: Extension housing bushing, THM 2004R

guidematic
09-17-06, 07:24 AM
It looks like I have a potential problem brewing with my '86 Fleetwood.

On the highway the other day, it began to vibrate badly on throttle liftoff. So bad in fact that the dash vibrated. Then the smoke started to pour out of the back of the car. When I made it home, I discovered the rear trans seal was gone and the fluid was running out.

I have yet to take out the driveshaft, to inspect it, but I suspect I know what the problem will be. These THM2004R's are notorious for wearing out the extension housing bushing.

Therin lies the real problem. The rear housing is not removeable, and normally would require transmission removal and diassembly to replace this bushing.

But, Kent-Moore released a tool that removes and replaces the bushing while the transmission is still in the car. In the past I have tried to obtain this tool, but with no success.

Does anyone here know how I can obtain one, or better still, of another tool manufacturer that makes one that I can buy, preferrably at a better price than what Kent-Moore would ask.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

guidematic
09-18-06, 06:24 AM
Update.

I pulled off the driveshaft yesterday and discovered that onlu a small amount ot the slip yoke was actually riding in the transmission. There is heavy were marks on the end of the yoke.

On further invetigation, I discovered the shaft was seriously out of phase, by as much as 20 degrees! Also, it's a 2 pieces shaft with the rubber isolating bushing joining them. It appears that the rear section has slipped into the front actually concealing a weight welded on to it!

So, I think I have found the problem. I just have to verify my findings and measurements with a known good shaft.

Mike

AElayyat
09-18-06, 10:17 PM
It looks like I have a potential problem brewing with my '86 Fleetwood.

On the highway the other day, it began to vibrate badly on throttle liftoff. So bad in fact that the dash vibrated. Then the smoke started to pour out of the back of the car. When I made it home, I discovered the rear trans seal was gone and the fluid was running out.

I have yet to take out the driveshaft, to inspect it, but I suspect I know what the problem will be. These THM2004R's are notorious for wearing out the extension housing bushing.

Therin lies the real problem. The rear housing is not removeable, and normally would require transmission removal and diassembly to replace this bushing.

But, Kent-Moore released a tool that removes and replaces the bushing while the transmission is still in the car. In the past I have tried to obtain this tool, but with no success.

Does anyone here know how I can obtain one, or better still, of another tool manufacturer that makes one that I can buy, preferrably at a better price than what Kent-Moore would ask.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

I have the same problem going on with my 85 Fleetwood Brougham. Every trans shop that I go to looks at me like I'm crasy or I'm on drugs when I explain to them that the output shaft is ridding on the tranny housing. I am still trying to get this problem fixed.

For you drive shaft issue you will have to go to a drive shaft fabricator and have them make a new 1 piece drive shaft for your Caddy. You could find one in your local phone book or shops that do this type of work for limos.

Good luck finding out the problem. If you have any suggestions for that out put shaft (yolk) for the tranny please let me know. Thanks.

guidematic
09-19-06, 08:07 AM
Yesterday I went on a quest to find a good used shaft. I went to 6 wreckers, tape measure in hand, before I found one.

One of the first wreckers I went to had an '89 with the shaft still in it, but then when he flipped the car, he bent it. But, I made some measurements and found the shaft to be 1 1/2" longer.

I finally located one, but by the time I got home it was pouring down rain, so I could not put it in. I'm going the put it in today and see how it goes.

I went to a driveline shop as well and querried about having a shaft made. They could do it for a cost of Approx. $400. In converstion, he doubted my findings as well. He said he's never seen that sort of thing before.

I must admit it's a first for me as well.

Mike

boatman
04-11-07, 04:11 PM
suprised you cant find a longer shaft and reuse the yoke. Maybe from a Camaro???