: My SRX Hit Head On, Need Nav Advice

Quadrasteer
09-21-06, 12:05 PM
Wife and son were driving home the other night and a drunk in a Ford Explorer hit her head on at about 40mph. She's pretty banged up and my son has back and neck injuries. They took the other driver away in handcuffs and arrested him. My car, ('05 SRX V8 AWD), did pretty well considering that the Explorer's bumper was higher and its chassis is more solid. I need some help getting my CDs and Nav disc out. The tow truck driver had to pop out that little square piece, at the top right of the shifter platform, in order to get the car out of park. He stuck a screwdriver into the hole and released something. When I hold the two battery cables together, that the fireman cut in half, the unit will not allow us to remove the discs. Even when I push foward hard on the shifter, it still dosen't work. Is there a way to get it into park or trick the system into allowing the discs to come out?

b4z
09-21-06, 02:12 PM
WHOA!

You guys are very lucky.

Thge SRX has a very stiff structure and scores high in accident protection.
I think it might be a 5 star vehicle in a frontal collision.

b4z
09-21-06, 02:13 PM
Do the doors still open?

Quadrasteer
09-21-06, 04:48 PM
I think the frontal crash rating is a 4.

Cadboy425
09-21-06, 07:15 PM
woah! Glad to hear you guys made it out alive. I assume its totaled?

Quadrasteer
09-21-06, 07:17 PM
Thanks, I hope it's totaled. I just would like to get my disc and CDs out. Any advice?

carrfixr
09-21-06, 07:24 PM
make sure when your paid off by the insurance company they add in extra for the cd's and navigation disc. there is no need to remove them

Quadrasteer
09-21-06, 07:48 PM
I'd still like to try, thanks. There might be an easy way that someone else knows. I tried to change the word " Mech" in the title to Nav but it wouldn't save the change.

Kalibr
09-21-06, 08:27 PM
Man, that picture of your SRX is painful to look at. Luckily, your family came out ok.

john d
09-21-06, 09:29 PM
Quadra - Looking at the picture and hearing of the injuries to your family makes it hard to hold back the tears .. going to miss you here if you don't get another SRX and keep communicating.
You said a head on at 40 mph... is that the combined speed or how fast just your wife was going at impact?
Any thought on combined speed if 40 mph was just your wife?
Think you'll get another SRX? If not, what?

Cadboy425
09-21-06, 09:46 PM
I'm sure the insurance company can replace the cd's. My 1999 Lexus GS300 was stolen in '00 when it was recovered (w/ a little over 10k in damage, marijauna ashes everywhere and missing alot of my stuff) I sent them a list of the cd's missing since I had the cases, I copied all the cases and sent that to them. The insurance company worked w/ some service that specialized in replacing that stuff and I got new cd's from that.

TSS
09-22-06, 08:53 AM
Of course, glad injuries were not worse....but to try to respond to your question: it seems to me that I can change music cds in the 6-disk player(NOT DVD/MAP in NAV unit) regardless of whether I am in park or not. If that is true, something else is going that is preventing ejection of BOTH cds and your MAP/DVD other than the tampered with shift-park interlock mechanism.

RedGalant2k1
09-23-06, 12:55 AM
I'm glad that your children made it out alive! I'm glad that drunk is in jail, they deserve it.

The unit can be removed and powered externally to remove your CDs. I'm sure the tow/junk yard will let you, or may even be willing to do it for you. When my car was totalled I was able to retrieve my personal belongings and even chrome wheels provided I returned with my original wheels.

Smokin' SRX
09-24-06, 12:33 PM
Quadra - Looking at the picture and hearing of the injuries to your family makes it hard to hold back the tears .. going to miss you here if you don't get another SRX and keep communicating.
You said a head on at 40 mph... is that the combined speed or how fast just your wife was going at impact?
Any thought on combined speed if 40 mph was just your wife?
Think you'll get another SRX? If not, what?

So glad they got out alive!! I imagine Quadrasteer's wife had multiple air bags deployed? (just curious)

As a point of info, speeds are not cumulative in a head on!! Your speed is what matters! Think of the opposing car/truck's speed as simply duplicating reinforced, but stationary, strenghth of a brick wall! A parked car could move with you a bit, as little reinforcement (from momentum) is available, due to no forward speed! Lesser damage! Physics are on our side in head-ons! Thank-God for that!

Wish I had idea to get those disks out!

And beware! A NON-Exploded air bag could deploy, if power is reconnected, and it shorts out! Someone in a bad position could get hurt! Best wishes to Quadrasteer!

Quadrasteer
09-25-06, 11:42 AM
Thanks a lot guys! Sorry I didn't get back sooner but all the stuff you need to do after an accident like that is taking up most of my time. She was going around 40, I don't know how fast the other guy was going. He was going straight and then made a left without yielding right of way. No signal either. Only the two front bags deployed. Not sure if I would get another SRX. Besides the quality issues and the terrible GM dealers in my area, the car rode hard and needed a little more manhandeling than my wife was used to with her Deville (which now sits in the driveway with a bad NS engine). Don't know what we would look to buy, there are so many different vehicles it's confusing. You really need to do your homework and research everything yourself.

syrob@MSN.COM
09-25-06, 01:22 PM
Thanks a lot guys! Sorry I didn't get back sooner but all the stuff you need to do after an accident like that is taking up most of my time. She was going around 40, I don't know how fast the other guy was going. He was going straight and then made a left without yielding right of way. No signal either. Only the two front bags deployed. Not sure if I would get another SRX. Besides the quality issues and the terrible GM dealers in my area, the car rode hard and needed a little more manhandeling than my wife was used to with her Deville (which now sits in the driveway with a bad NS engine). Don't know what we would look to buy, there are so many different vehicles it's confusing. You really need to do your homework and research everything yourself.

If no more SRX for you then visit LEXUS, make sure to test drive alot

SYROB

Smokin' SRX
09-25-06, 05:04 PM

Real shame! I'd look at the new '07 and see what's up! My wife wants the new GMC Acadia truck/crossover coming out by Christmas! I'd have to sell my Yukon!!!!:eek:
The Acadia is a bit larger than the SRX and comes with a high output (270 HP ?) V-6, and a 6-Speed automatic! Seats 6 adults easily, in 3 rows of buckets and either 2 or AWD available! See GM. Com for details!! Good looking!

best wishes to the Mrs!:)

Smokin' SRX
09-25-06, 05:04 PM
Might be GMC.com!! (not GM!)

dietermod
09-28-06, 08:30 PM
Tough to get to directly from GMC site. Try this.

GMC | New Vehicle Preview | Acadia (http://www.gmc.com/acadia/index.jsp?cmp=gmcard)

Quadrasteer
10-07-06, 07:50 PM
The Acadia looks good, can't wait for it though. Also it's the first year out. We are really tired of the constant problems with the GMs. We're looking at FX35s, loaded except for the sport package (stiffer ride & 20" rims) and rear entertainment (expensive & hangs down from the top). We have 5 registered GM cars now, it will be the first foreign car we've owned since my wifes '78 Corolla. The only things it ever needed were a battery and tires.