: 2000 STS Error Codes

Langweer2
09-17-06, 04:00 PM
Last week while on vacation my check engine light came on. I stoppped by a GM dealer to see if it was anything serious. Two codes were present. P0385 Crank Sensor and P1860 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid. Does anyone know how difficult (or expensive) repairs to either of these two items might be?

caddydaddy
09-17-06, 09:09 PM
The crank sensors aren't that expensive, but the torque convertor clutch solenoid I belive is pretty deep inside the transmission. Thus, that one will be expensive to fix!

Ranger
09-17-06, 10:00 PM
Caddydaddy is correct. The good news is that you can ignore the TCC solenoid. It locks the torque converter above 41 MPH for milage. Worst case is that the converter will have some minor slippage and your engine will run about 200 RPM higher at any given speed at the cost of about 1 MPG.

Langweer2
09-18-06, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I have a Wynn's Extended Care warranty that came with the car when I bought it. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they don't try and weasel out fixing either of these items.

Jamler
09-25-06, 03:22 PM
I just experienced the Crank Sensor issue... CODE P0385. They come in pairs, Caddy suggested replacement of both!!! Starts nicely now... :burn: