: BIG problem

smoey847
09-16-06, 04:33 PM
So, I purchased my '05 STS V8 w/navigation, etc. about a month ago. It only came with the FOB labeled "2". So, I looked on eBay and found one labeled "1". I purchased it, and successfully programmed it to my car. Problem is, I don't know how to program it to either of my driver settings (personal greeting, seat placement, steering wheel position, radio, etc.) I have the FOB programmed under the FOB#3. I could not find the option to program it as one. Please help. IT would be greatly appreciated.

BarryNS
09-17-06, 09:24 AM
If you have the Supplemental Owners Navigation Manual for this car, go to Section 5 and it will answer your questions. No need to repeat it all here. If you don't have the Navigation manual, any answer here would just be a drop in the bucket. You can get a copy of both the Owners manual and the Supplamental Navigation manual on line by going to Cadillac: Cadillac Official Website, Luxury Cars, Trucks & SUVs (http://www.Cadillac.com) and then going to the ownership section and registering you car. Then (with difficulty, I admit) you can find the 'glove box' option which will allow you to see all the manuals you can download to your computer.

big-tex
09-18-06, 11:56 AM
I'm in Canada, so I get GMCanada.com and myGMCanada.com websites. I've registered my car there, but there doesn't appear to be a 'glove box' section. Can someone download the PDF of the various manuals for the V6 2006 Cadillac STS and post somewhere? (Or PM to email me?) I'd love to have the electronic ones.

BarryNS
09-18-06, 12:13 PM
I'm in Canada, so I get GMCanada.com and myGMCanada.com websites. I've registered my car there, but there doesn't appear to be a 'glove box' section. Can someone download the PDF of the various manuals for the V6 2006 Cadillac STS and post somewhere? (Or PM to email me?) I'd love to have the electronic ones.

Try this. Go to 'www,cadillac,com' [ message keeps converting the UrL so I have put commas instead of periods between section] and click on 'ownership' button in right lower corner. On the right side of the next page, click on "go to Owner Center". If you've registered your car here, a picture of your car will appear and underneat it is a button called "vehicle Home" When you go to that page there is a menu on the left side that includes "glove box"

I have difficult finding this everytime.

If you still can't get to it, I need an email address to send the manuals to you.

big-tex
09-18-06, 01:36 PM
Going directly to cadillac.com and picking the United States instead of Canada did the trick. I had to register using location information from my US office so that it'd let me in but it worked. Didn't recognize my VIN, but I found the glovebox and downloaded the manuals. There is certainly a lot more things in this myGMLink.com system than mygmcanada.com site!

Thank you!!

smoey847
09-20-06, 10:12 PM
Hey. Thanks for the attempts to help. Unfortunately, I found nothing in the Navigation Manual about what i'm talking about. Restating, I have already programmed the remote to FOB #3. I just need for Driver 1 to be recognized when I use my new remote...

Going directly to cadillac.com and picking the United States instead of Canada did the trick. I had to register using location information from my US office so that it'd let me in but it worked. Didn't recognize my VIN, but I found the glovebox and downloaded the manuals. There is certainly a lot more things in this myGMLink.com system than mygmcanada.com site!

Thank you!!

BarryNS
09-22-06, 04:07 PM
. I just need for Driver 1 to be recognized when I use my new remote...

OK, I understand now. The big question is whether your car was orignally issued in the USA or in Canada. For US cars, we can start from scratch, erase all previous linked Fobs and start programming starting with FOB 1. Then 2 thru 4 can be programmed. In a Canadian Car, the owner cannot start a totally new linkage and you have to go to the Cadillac dealer to do that. Once he reprograms your FOB it will start at #1 and then you can program # 2 and #3 yourself.

Basically in the US there is a procedure that takes over 1/2 hour for the owner to reprogram ALL fobs to an entirely new linkage, assuming that all fobs were lost and the new one is not linked. That can't be done in Canada, or so they say.

smoey847
09-22-06, 11:10 PM
OK now, this is what i'm looking for. So, do you know how to delete all of the FOBs? If so, once completed, do you just resume the same steps I used to program this FOB?

