: 2006 STS and HID

big-tex
09-18-06, 10:35 AM
While I love my new V6 2006 Cadillac STS. I am ticked that you have to get the upper end packages in order to get the HID lights. I inquired on how much it would cost to get HID added, and the parts counter quoted roughly $2800CDN + labour. This is for the entire housing, etc.

So I'm curious, how difficulty is it to open up the existing lights and put in an HID conversion kit instead?

netrave
09-23-06, 04:11 PM
i was interested in doing the same thing... but im not so sure there is a different housing... all the STS's come with Projector housings... i would imagine its the same housing, just adding, balasts and bulbs to your existing housing...

you can do it CHEAP if you want with an HID conversion kit from ebay... but i have been skeptical about that... i paid 66k for my fully loaded STS and it didnt come with HID's... i didnt want to throw a cheap set of $250 hid lights in that car...

so if you find a good answer let me know as well...

997tt
09-23-06, 11:01 PM
its quite simple.... the latter msg is right. change the bulbs.. im guessing their D2S' (not 100% sure though) and add new ballasts... its quite a simple process.... everyone does it... i mean theres tons of people doing these conversions to their fog lights......

hybridchaos
09-25-06, 01:39 AM
hows it going........ soon after i had bought my 2006 sts fully loaded i had the hid kit put in........... they are h11 bulbs......... i do not suggest doin it yourself....... i sat and watched as the ppl i took it to put them in and it took around 4 hours and you have to remove the front bumper the entire headlight and both tiers....... all in all it costed me a lil over $400 dollers

big-tex
09-25-06, 06:00 PM
I suspected that it was going to be as complex as the CTS HID conversion as well. I could deal with paying around the $500 to $1000 mark, but the quote that I got from the dealership is a little too rich for my tastes.

This is really the thing that irks me about the Cadillac line up. When Acura and others are putting HID as standards on their cars, we still have to get the top trimline in order to get it on our cars. Geeze.

997tt
10-11-06, 11:37 AM
I suspected that it was going to be as complex as the CTS HID conversion as well. I could deal with paying around the $500 to $1000 mark, but the quote that I got from the dealership is a little too rich for my tastes.

This is really the thing that irks me about the Cadillac line up. When Acura and others are putting HID as standards on their cars, we still have to get the top trimline in order to get it on our cars. Geeze.

at least you have standard keyless go...and they don't have it as an option (i beleive, last time i checked, don't quote me on this)