: DVD/Nav system--use while driving

STSgirl
09-17-06, 10:12 PM
Hasn't anyone, by now, figured out how to get the DVD and all the Nav features to work while driving??? I would be HUGELY greatful to people who can tell me what the "trick" is:thumbsup:

BarryNS
09-18-06, 12:34 AM
I've been on this forum ever since the 2005's came out and I've had a lot of time to think about this. First of all, with all the brains we have out there it would be hard for me to believe that nobody has figured it out.

However, those same smart people have probably already figured out that they would be putting themselves in legal jeopordy revealing the information. First of all, it might be protected information and will subject anybody revealing it to the ire of GM. Secondly if somebody got into an accident, presumably because of modifying the navigation system secondary to that gained knowledge, I think the revealer would be subject to a law suit both by the injured person, his family, and also GM. Of course it is not over until the judge speaks, but in the interim their could be a lot of grief.

So, I would suggest you figure it out for yourself and then don't tell anybody.....or as I did in my previous car, buy and install a third party unit such as a Garmin or Horizon Navigation system. They stay on all the time.

I wonder if anybody else here has any comments in this regard.

Rocky315
09-18-06, 07:44 AM
If its the same as the CTS you hold 2 of the lower buttons down and then click the seek button to watch DvDs well you drive...... if I remember correctly its been a while since I did that only for my girl when on long trips.

STSgirl
09-18-06, 03:58 PM
I understand the liability...we also have a motor home, and the TV wouldn't work on the road. We made a little plug swap to get it to work while going down the road. We were told that since we are responsible for it working, we are the ones open to a lawsuit if we get into a wreck while having it on...not the person who told us to do it.
Also, all of us here are using screnn names, and don't know the true identity of the posters, unless they reveal it.

THANX Rocky...I'll give your idea a try.:thumbsup:

jgrade
09-19-06, 03:04 PM
Notice in the last picture that the spedo is at Zero! How about a picture where the spedo is above 5mph. Having the can in drive means nothing. You can access anything in the nav system as long as the car is not moving faster then 5mph. Not impressed.

xxcaddytech
09-19-06, 04:04 PM
i wish i had a diagram of the system it can't be that impossible to figure out. just guessing but if you could by-pass what the nav -see's-when you go from park to drive (resistance's) it should be possible to duplicate it. that is a guess as i have not seen the wiring diagram. even if it is a software issue the computer still only knows what the sensor is telling it (maybe wire an alternate speed sensor to the system so it reads 0mph?) any imput is appreciated....jeff

STSgirl
09-19-06, 10:06 PM
Notice in the last picture that the spedo is at Zero! How about a picture where the spedo is above 5mph. Having the can in drive means nothing. You can access anything in the nav system as long as the car is not moving faster then 5mph. Not impressed.
GREAT POINT!!!
I think it's crazy that someone has figured it out, and is charging $500 bucks for the info. Reminds me of that fake cookie email scam...maybe I should just buy it and them distribute it for free. :thepan:

netrave
09-20-06, 10:58 AM
i would buy it right now if i was sure it would work... whats our garantee? and this module... where do you put it?

netrave
09-20-06, 11:01 AM
im not one for saying im sure about anything, but if you look at the picutres carefully, the parking brake light is on, on the dash, which means, the first pics where it says pic is not avaible were also taken while the car wasnt moving...

yourgmsolutions
09-20-06, 11:16 AM
i wish i had a diagram of the system it can't be that impossible to figure out. just guessing but if you could by-pass what the nav -see's-when you go from park to drive (resistance's) it should be possible to duplicate it. that is a guess as i have not seen the wiring diagram. even if it is a software issue the computer still only knows what the sensor is telling it (maybe wire an alternate speed sensor to the system so it reads 0mph?) any imput is appreciated....jeff

what diagramm are you looking for.I can give you all chematics that you want. but let me explain how it works. on the back of the nav radio there is a gray plug with green wire in it.(pin#15) that is a data wire, witch comunicates with body control module. so in order to watch movies in motion, you cut that wire, and one side goes to the the add on module, and out of that module another wire goes to BCM.
so every time you shift to drive. this new module blocks the command to disable screen from the BCM .and it's all done by the data. they call it ( GM LAN ). some Navigation functions such as enter new destination etc. may still not work while you driving. I think the Nav Radio has a GYRO sensor built in. but video portion works fine.

leojhartiv
09-20-06, 12:02 PM
gm_geek,

I'm certainly interested in a few of the products you mentioned: the iPod integration kit and something that would allow me to display video AND completely control navigation while driving at ANY speed. However, I do think the people on the forum are looking for something a bit more substantial than your forum post on how the thing works, how it is installed and what guarantees there are. I went to your website, as suggested, but didn't see too much on the specific products you mentioned. Is that because these are not available yet?

Just looking for a bit more info and reassurrance.

Thanks!
Leo

yourgmsolutions
09-20-06, 12:30 PM
gm_geek,

I'm certainly interested in a few of the products you mentioned: the iPod integration kit and something that would allow me to display video AND completely control navigation while driving at ANY speed. However, I do think the people on the forum are looking for something a bit more substantial than your forum post on how the thing works, how it is installed and what guarantees there are. I went to your website, as suggested, but didn't see too much on the specific products you mentioned. Is that because these are not available yet?

Just looking for a bit more info and reassurrance.

Thanks!
Leo

I mentioned on my web site that is under construction. i work on it when I have a free time. but I hope you've seen my phone number there, so you or somebody else can contact me if you don't see what you looking for.
I don't have much product for STS, coz I just got mine resently. but I've got a few things, soon will have more. at the same time I have a lot of info about this vehicle, so if somebody has any technical questions, I'll be glad to help.
I work with almost 24 GM dealers , designing and installing many different electronics components. if any body here needs any manuals, diagramms, parts, or how to ... I can try to help.
like i said before I'm not reallytrying to sell anything here.
it just when I go to the dealer to fix car after it's been at the local stereo shop. I get mad
I saw a web site, where the guy is helping people with their CTS's. he is very knowlegeble. and i liked it a lot and i want to help too as much as i can
is there anything wrong with that ?
Cadillac CTS / CTS-V and STS / STS-V Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (http://cadillacfaq.com/) is his web site

yourgmsolutions
10-02-06, 11:58 PM
i would buy it right now if i was sure it would work... whats our garantee? and this module... where do you put it?

You don't have to worry about this no more.
this case is closed

leojhartiv
10-03-06, 07:21 AM
What do you mean, "this case is closed"?

leojhartiv
10-03-06, 07:25 AM
Ooops...nevermind. Just read the other thread.