: engine will turn over and not start?

97catera18
09-16-06, 08:38 AM
Hi I have a 97 catera that wont start. All the electronics and gauges all work properly and the battery is fine. It turns over and will fire up if you turn the engine over for awile but it runs really rough at idle and stalls. Also, there is a tapping type noise coming from the motor i believe to be around the top. Is the motor blown? maybe something with the timing?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I Have another catera that runs but its wrecked so i can use spare parts from it to fix it. Oh im new to the forum but ive been watching and reading it since i got the catera theres alot of useful info here its a great help.
Thanks yall

irebroff
10-01-06, 05:13 PM
I think it is a sensor

Crankshaft sensor or camshaft, but I would read out the code first

If you don`t have a possibillity to read out codes, change the crankshaft sensor

frustratedinIA
10-15-06, 05:21 PM
Just curious if you got the problme solved. My '97 has been sitting for about 3 weeks now. It has a new fuel pump in it, but that didn't solve the problem. We are now ordering a crank shaft position sensor to see if that will do the job. I guess if not, we'll get the cam shaft sensor next.

The battery died from trying to start the car so now there's no codes to look at. Hopefully, one of the CPS will fix it.

97catera18
10-16-06, 03:23 AM
Hey! well, The check engine light isnt on so I cant even pull engine codes which kinda sucks. Anyway I had it towed to the caddy dealer about a week ago. They called the other day and siad they dont understand whats wrong with it. The mechanic told me that its getting gas and spark and has no timing belt issues. Im thinking that it probly is the crankshaft position sensor. BUt heres the twist..... When the catera actually starts which it does every once in awile there is a tapping type noise coming from the motor and it shakes then stalls. I never heard those symptoms from just a bad crankshaft position sensor so I may be in for some worse news... hopefully not though! Ill keep my fingers crossed lol

Jeremy :cookoo: