: 94 Water Pump Belt Fixed!!!

hotrails
09-20-06, 09:07 PM
Moving the tensioner by hand was exactly all I needed to do. No breaker bar needed or any tool. Once I moved it forward, I was able to slip the old belt off. I thought I would document the procedure and supply some photos to help someone else in the future.

1993, 1994 through ??? Water Pump Belt Removal and Replacement

1. Remove the 2-piece plastic cover that channels the spark plug wires. It has a smaller frontal piece you can remove to check the condition of your water pump belt. If you need to replace the belt, remove the plastic cover that goes over the center part of the engine to ending at the other cylinder bank.

2. Push the tensioner forward by hand. I pulled mine back standing over the left front fender so I could get good leverage. I slipped the belt off the tensioner wheel.

3. To completely remove the belt, you must remove the two bolts that hold the tensioner bracket to the water pump. Otherwise you cannot get the old belt off. See the pictures. These take a 10mm socket and were easy to remove.

4. Remove the tensioner assembly bracket (refer to picture of me holding it in my hand). You can now slide the old belt around the open end of the water pump and pull it up from the front where the tensioner and it's bracket were.

5. Slide the new belt on and line it up on the bottom pulley of the water pump and the top pulley that is driven from the camshaft.

6. Reinstall the tensioner assembly bracket to the water pump. Install the two bolts. Be careful not to torque too hard on these. Just enough so they are tight. Don't overtighten them.

7. Once the tensioner bracket is bolted into place on the water pump, pull the spring loaded tensioner forward again and slide the new belt into place on the tensioner wheel.

Good luck. Hopefully this can help someone else in the future.

Krashed989
09-20-06, 09:39 PM
Good job! :thumbsup:

You should put this in the tech tips section!

hotrails
09-20-06, 09:42 PM
How do I put it in the tech tips section? I haven't submitted anything there before but would like to so it would help someone else out. Ranger, can you advise on how to post to tech tips?? Or where I can find the instructions?

jackswe
01-30-07, 03:33 AM
I change my waterpump belt few days ago. Much thanks to the pictures in this post. Especially that you name wich tools size required (10 mm bolt size)
many forget to write out that, wich result that you know how to do - but don't have the right tool.
:thumbsup:

Gearheaad43
04-02-07, 01:47 PM
Is this the same for 96-97 Northstars?