King Ranch)

Cajonkev
02-16-07, 02:05 PM
There is no question that the car is both speed and rev limited. These are established facts as published by GM.

The actual settings are based on which country and option package you have.

The settings can be changed however do require a Tech II to do the job and someone willing to do it for you.

I think Harry has the on-line record for taking his above 160 (I miss driving the Autobahn) at least as posted in this area of the forum. I once saw my HUD at 126 while still accelerating very nicely however had to focus on the road ahead and backed down about three seconds later without noticing where it ended up at. The governor never kicked in so I imagine I was near but not at the 133 mark which is where the US-1SG is set at I believe.

As previously noted, If you have the wheels, tires and brakes to make high speed runs then there are ways to work around the programming. If not, then put on a good CD and just enjoy the ride...

harryctsv
02-16-07, 02:27 PM
There is no question that the car is both speed and rev limited. These are established facts as published by GM.

The actual settings are based on which country and option package you have.

The settings can be changed however do require a Tech II to do the job and someone willing to do it for you.

I think Harry has the on-line record for taking his above 160 (I miss driving the Autobahn) at least as posted in this area of the forum. I once saw my HUD at 126 while still accelerating very nicely however had to focus on the road ahead and backed down about three seconds later without noticing where it ended up at. The governor never kicked in so I imagine I was near but not at the 133 mark which is where the US-1SG is set at I believe.

As previously noted, If you have the wheels, tires and brakes to make high speed runs then there are ways to work around the programming. If not, then put on a good CD and just enjoy the ride...
Hi Cajonkev,
had mine yesterday up to 276 kph ( 171 mph) on a long three lane Autobahn stretch and I think that`s it. I`m glad they don`t have the limiter in the export models.
I have on mine the stock Michelin Pilot Sport 255/45 ZR 18

My 2000 DTS which I traded in for the STS was limited at 130 mph (210 kph)
the limiter kicked in very feelable so I had it on open roads mostly around 120 mph (200 kph). The tires on my STS was H rated, what means they are allowed up to 130 mph - and the car did.
Tire ratings: H rating is up to 130 mph
V rating is up to 149 mph
Z rating is 149 +
W and Y ratings 168 mph

fastest tires are the Z rating as you see!

Harry

Cajonkev
02-16-07, 03:48 PM
Oh believe me, I know the various speed ratings Harry...:cop:

Between my former Jags (XKE & XJS both in the UK), as well as regular runs in a Diablo I have decreased plenty of "Z" treadlife in short stretches of highway too!

Not counting the 137 I did on my old 88 Honda Hurricane or the 187 I turned over at the California Speedway last year during a pre-race VIP event...:getaway:

But I no longer have room for the stable you currently keep, the roads to use them on, nor a wife that would like me to leave her with two girls to raise. Soooo, I'll have to keep my highest speeds to when I am out flying.

Watch that treadlife!

Oh, and although "W" ratings are indeed good to 168. Y's are rated up to 186 as I recall. That was always easy for me to remember since it was the reverse of the last two digits...:bouncy:

And congrats on the 171. I am a bit surprised with the CD # on this car it could safely do it!

WillySTS
02-17-07, 02:25 AM
By the way, ALL modern US cars have speed limiters but some are set over 200 mph!!!

I used a Hypertech Programmer to move my 167 MPH limit to 255 MPH on my 2002 Firehawk. With the govenor raised some have hit 175+ with a stock one.I've only been to 145 in mine.

But, I went 142 in my '99 Seville STS with the Z rated tire option, while passing a long line of cars/trucks on a 2 lane hyway. It was supposedly limited to 155.

harryctsv
02-17-07, 05:10 AM
By the way, ALL modern US cars have speed limiters but some are set over 200 mph!!!

I used a Hypertech Programmer to move my 167 MPH limit to 255 MPH on my 2002 Firehawk. With the govenor raised some have hit 175+ with a stock one.I've only been to 145 in mine.

