: 1999 Catera Sport

guardian
09-18-06, 11:10 AM
A rare and special Catera is the 1999 Catera Sport. I think it's a collector's item. If you own one of these take a bow, and hang onto it.:thumbsup:

With only 2000 of these cars having been manufactured back in 1999, one can only guess how many remain in circulation today. Here below is more on this very unusual Cat, an article written back at the time of its introduction. See in particular the final paragraph:

In a move to capture a greater share of the entry-luxury segment, Cadillac announced it is adding a sport edition and revising marketing efforts on its popular Catera sedan. The Catera Sport will go on sale in mid-May '99, with the extra equipment estimated to add less than $800 to Catera's $34,180 base price. The new model is designed to appeal to the sport-oriented set -- thirty-something men and women who enjoy driving and desire more control behind the steering wheel.

According to John Smith, Cadillac's general manager and General Motors vice president, the entry-luxury segment has been steadily growing with the U.S. economy. At the same time, the segment has become more fragmented as consumers' tastes have become increasingly specialized. "Since its introduction two years ago," said Smith, Catera has been delivering on the promise to bring new, young -- including female -- consumers to Cadillac.

Catera's blend of European handling and Cadillac luxury has received critical acclaim from the motoring press and given us a growing foothold in the entry-luxury segment. "We believe there are opportunities to make Catera an even more interesting choice in the segment," he added. "Sport buyers are looking for a basically sound and competent package but with components that give it an edge, in both looks and feel. Catera's excellent ride and handling and outstanding braking help communicate one of Cadillac's leading benefits well - precise all-weather control. But we can do more."

Cadillac is also revising the marketing campaign for Catera.....sans the well-known duck. According to Catera Brand Manager Jay Spenchian, the duck was effective in generating awareness, but consumers felt it trivialized what is a very substantial sedan. "The sport edition fits perfectly with Catera's 'luxury that's fun to drive' positioning," said Spenchian, "but we have retired the duck to focus awareness on the impressive performance of the vehicle. We'll also continue to reach our target consumers in unexpected venues such as upscale restaurants, art museums, mountain biking races and music events across the country."

Available in Ebony, Ivory or Platinum exterior paint, the Catera Sport features new 16-inch, 7-spoke aluminum wheels mated to H-rated Goodyear P225/55R16 tires; firmer suspension tuning with automatic load-leveling; specific grille; rear decklid spoiler and more aggressively styled rocker moldings. Interior appointments include black articulating sport leather seats with adjustable thigh bolsters, driver and passenger side-impact airbags (Catera's first) and gun-metal trim. Like all 1999 Cateras, the Sport also features electronic throttle control and a new torque converter for improved off-the-line launch feel. Spenchian said the Sport is not a one-time "spring special," but a permanent model that will be offered again in the 2000 model year and beyond. Its low-volume production -- approximately 2,000 units in 1999 -- should also appeal to the luxury consumers' penchant for exclusivity.

CateraSport2000
09-18-06, 02:39 PM
Yes, they are "rare" as they only make up about 2% of total Catera sales. I almost bought one a few years back but decided on a 2000 because the '99 sports don't have all that much to offer except a spoiler, different rims, sport seats, and some faux aluminum trim. 00 and above gives you the xenons, 17" rims, even sportier tuned suspension, and all the goodies that came with the redesign (but that's a matter of preference).

I've seen a few on ebay and like any Catera they don't seem to fetch much money.

If I was rich and a glutton for fixing cars, I'd have a '99 to go along with my '00.

Jeff

weister42
09-18-06, 08:33 PM
They don't fetch much money b/c of their reliability issues and expensive parts, but Cateras are nice cars and if you own one everyone in town will know you. They are a rare breed of Cadillacs and like mentioned above I would like to have a 2000-01 Catera if I have the money.

Didn't someone put a Corvette engine into his Catera???

RacerMike
11-12-06, 02:44 PM
I just bought a 99 Catera Sport. It only has 83k miles on it and is in great condition. It even has the rare option of heated seats in the front and rear. I hope its going to be a good car. I have question, how many watts is the Bose stereo system?? I was thinking about replacing it but why spend the money if its already good enough...

guardian
11-12-06, 02:57 PM
I just bought a 99 Catera Sport. It only has 83k miles on it and is in great condition. It even has the rare option of heated seats in the front and rear. I hope its going to be a good car. I have question, how many watts is the Bose stereo system?? I was thinking about replacing it but why spend the money if its already good enough...

Holy Sh--! Where did you find the car? I think you are the only guy on here with a super rare '99 sport.