BarryNS
09-22-06, 11:46 PM
If your car was produced for the US market originally, then I would go to the main operators manual for the car and go to Section 2, page 7 and it explains in detail how to do this. Assume that you have a new kefob and you have no kefob that is already programmed to the system and use the procedure that applies to that situation. The only problem I see is if the system won't let you reprogram because it recognizes the keyfob you have as already correctly being programmed to the car. Also just to mention again, according to the manual this procedure won't work for a Canadian car.

rb92gt
09-23-06, 08:01 AM
In July I purchased a 2006 STS V8 and had the same problem, only came with FOB 2. I told the dealer I would only buy the car if they fixed a few things for me, one of which being getting me Key FOB 1. They did, but guess what, they programmed FOB 1 as FOB 3. Therefore, my settings were never recognized because you can only set FOB 1 and FOB 2 for user settings. Car went back to dealer, had to leave it overnight. They said it takes 3 hours to reprogram FOB 1 as FOB 1. Sounds like a bunch of BS, but that is what my local Cadi dealer told me, and now it works, so I am happy. None of my owners manuals mentioned how to reset FOB 1 ad FOB 1. They only explain how to add 2,3, and 4.

BarryNS
09-23-06, 10:17 AM
This is the procedure to REPROGRAM the fob's. This method is mainly used if you have lost all fob's and have none that are programmed to the car. It erases the original program in the car and initiates a new one. It purposesly takes awhile so that a car thief cannot easily program it rapidly. Supposedly it does not work in Canadian issued cars. Whether this procedure will work if, in fact, the fob you are trying to program is already programmed to the car, is questionable.

The Canadian immobilizer standard requires Canadian
owners to see their GM dealer for matching new
transmitters when a recognized transmitter is not
available. United States Owners are permitted to match
a new transmitter to their vehicle when a recognized
transmitter is not available. the procedure will require
three ten minute cycles to complete the matching
process. Do the following:
1. The vehicle must be off.
2. Place the new, unrecognized transmitter into the
transmitter pocket with the transmitter buttons
facing the front of the vehicle. The transmitter
pocket is inside the console bin located between
the driver and front passenger seat.
3. Insert the vehicle key into the key lock cylinder
located on the driverís door.
4. Turn the key to the unlock position five times within
five seconds.
5. The DIC message will display OFF-ACCESSORY
TO LEARN.
6. Press the OFF/ACC button (ignition switch).
7. The DIC will read WAIT 10 MINUTES and will
count down to zero, one minute at a time.
8. The DIC will display OFF-ACCESSORY TO
LEARN again.
9. Press the OFF/ACC button (ignition switch).
10. The DIC will read WAIT 10 MINUTES and will
11. The DIC will display OFF-ACCESSORY TO
LEARN again.
12. Press the OFF/ACC button (ignition switch).
13. The DIC will read WAIT 10 MINUTES and will
14. A beep will sound and the DIC will read READY
FOR FOB #1. At this time, all previously known
transmitters have been erased.
15. Once the transmitter is recognized and
programmed, a beep will sound and the DIC will
display READY FOR FOB #2.
16. Remove the keyless access transmitter and press
the unlock button twice to initialize it.

smoey847
11-06-06, 07:03 PM
BarryNS,
After FOREVER, I have finally found time to sit down and try this. Problem is, I can't insert a new, unprogrammed FOB because both of mine are already programmed. Now, if I knew of a procedure where I could erase the data for two PROGRAMMED FOBS, I have confidence in the procedure in the manual. Any information would be direly appreciated! Thanks!

02603sec
09-24-08, 06:57 PM
nobody actually solved this guy's problem. He wants to ERASE his already programmed FOB 3 and make it #2. Obviously you have to erase it. THERE ARE NO DIRECTIONS to ERASE an already programmed FOB.

rb92gt
09-24-08, 08:38 PM
Dealer needs to do it.

AllWheelEric
09-24-08, 10:39 PM
BarryNS provided the correct answer above two years and one day ago. If you are having the same problem as the original poster, and your car is not a Canadian car, then that procedure should work. I have used that procedure, so I know it can work. I know some folks have had problems with it, but I did not have any problems changing my second fob from #3 to #2.

02603sec
09-24-08, 11:54 PM
I know the thread is old. I couldn't believe the replies. what is this? a cut and paste society? "read the manual" what a pinhead.. you think you're the only mrn. with a manual? How about the guy in the other thread referring to the CADILLAC WEBSITE? don't waste your time. The manual refers to "gathering the fobs" Instead, it should say keep the FOBS AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE so there is no signal induced after turning the key 5 times in five seconds with NO remote in the glove box. Then, once the system clears without doing ANYTHING else set Fob number 1. Go through the thirty minute process. DO NOT f. with the other FOB (2) and leave out of range. Once FOB 1 is done, replace with FOB 2 it will go to FOB 3 but turn the ignition button off and then test the lock, unlock, start, trunk. Only solutions, not BIG problems. and thieves out there, you still have to make the lock work or cross wires inside the door.
2005 STS v8