But, I went 142 in my '99 Seville STS with the Z rated tire option, while passing a long line of cars/trucks on a 2 lane hyway. It was supposedly limited to 155.
Hi Willy, as I see you own a 07 STS V in my favorite color, what interior color do you have?
Did you had it up to top speed? Last year I was for "XLR Rendezvous I" in June in the US and we went there with my friends XLR V, he lives in Aliso Viejo/Ca. We both had it up to 158 mph when the fuel shut off but very soft, not like it was on my DTS.

Have a nice weekend

Harry

Maximln
02-18-07, 05:01 PM
I have gotten my car up to 145mph! I assumed that is was limited to 150mph like my previous 2 STS's. I looked for info on it on the internet but I couldn't find anything. I was trying to get up to 150 but I didn't quite make it. It was dark, the bluetooth started ringing, and the sunroof was leaking horribly. Right over 100, you can start hearing the wind noise and as you go faster, it gets worse. I mentioned it to my service advisor the last time I was in and he kind of chuckled. How is the tech going to troubleshoot that? Didn't Cadillac design these cars for autobahn speeds?

Max

harryctsv
02-19-07, 04:28 AM
I have gotten my car up to 145mph! I assumed that is was limited to 150mph like my previous 2 STS's. I looked for info on it on the internet but I couldn't find anything. I was trying to get up to 150 but I didn't quite make it. It was dark, the bluetooth started ringing, and the sunroof was leaking horribly. Right over 100, you can start hearing the wind noise and as you go faster, it gets worse. I mentioned it to my service advisor the last time I was in and he kind of chuckled. How is the tech going to troubleshoot that? Didn't Cadillac design these cars for autobahn speeds?

Max
Max, I get the wind noise not from the sunroof but from the front doors. It starts at 200 kph (about 120 mph) and it sounds like the window is an half inch open. Mostly it`s the drivers door but also a little on the front passenger door.
My export model isn`t speed limited and 276 kph ( 171 mph) is the fastest I`ve had it. If you have the Z-rated tires on your STS it should shut off at 155-158 mph.

Harry

ibeebugz012
02-19-07, 09:07 AM
does anyone know if hypertech makes a programmer for the sts?

rb92gt
02-19-07, 10:20 AM
I first notice wind noise from the sunroof at about 100mph, and it gets worse the faster I drive. I have also noticed noise from the driver's window, but this is more cross wind dependent, not speed dependent. For example, every morning I drive over a river on a very long bridge, and if the wind is coming from my left, it sounds as if my drivers window is open slightly.

WillySTS
02-20-07, 12:33 AM
[Hi Willy, as I see you own a 07 STS V in my favorite color, what interior color do you have?]

Light Grey interior, which is a new experience for me, I usually get dark interiors.

I've only had the V up to about 140...passing cars.

Benjamin Simon
02-20-07, 02:20 AM
140. That is crazy fast. I would love to be in the pass seat!

tatapapa
02-28-07, 03:42 PM
:) Hello all! I bought my '99 ETC in late December and have done some partial WOT's but haven't really gotten on it (due to not driving the car all that much)...until last night. I think she got up to around 125 before the limiter kicked in. I am not positive because I was looking for staties and my other half was slithering out of her seat down toward the floorboards with this "I'm gonna die" look on her face! I seem to recall my lights dimming just before/as the limiter kicked in. Anyone else experience this?:)

malnoimi
03-03-07, 04:20 PM
I can't go more than 170 km/h. can somebody help to release the meters

ssstealth
03-06-07, 10:52 AM
If you have a laptop, you can use the following software package to re-program you PCM. It will allow you to increast the speed limiter to 255MPH.

http://www.carputing.com/

tatapapa
03-06-07, 11:32 AM
Thanks very much. GREAT information!

rb92gt
03-08-07, 05:02 PM
In regards to http://www.carputing.com/
They do not make a controller for ECM in a 2006 STS V8 (RWD or AWD).
They only support 2006 FWD ECM

ssstealth
03-09-07, 07:21 AM
Quite strange... Their website states that they can control the 4.4L SC Northstar and the only car that comes in is the STS-V and the XLR-V.