: HID conversion kit for a SRX advice

blau69
09-21-06, 03:28 PM
I just picked up a 2006 SRX and would like to install a HID conversion kit since it didn't come with factory xenon lighting. Has anyone done this to their SRX before? I understand that I will have to remove the bumper to gain access to the headlight for removal. I'm just wondering if it is possible to install these HID conversion kits into the headlights? Will the back cover of the headlights interfear with the wiring for the kit? Any advice will help. Also, if anyone has a diagram/instructions on how to remove the bumper will be great. THANKS!

Smokin' SRX
09-25-06, 06:37 PM
Hi and congratulations on buying a true head-turner!! You'll never be mistaken for a Lexus or VW !!!

I have the HID lights and they are good. but I'm not sure i would buy the kit and due all the work when just blue/white bulbs are now available which really look like HID!! They just plug in like a regular bulb! PIAA makes a great one@ about $30. per bulb! (only 2 needed as hi-beams stay same and I don't even think they are HID!!!!) Don't overload the wires.stay with 55 to 65 watts! 85 watts is illegal in USA and puts a heat load on the wiring over time!

Having said that if you want the HID, be advised that "ballasts" are required as well as the bulbs! Similar to a flourescent tube bulb requires! Also a relay is needed for power load. Not sure if reflector assembly is same, but Caddillac Parts could answer that quickly! Their are kits available on-line if you search! Good Luck , welcome and enjoy!!

blau69
09-25-06, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the advice. I already purchased a HID conversion kit for the SRX but hessitant to put them in because I really dobn't want to deal with the bumper removal. I have always used those blue/white bulbs in my other cars until I upgraded to the HID conversion in my lexus. I can tell you they are about 10 times brighter than the halogen/xenon bulbs I used to use. I really want to put this conversion kit in but not sure if I will void any warranties. Also if I do decide to settle for the halogen filled with xenon, will the dealer install them when the stocks blow out?

kojack
09-27-06, 12:08 PM
nah man go for it...it cannot void warranty unless 1, you cut wires, and 2 they have to prove the HID kit was the cause of the warranty claim

Smokin' SRX
09-28-06, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the advice. I already purchased a HID conversion kit for the SRX but hessitant to put them in because I really dobn't want to deal with the bumper removal. I have always used those blue/white bulbs in my other cars until I upgraded to the HID conversion in my lexus. I can tell you they are about 10 times brighter than the halogen/xenon bulbs I used to use. I really want to put this conversion kit in but not sure if I will void any warranties. Also if I do decide to settle for the halogen filled with xenon, will the dealer install them when the stocks blow out?

DOUBTFUL THE DEALER WILL PUT YOUR BULBS IN FOR YOU, EVEN WHEN REPLACING ORIGINALS UNDER WARRANTY. THEY ARE AFRAID THEY WILL BE RESPONSIBLE IF THEY BLOW OUT AGAIN! But anything is possible if you know the service manager...................

Yes the HID are brighter. As stated by previous poster, you'll most likely be fine with your kit! Just follow directions and double fuse everything! it can't hurt! But be aware if a switch or computer problem arises......the dealer may fault YOU (especially if you cut wires!) and void warranty! Having said this..................dealers regularly install "remote starts" in vehicles!! Talk about major surgery to the wire harness!!!!!!! But if THEY did it, you're covered. Any chance the "Accessory" guy ( at every dealership) will have this done for you , by his guy???? Good luck!!!!