: Most useless voice command ever!

jgrade
09-19-06, 09:57 AM
After taking my STS into the dealer yet again for a problem with the express windows the dealer enlightened me about the most useless voice command ever. My problem with the express windows only happens when I close all the windows at the same time. Trying to replicate the problem at the dealer, the tech used the door switches to open and close the windows. They were unsuccessful in replicating the problem so the service manager called me to explain what was happening. He told me that they tried several times to open and close the windows and even used the voice command to open and close all the windows. Here is where I was a bit stunned.

Try this the next time you want to open the windows. Instead of using the confusing and inefficient windows switches, hit the voice command button and say, “windows down”. The VC will respond, “are you sure you want to lower all the windows; please respond yes or no” (or something like this). Respond yes and the VC says, “windows down”. Then all the windows go down. WOW! Instead of pressing a button, I get the press a button, then talk, then wait, then talk again, and then wait again, and then the windows go down. :thepan:

OK maybe not the most useless, but really close.

ARTSBEST
09-20-06, 12:58 PM
What voice command system are you referring to? I've heard it mentioned before here but don't know what all are talking about. THANKS. And your post is funny but then again after what you experienced it ain't.

jgrade
09-20-06, 05:22 PM
The car has a voice command to control many features of the vehicle like dialing the phone, changing stations, CD's, or climate control, etc.

05stslvr
09-20-06, 05:31 PM
It does take longer to use the VC than the switchs to lower the windows. But it is cooler to use the VC. I find all the cool little stuff you can do with the car simply great. But i guess its just me b/c this is my first caddy and i am not used to cool things like this. Alot of people talk shit about the car here...." this is my 14th caddy and i am not impressed" i heard someone say. I love it and its alot better than my car i traded for it.

Just my .02

DrWizard
09-20-06, 11:29 PM
Every time I say "windows down," the voice command responds with "windows help." My STS cannot distinguish between "down" and "help." Exactly how are you saynig "windows down?"

ascariSTS
09-21-06, 05:44 AM
Yea that's kinda boring... you talk then wait then talk then wait then it goes down....

I think what should happen is... you say "widows down",, it replies "open windows, yes or no"... then you say "yes"... then it goes down immediatly instead of all this...

Every time I say "windows down," the voice command responds with "windows help." My STS cannot distinguish between "down" and "help." Exactly how are you saynig "windows down?"

I was having the same problem, but i kinda figure out how to say it correctly.. say the word down like "daiwn"... or "deiwn"... and one more thing... make it sound long... the word "help" is very short and that's why the system recognize what you say as "help"... so make the word "down" longer and see the result...

tell me if it works :)

DrWizard
09-24-06, 12:53 PM
Yea that's kinda boring... you talk then wait then talk then wait then it goes down....

I think what should happen is... you say "widows down",, it replies "open windows, yes or no"... then you say "yes"... then it goes down immediatly instead of all this...

I was having the same problem, but i kinda figure out how to say it correctly.. say the word down like "daiwn"... or "deiwn"... and one more thing... make it sound long... the word "help" is very short and that's why the system recognize what you say as "help"... so make the word "down" longer and see the result...

tell me if it works :)

After several attempts, it finally worked. I have noticed a few things about the voice control. the command "windows open" can be used instead of "windows down." I have more success with "windows open" than with "windows down." Also, I gues the microphone is to the left of the ignition button. When I lean forward, it tends to 'hear' me better. You actually have to practice to become proficient with the voice commands. Thanks for the advice.

ascariSTS
09-24-06, 07:40 PM
After several attempts, it finally worked. I have noticed a few things about the voice control. the command "windows open" can be used instead of "windows down." I have more success with "windows open" than with "windows down." Also, I gues the microphone is to the left of the ignition button. When I lean forward, it tends to 'hear' me better. You actually have to practice to become proficient with the voice commands. Thanks for the advice.

hmmm i haven't tried "windows open"... i'll check it out...

That thing to the left of the ignition button is not the microphone... it's the temperature sensor... the microphone is at the bottom of the center mirror... and it's actually a very bad place for the mic... it should be right next to the sunroof buttons... being under the mirror is somehow far ... i always get problems with people hearing me over the bluetooth...

bigdog9586
10-21-06, 10:11 PM
Since I haven't picked up my new STS I was wondering if there is a list of commands that are reconized somewhere like the owners manual.

ascariSTS
10-21-06, 10:21 PM
All the voice commands are available in the Nav manual ( you will get that with the owner's manual )...

plus, commands like "cd help", "window help", "heater help", etc. will open the help menu which has nearly all the commands

nasser
10-23-06, 06:20 PM
did you try the " windows close " ?
i wonder if it will hear you with the windows open , it hardly can hear me with windows closed

DrWizard
10-24-06, 06:56 AM
I find that I have more sucess when I lean towards the microphone and slightly yell.

jgrade
10-24-06, 10:14 AM
I rarely have trouble getting the VR to hear me, but I only use the phone dial. Also, I have a new radio (unrelated prob) and the new VR now says "pardon" whenever it cannot understand you instead of nothing. It's a bit annoying but a nice change to get some feedback.