Are you sure it's a sport? What are you going by to be sure? '99 standard Cats are easy. Your car, if it's a sport, why you have a gen-u-ine collector's item there.

Take good care of that car.:tisk:

Someday there'll be a museum that wants it!:)

And congratulations for owning the rarest Cat of all!!! Wow!!

guardian
11-12-06, 03:07 PM

Hey how about some photos!

Most posters here have never laid eyes on a '99 Catera Sport.

and that includes me.

We want proof!:) We want proof!:)

And good luck with the car, you lucky dog.

Enjoy it.

frustratedinIA
11-12-06, 09:33 PM
Take a look at the silver Sport on Ebay. Is it the real deal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-Catera-Sport-Very-clean_W0QQitemZ300048115715QQihZ020QQcategoryZ6145 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

guardian
11-12-06, 10:18 PM
Take a look at the silver Sport on Ebay. Is it the real deal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-Catera-Sport-Very-clean_W0QQitemZ300048115715QQihZ020QQcategoryZ6145 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think it's the real deal. Very unusual and slick car. Also . . . . .

Car looks amazing considering the miles. The seller most likely does not realize how rare this car is.

But there's no way to know how much he wants for the car. I HATE reserve auctions. They suck - big time.

Northstar321
11-16-06, 10:28 PM
I have a Black on Black 99 sport 109k that I picked off Ebay last month.

Want to meet the "Caddy Tech" that rebuilt this top-end after catastrophic at 83k.

Blew head gaskets on drive home, thought it was my fault, till I broke the engine down, don't think this tech owned a torque wrench, never mind a angle meter. many cam bolts lifted/loose, 1 headbolt never even tightened, which tells me he never made a second pass, never mind 3rd, 4th or 5th.

I always read post about bad service, when it comes to "catera techs" or Techs as a general rule, now I know why.

guardian
11-17-06, 09:34 AM
I have a Black on Black 99 sport 109k that I picked off Ebay last month.

Want to meet the "Caddy Tech" that rebuilt this top-end after catastrophic at 83k.

Blew head gaskets on drive home, thought it was my fault, till I broke the engine down, don't think this tech owned a torque wrench, never mind a angle meter. many cam bolts lifted/loose, 1 headbolt never even tightened, which tells me he never made a second pass, never mind 3rd, 4th or 5th.

I always read post about bad service, when it comes to "catera techs" or Techs as a general rule, now I know why.

God what a horror story!

Many techs, including many working within Caddy dealerships, should never get within ten feet of a Catera. Period.

I have written about this MANY times in this forum - not your particular situation - but about the matter in general. Many Caddy dealerships never got on board with Catera. It cost $50K to buy in back in '96. And only those dealerships that bought in received Catera training for their techs. Of course by now many of those Catera-trained techs have moved on and found other employment.

If you are comfortable doing so, please tell the group where (city and state, only) you bought the car - if you think that might be where your Cat received such inept treatment. Knowing this might serve as a warning to other Catera owners living in that area - a warning to be REALLY careful where they have their Cat serviced.

Also, do you think the PO had had warning the car was about to fail?? Did you drive it very far before the catastrophe?

Hope things are better now and that you are enjoying your very rare Black Cat.

Northstar321
11-18-06, 03:43 PM
F.C. KERBECK
PALMYRA, NJ
Someone else may have had there hands in it from 83k to 109k, but not likely.

I am a Caddy Tech "21yrs", and it piss's me off when I see work like this. Catera's are very hard to work on compared to the average caddy, completely different mind set, but workmanship doesn't change.

I am by no means a Catera expert, but can figure it out eventually, even the repair manuals we have were not translated properly, which makes it even harder to deal with the electronics, but mechanically its just another power train, hell no harder than Northstar's.

I bought it not knowing these things, and going from PA to work in RI, the head gasket let go in CT, just kept going and refilled at every rest area.

Now has,
top end reseal done right.
all new hoses
new radiator
new oil cooler
new water pump, timing belt and idler
and many other parts just worn or dead

Now for the transmission glitch in economy mode...lol.

Kcryan
11-18-06, 05:21 PM
Catera valuable??? something tells me i dont see it...mabye im wrong, but if your logic is right, then my allante should be quite valuable as well seeing to the fact that they only made 1900 of them total in 1992..

In other news, yes that ebay link is a real sport 99 and its actually just down the road from me

guardian
11-18-06, 09:02 PM
. . . . . . In other news, yes that ebay link is a real sport 99 and its actually just down the road from me

If you were able to examine the car, please share your evaluation and opinion of it.

Much to my surprise it sold. That's unusual with reserve auctions, which I personally dislike.

The car went for $3500 and the winning bidder was willing to pay more. You can tell this from his bidding pattern at the end. He entered a covering bid which, however, was never challenged.

I thought it looked like a really nice Catera considering the high miles. It brought pretty good money IMO.

And of course any 1999 Sport is a rare breed of Cat.

RacerMike
11-18-06, 09:09 PM
Holy Sh--! Where did you find the car? I think you are the only guy on here with a super rare '99 sport.

Are you sure it's a sport? What are you going by to be sure? '99 standard Cats are easy. Your car, if it's a sport, why you have a gen-u-ine collector's item there.

Take good care of that car.:tisk:

Someday there'll be a museum that wants it!:)

And congratulations for owning the rarest Cat of all!!! Wow!!

I know its a sport, it has the sport button, sport rims, sport seats, spoiler everything. I didn't know that this car was so rare... aparently the dealer didn't know either or it just doesn't matter in the price because I only paid $5 grand for it.

guardian
11-18-06, 09:40 PM
I know its a sport, it has the sport button, sport rims, sport seats, spoiler everything. I didn't know that this car was so rare... aparently the dealer didn't know either or it just doesn't matter in the price because I only paid $5 grand for it.

You did great!

I love the seats in that car! Very unusual.

Am not sure rarity results in higher price in this case . . . . at least not yet. But it is super cool that you own a car of which so few ever were manufactured.

And only God knows how many 1999 Catera Sports survive today. I do believe the car will become a collector's item. It is the first Catera Sport and the rarest Cat of all.

On chance you might not know, the 1999 Catera Sport suspension became the standard Catera suspension in 2000. This continued in 2001 on the standard Cats.

2000 and 2001 Catera Sports have a different, more stiff, suspension than your car.

Enjoy that special Cat!!:)

mzacherl
01-03-07, 11:35 PM
I was fortunate enough to acquire a 1999 Catera Sport a year ago. It had only 35000 miles when we got it and still paid very little for it. We did however have a big mishap when the 2nd drum clutch cracked, but hey, we all love a good warranty. Other than that the car is awesome. White exterior with Black interior; I just love it, a great car and have had very minor problems overall since we got it.

elvin315
01-08-07, 02:50 PM
Maybe you '99 Sport owners can answer my question. I'm looking to jazz up my 2001 Catera Sport. Nothing radical, just a subtle restyling. From pictures I've seem it looks like the side sills (between the front and rear wheel wells) are different from the ones on my car. Yours look slightly scuplted while mine are straight. Can you verify this for me? Maybe I can save some money buying Cadillac replacement sills here instead of buying a wilder set from Steinmetz or Irmscher in Europe with the added shipping cost.

Elvin

elvin315
01-08-07, 02:58 PM
Msg Deleted.

elvin315
01-08-07, 02:59 PM
Msg Deleted.

elvin315
01-08-07, 03:16 PM
I think I've got it now.

2001 Catera Sport: see how flat mine are compared to your?
http://i5.pbase.com/o6/69/14969/1/72707619.xgk6Li2e.1f0f.jpg

1999 Catera Sport: It's a subtle difference but I like yours better.
http://i5.pbase.com/o6/69/14969/1/72707632.nLY8ukTh.4dd0.jpg

ceaborn
01-08-07, 03:49 PM
If one of you guys really wants one of these 99 Sports then here is an oppourtunity. This is an ended auction for a 1999 Catera sport on eBay that did not sell at 1 bid of $3000 with a buy it now of $5300. White with black Int.
108,033. miles see...

Cadillac : Catera sport 1999 Cadillic Catera
If the liink does not work try...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Catera-sport-1999-Cadillic-Catera_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6145QQihZ002QQit emZ120067080121QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Click on cotact seller and see what they want?

guardian
01-08-07, 10:12 PM
If one of you guys really wants one of these 99 Sports then here is an oppourtunity. This is an ended auction for a 1999 Catera sport on eBay that did not sell at 1 bid of $3000 with a buy it now of $5300. White with black Int.
108,033. miles see...

Cadillac : Catera sport 1999 Cadillic Catera
If the liink does not work try...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Catera-sport-1999-Cadillic-Catera_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6145QQihZ002QQit emZ120067080121QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Click on cotact seller and see what they want?

Excellent post . . . . .

But so many miles; I pretty much agree with the eBay bidder. You gotta buy Cats cheap. O'wise there's too much risk.

Even special Cats . . . . . are still Cats.