: Found my Stolen Nav unit on Ebay, what should I do?

donjumpsuit
09-19-06, 01:43 PM
ok folks,
That nav unit we were monitoring from Pennsylvania is my unit! Ok well I am almost positive. I have one distinguishing mark on my unit. As all of you might know, the rubberized coating, where you insert the CD, frequently "flakes off". A few of you may have noticed it, and one of you even posted that you got a replacement part on warranty. Well, my distinguishing mark was that I had a small circle about the diameter of a pencap 1" directly above the left side of the CD insert slot on the "ridge" of the face of the black portion of the unit.

The ebay user, who originally posted a "file photo" of the unit did not get any bids, and reposted with a actual photo included. If you blow this photo up (picture below) you will notice a slight blemish above the left of the CD unit. I am currently requesting a higher resolution picture of the unit from him to "make sure there are no marks on it". Also, he has changed the location of the unit from Pennsylvania to CAJON, CALIFORNIA. How shady is that?!

Anyways, donjacobs12 is me. I am bidding to win. He says paypal only (which is also another fake account i have established). I am going to say there is some hold ups with paypal, and I will just mail him the money order. If he gives me a PA address, I will ask why it was located in CA on the ebay. Hopefully, he will just have me send it directly to whatever scumbag is in CA.

What else can I do?

Once again this is based on the premise that it has the same mark on the CD face I have been staring at everyday for the past year and a half. I could draw a description of this mark, like it was a child.

P.S. keep a low profile on bidding/emailing this person, so as not to evoke any suspicion.

eBay Motors: 04 05 06 Cadillac SRX OEM gps navigation unit BESTOFFER (item 160031305237 end time Sep-20-06 17:51:15 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05-06-Cadillac-SRX-OEM-gps-navigation-unit-BESTOFFER_W0QQitemZ160031305237QQihZ006QQcategoryZ 38653QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Response to my request for more images:

Yes, it replaces the stock unit, there is a very minor scuff on the trim of the unit but barely visible, the screen itself is flawless, I cannot download any more pics this far into the auction, keep in mind payment is due within 72 hours of auction end.

Kalibr
09-19-06, 02:10 PM
The seller has a fairly good feedback bistory, 95%. However, I noticed one buyer gave him a negative one stating, "BEWARE!!! SOLD ME A STOLEN CD PLAYER!! HAD TO FILE CLAIM WITH PAYPAL." Interesting, huh?

I would alert your local authorities and possibly eBay so they can monitor the seller's transactions. I wonder if there's anyway to get the serial number of your NAV unit from Cadillac in order to somehow identify the one being sold on eBay.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted!

donjumpsuit
09-19-06, 04:33 PM
Blemish confirmed this is my unit.

Final analysis would be to match the cut harness with the harness on the back of the unit.

Cadboy425
09-19-06, 05:05 PM
Have you contacted the authorities and your insurance company? I'm sure the insurance people would love to prosecute them also if they paid a claim on it.

donjumpsuit
09-19-06, 05:18 PM
I just contacted the insurance guy. The guy who actually has been working with the dealership to repair it. First of all, the quote is a little bit less than 10,000 to fix. Next thing was, I told him to make sure I had the navigation CD included in the price quote. I didn't want this expensive item to be "overlooked".
Third was I told him I found my unit on ebay. He said he could buy it (because the replacement is $4000). He also said, they would have trouble using it (whoever bought it) because its a compliated unit (the GPS hook up and all). He mentioned to call the police to see if they wanted to set up a "sting". He also mentioned no matter how much he would love to go with me and bust the guys, that he strongly advises against it (read:disclaimers).
I feel I will attempt to get a california address out of the guy (to send the money to). If he insists on sending it to PA or whereever he is, I may have to turn it over to the authorities.

Smokin' SRX
09-19-06, 07:08 PM
I just contacted the insurance guy. The guy who actually has been working with the dealership to repair it. First of all, the quote is a little bit less than 10,000 to fix. Next thing was, I told him to make sure I had the navigation CD included in the price quote. I didn't want this expensive item to be "overlooked".
Third was I told him I found my unit on ebay. He said he could buy it (because the replacement is $4000). He also said, they would have trouble using it (whoever bought it) because its a compliated unit (the GPS hook up and all). He mentioned to call the police to see if they wanted to set up a "sting". He also mentioned no matter how much he would love to go with me and bust the guys, that he strongly advises against it (read:disclaimers).
I feel I will attempt to get a california address out of the guy (to send the money to). If he insists on sending it to PA or whereever he is, I may have to turn it over to the authorities.

