: Chaff in tailpipe?

KMO
09-18-06, 12:53 PM
So my wife calls me to say a "string" was hanging out of the tailpipe. So I say "huh"?
She says more like a "wig". Only thing I can figure (and I have not gone home to see it yet) is there was fiberglass material that came loose in the muffler? Anyone hear of this, EVER?

Kalibr
09-18-06, 01:23 PM
Either that or she ran over a bald guy. LOL

c5 rv
09-18-06, 02:10 PM
The only thing I've heard close to that is mice building nests in Corvette exhaust pipes while in winter storage. Some owners put steel wool in the exhaust tips to keep them out. That said, I'll vote for hitting the bald pedestrian.

wifescaddy
09-18-06, 03:34 PM
Guys i have my muffler off my srx right now and it has fiberglass packing in it,kind of wraps around the inside of the muffler.Thats most likely what shes seeing coming out.Could be that the muffler is starting to rot inside and let it come out.Like what c5rv is kind of saying the older vettes on there sidepipes had fiberglass wrappinginside them to help quiet them down,most likely cadillac is doing the same thing.

Smokin' SRX
09-19-06, 09:41 AM
Guys i have my muffler off my srx right now and it has fiberglass packing in it,kind of wraps around the inside of the muffler.Thats most likely what shes seeing coming out.Could be that the muffler is starting to rot inside and let it come out.Like what c5rv is kind of saying the older vettes on there sidepipes had fiberglass wrappinginside them to help quiet them down,most likely cadillac is doing the same thing.

Was that your wife racing mine the other day? Ours does 0-60 in under 7 secs.............. daily!!! The N* really moves ! Was wondering why the front tire edges are wearing so soon! Guess I'll be seeing "string" soon too!! :confused:

How many miles?? N* or Hi-Output V-6 ??

KMO
09-19-06, 11:49 AM
Sure enough... looks like it is going into the shop... looks like hair coming out of the exhaust pipe.

KMO
09-20-06, 10:48 AM
Took it to the shop this morning... they were VERY interested in the issue. They are looking at it now.

KMO
09-20-06, 08:57 PM
They replaced my muffler... or I should say, mufflers... everything from the cat back.

john d
09-20-06, 10:39 PM
They replaced my muffler... or I should say, mufflers... everything from the cat back.
How many miles?

KMO
09-21-06, 11:22 AM
42K miles.

c5 rv
09-21-06, 12:50 PM
Sure enough... looks like it is going into the shop... looks like hair coming out of the exhaust pipe.

At 42K it's getting to be middle aged. Some of us have hair that starts to grow out of our ears.

KMO
09-21-06, 01:14 PM
At 42K it's getting to be middle aged. Some of us have hair that starts to grow out of our ears.

Right there with you friend! The one thing I will never do is a comb-over for the hairline though. Short is the only way to go. if I have to go the razor route... I will.

b4z
10-09-06, 03:57 PM
It's an epidemic! LOL.

Mine has it too at 32K miles.

It's in the shop right now for a non start condition.

b4z
10-10-06, 06:09 PM
Complete catback system ordered for my car also.
Will be installed next week.

b4z
10-11-06, 03:58 PM
Retail for the tailpipe assembly is $1400!!!
parts guy says it comes in a box about 8' long and 5'wide.

Let's all hope that these things go out on us while under warranty.