: Northstar Engine Block STEEL CYL INSERTS

C170B
09-19-06, 11:27 PM
I really like the Northstar and have a curosity question about the block.

There many accounts of disassembled engines still having a strong cross hatch honing pattern in cylinders even after 200,00 miles. That is good news.

Here is the question. The block is alum alloy and the cyl is steel alloy insert so Does the coolant in the cooling jacket have DIRECT contact with steel insert?

dkozloski
09-19-06, 11:51 PM
I really like the Northstar and have a curosity question about the block.

There many accounts of disassembled engines still having a strong cross hatch honing pattern in cylinders even after 200,00 miles. That is good news.

Here is the question. The block is alum alloy and the cyl is steel alloy insert so Does the coolant in the cooling jacket have DIRECT contact with steel insert?

Cast in place, cast iron, dry, liners.

Ranger
09-20-06, 12:04 AM
I think Koz means NO. ;)

chevelle
09-20-06, 11:54 PM
The cylinder liners are cast iron, not steel. The liners are cast in place and surrounded by aluminum. The coolant does not come in contact with the liners hence they are called dry liners.

The HT4100/4.1/4.5/4.9 family of engines had an aluminum block with wet, cast iron liners. In those engines the cylinder liners were machined separately and slipped into place in the cylinder block. The coolant surrounded the liners directly thus they are wet liners.

C170B
09-23-06, 04:52 PM
Thank you for the input

I now know that N* has DRY LINERS and some prior Cadillac engines had WET LINERS

The question was prompted by my picking up a bottle of coolant Surfactant at counter of NAPA. It claimed that it would prevent corrosion of piston sleeves and I naturally wondered if my engine was rusting away from inside.
The stuff was purple liquid and looked like PURPLE PASSION.

I can remember very tough exams on surface tension of liquids. But I never really used what I learned. Hardly expected to see a purple bottle at parts
counter.

This may be inappropiate but this info on liners reminds me of a surpreme
embrassment. I was watching a Super Bowl game w my 14 yr old son and a commercial came on TV about panty liners. I did not have the remote. Think we are over the shock now and am sure some of you have had a similar experience. Don't

I

Ranger
09-23-06, 05:09 PM
"The question was prompted by my picking up a bottle of coolant Surfactant at counter of NAPA. It claimed that it would prevent corrosion of piston sleeves and I naturally wondered if my engine was rusting away from inside."

Isn't that what coolant does? Sounds like more snake oil to me?