WoW! Why isn't the Ins. guy turning it over to his fraud division???? They have entire depts. to catch these creeps!! They could buy it secretly, and match the cut wire harness to your SRX harness cut! That's gotta be like DNA!! A search warrant would be issued and his residence will tell a story!! seems like you're doing all the hard work!! Get mad! especially if they hit you for an increase in premium!!
That's why theft continues. A safe market! Good luck!
Don't count on Ebay!! They hate neg publicity!!

Kalibr
09-19-06, 07:26 PM
I can't imagine how the repairs could be anywhere near $10k (unless they did some major damage to break into the car and pull the unit out).

It's pretty obvious that your insurance agent is taking the easy and quick road on this one. I guess reporting the case to their fraud division would involve more work for him. This is a perfect example why our insurance premiums are so freakin' high.

I would insist on him reporting it.

kelliecoo
09-26-06, 12:17 AM
Any update on this? I really hope you guys are able to catch this guy.

donjumpsuit
09-26-06, 12:05 PM
nope,
Sorry gang. The guy gave me a smoke screen. He told me he bought the unit on ebay 3 months ago. He told me the guy sold him the unit saying it was a CTS unit (yea right). He said the guy dissapeared, blah blah blah. He also said that california was where his "home office" was located and to send the money to Pennsylvania. No address for california so I can't find him, and who knows, maybe that marking is an exact replica of my marking, just a coincidence, not enough information to draw a conclusion.

I just don't think its worth tracking him down anymore. The unit is essentially useless. Where the wires are cut makes it impossible to use it as a nav system with GPS again. So basically it is a high priced DVD/CD player. I doubt it will even play DVDs since it needs the GPS hooked up to sense if the cars moving or not. Who cares.

I got my harness, unit, and most of my dash replaced, w/ a $1000 deductible. Chasing him down any more just makes me kinda mad.

Hope that helps

jjsocrazy
09-26-06, 04:33 PM
ok folks,
That nav unit we were monitoring from Pennsylvania is my unit! Ok well I am almost positive. I have one distinguishing mark on my unit. As all of you might know, the rubberized coating, where you insert the CD, frequently "flakes off". A few of you may have noticed it, and one of you even posted that you got a replacement part on warranty. Well, my distinguishing mark was that I had a small circle about the diameter of a pencap 1" directly above the left side of the CD insert slot on the "ridge" of the face of the black portion of the unit.

The ebay user, who originally posted a "file photo" of the unit did not get any bids, and reposted with a actual photo included. If you blow this photo up (picture below) you will notice a slight blemish above the left of the CD unit. I am currently requesting a higher resolution picture of the unit from him to "make sure there are no marks on it". Also, he has changed the location of the unit from Pennsylvania to CAJON, CALIFORNIA. How shady is that?!

Anyways, donjacobs12 is me. I am bidding to win. He says paypal only (which is also another fake account i have established). I am going to say there is some hold ups with paypal, and I will just mail him the money order. If he gives me a PA address, I will ask why it was located in CA on the ebay. Hopefully, he will just have me send it directly to whatever scumbag is in CA.

What else can I do?

Once again this is based on the premise that it has the same mark on the CD face I have been staring at everyday for the past year and a half. I could draw a description of this mark, like it was a child.

P.S. keep a low profile on bidding/emailing this person, so as not to evoke any suspicion.

eBay Motors: 04 05 06 Cadillac SRX OEM gps navigation unit BESTOFFER (item 160031305237 end time Sep-20-06 17:51:15 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05-06-Cadillac-SRX-OEM-gps-navigation-unit-BESTOFFER_W0QQitemZ160031305237QQihZ006QQcategoryZ 38653QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Response to my request for more images:

Yes, it replaces the stock unit, there is a very minor scuff on the trim of the unit but barely visible, the screen itself is flawless, I cannot download any more pics this far into the auction, keep in mind payment is due within 72 hours of auction end.

Was it the one I sent you?

MortnCyn
09-27-06, 11:11 AM
Surprised that there is not a stored ID number in the NAV unit. I do not have NAV so am not familiar with how they work. Is the radio part of the unit? If so, did it have XM radio and did you subscribe to XM? If so, they know your XM radio ID.