: Front Brake Change?

DaveSRX
09-19-06, 06:37 PM
I have an 04 SRX V8 AWD and was told I need new front brakes. I am guessing I need just new pads.

Has anyone here ever changed the pads themselves? Is this hard and where can I get instructions how to do this? Where and what pads to get?

I would like to save some dollars and do this myself. Vehicle is due for inspection next month.

Thanks!

sgilbert
09-19-06, 08:40 PM
Have you ever done disc brakes before? If yes, they are equally as easy---if not, let the pros do it!

I just had all 4 wheel's brakes re-done (pads AND rotors)--by my son--who's an auto & marine mechanic. Personally, I would never tackle such a task (even though I consider mysely very mechanical). BTW, all parts were NAPA.

robhersch
09-20-06, 12:42 AM
Lots of data on brakes on this and Cad CTS forums. I do not recommend doing this yourself unless you have necessary experience; nothing more frightening than depressing brake pedal and NOT STOPPING !!!
Your Cad dealer or auto parts houses like NAPA, Pep Boys or AutoZone Stores or TireRack, (etc on-line) carry replacement pads of various qualities; but I believe in using only known high quality parts on steering and brakes (OEM or better).
I just today acquired Raybestos Quiet Stop ceramic pads (F@$77/ R@$48) vs AutoZone DG ceramic pads (F@$41/ R@$25) for my wife's 99 DeVille Concours. I plan to install myself (vs ~$175 to ~$250 per axel installed) having done both disks and drums many times; I find disk pads much simpler than drum shoes to install and adjust.
The Raybestos QS boxes have instructions printed inside the box if needed, and many parts retailers will "loan or rent" most special tools needed.
First remove the brake master cylinder cap, remove some fluid (disks require large "C" clamps to depress the wheel cylinder), depress cylinder, loosen/ remove bolts and follow the instructions. Do not forget to resurface, "mic" or otherwise validate the rotors as well as redo the wheel cylinders, "bleed" the hydraulic lines and refill the master cylinders as needed!!
Good luck!!

john d
09-20-06, 07:04 AM
Had a 90's era GM antilock system that got damaged by compressing the caliper and "reverse" flushing the fluid into the master. Have ever since attached a tight fitting diameter plastic hose to the caliper bleeder and drained into a can while compressing the caliper. Worked best using a clear plastic tube arched upward from the bleeder so as to not allow air into the caliper. I think that method also drains the "dirty" fluid from the caliper. Need new fluid added at the master before "pedal pumping" every time with this method to not introduce air into the lines at the master.
Good Luck!

DaveSRX
09-20-06, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have done brakes before on my Vettes I had in the past and in my wife's Catera that we dont have anymore. I was just wondering if it was any different with the SRX or if it is similar to other disc brake systems.

I remember seeing instructions that stated to use a new bolt after removing the old one. Is this absolutely neccessary or can I just put the old bolt back in?

wifescaddy
09-20-06, 07:18 AM
If you can do the vette you can do the srx,just remember to check how much is in the master cylinder before compressing the pistons in the calipers,if its too full itll over flow all over.No big deal just messy.Were you on corvetteforum.com when you had the vette?

DaveSRX
09-20-06, 08:22 AM
If you can do the vette you can do the srx,just remember to check how much is in the master cylinder before compressing the pistons in the calipers,if its too full itll over flow all over.No big deal just messy.Were you on corvetteforum.com when you had the vette?

Yes, I was on corvetteforum and z06vette.com. Last Vette was an 01 Z06. Had to sell after my first child was born. I look forward to the day I can get back into a Vette instead of driving a stupid minivan or the SRX. (Actually love the SRX though, but it isnt a Vette). I should just buy a CTS-V!!

wifescaddy
09-20-06, 08:25 AM
Yeah i hear ya,mine just turned 1 1/2 this month but i got to keep the vette still,73 vette with a 2004 ls1, 700r4 trans ,c5 seats,17x9.5 boyds,125 shot of nitrous,roll bar,vb&p suspension,electronblue etc.... my fun toy.:thumbsup: Im PatsLs1vette on the forum.

donjumpsuit
09-20-06, 10:37 AM
Yep,
I needed brakes for my SRX, I have changed disc brakes before, and the compression idea with the bleeder open is a good idea.

However, I thought I just needed pads, and due to the SRX having apparently playdoh for rotors, I needed front and rear pads AND front and rear ROTORS. This is at 19,000 miles, AWD, V8 ultraview. So be careful.

Smokin' SRX
09-28-06, 09:28 AM
Yep,
I needed brakes for my SRX, I have changed disc brakes before, and the compression idea with the bleeder open is a good idea.

However, I thought I just needed pads, and due to the SRX having apparently playdoh for rotors, I needed front and rear pads AND front and rear ROTORS. This is at 19,000 miles, AWD, V8 ultraview. So be careful.

Wow! In same boat! Heard the "whistleing" of the brake pads sensor, alerting to replacement needed! 19K miles AWD, '04, N*, driven hard, and all 4 wheels were very low! Luckily, rotors just needed cutting! Dealer did job for $149 per axle, plus $100. per axle for new hardware, bolts,clips,grease, etc. Total $249 per axle =$498 done!!
I found this high and the service mgr. gave me a little known discount coupon, which they had given out for "one day promo" they had, worth $75.!! Total now........ $425, plus tax! A Little better. Never had REAR pads go bad before fronts on any 4 -disc vehicle before! (but it was very close!) Definately had fronts go bad at 19 K however.

For the record..........a local mass merchandiser shop (Mavis, similar to Pep Boys or Auto Zone ) wanted $179. per axle (no mention of new hardware........hmmmmmm.......) and I trust them, as they have done other disc brake jobs for me at $69-89 per axle in the past year! But on just plain GM cars. No hardware ever needed!! Think I smell a gimmick!

guess it costs to drive a Caddy! :crybaby::alchi: :bouncy:

beekay
09-28-06, 12:41 PM
I am at 42k and I have had the brakes replaced 2 times (15k and 32k) rotors replaced at 32k. I lived on a mountain, so the windy roads ate brakes and tires fast. not that i drove slow or anything:thumbsup:
I had the dealer do the brakes and it was pricey, 800 to do all 4. i will definately do it myself next time. Rotors are much easier, when you know what is up.

now that I am in town (littleton CO) i hope to get 30k out of the brakes, and maybe not have to replace the tires each year (winter and summer tires!)
(04 SRX V8 AWD)

Smokin' SRX
09-28-06, 03:08 PM
Wow! Is that $ 800.??? Without new rotors or with? I won't complain @ $425. (w/ coupon) all 4 brakes (no rotors replaced, just cut).
Yeah, I'm getting tires. Am opting for 4 of the same, P255/55-18", in my case. ( AWD, V-8 ) Then I can rotate! (front to rear only, for best results.)

OEM tire was P235/65-18 front, and P255/55-18" rears.

donjumpsuit
10-02-06, 10:46 AM
thats without rotors,

The rotors are an easy 800 by themselves (all 4)

Smokin' SRX
10-02-06, 08:22 PM
OUCH! Thank God the rotors could be cut!!! Hope your shop/dealer has fabulous "waiting" area!!:rolleyes: :alchi: