: So what would happen...

weister42
09-16-06, 01:36 AM
...if you mix nitrous with gasoline in the tank and run the car??? Is it going to do nothing since nitrous is gas when uncompressed? Or, is it going to blow off the intake manifold?

dkozloski
09-16-06, 02:28 AM
My guess is that you're going to make the evening news in a big way. You're probably also going to collect a Darwin award.

weister42
09-16-06, 02:48 AM
lol ur saying that the car would blow up? I have no clue as to how nitrous works with different engines...but I know it adds a ton of oxygen...fire burns better with more oxygen...so why not oxygen-enriched gasoline?

dkozloski
09-16-06, 03:11 AM
A much more practical answer is alcohol and nitromethane. Dragsters produce thousands of horsepower with this combination.

davesdeville
09-16-06, 05:41 AM
You will blow the welds on your intake manifold. (lol - Thats from the fast and the furious movie.)

Anyway, it will do nothing, because it's a gas at atmospheric pressure. It wouldn't even mix with gasoline in the first place.

Try nitropropane, it's even more practical than nitromethane, and you might not grenade your motor. But then again you might.

turbojimmy
09-16-06, 06:03 AM
Nothing would happen since (as davesdeville points out) N20 is a gas at atmospheric pressure. If you somehow hooked the N20 jet up to the gas tank, you may wind up compressing the gas tank to about 1,000 PSI (not that the venting system would hold anywhere near that much pressure anyway). Why not just inject it into the intake as intended?

I inject denatured alcohol into the intake tract on the GN. The alcohol itself doesn't make more power but it allows the engine to make more power by increasing the octane and cooling the fuel charge so I can run more boost.

Jim

eldorado1
09-16-06, 07:00 AM
Pray you don't run out of gas....

white97deville
09-16-06, 10:05 PM
Nothing would happen since (as davesdeville points out) N20 is a gas at atmospheric pressure. If you somehow hooked the N20 jet up to the gas tank, you may wind up compressing the gas tank to about 1,000 PSI (not that the venting system would hold anywhere near that much pressure anyway). Why not just inject it into the intake as intended?

I inject denatured alcohol into the intake tract on the GN. The alcohol itself doesn't make more power but it allows the engine to make more power by increasing the octane and cooling the fuel charge so I can run more boost.

Jim

Your question has been answered.

chevelle
09-16-06, 11:14 PM
I would also think that nothing would happen. Nitrous injdected into the fuel tank would flash into vapor at atmospheric pressure as would exist inside the fuel tank and the tank vent would release any excess pressure that the nitrous created thus just venting the nitrous to the atmosphere. Some of it might make it thru the tank venting system to the charcoal canister and then to the engine but it would likely be of no consequence.

Nitrous does not contain a "ton more oxygen". It contains just a little more oxygen than the normal atmosphere....which is enough to add enormous HP so you are correct in a way. The atmosphere is about 21 % oxygen I believe... Nitrous oxide is 33% oxygen. So the difference between the 21% and 33% percent oxygen concentration is what makes the extra power if you put extra fuel in with it. Plus the rapid expansion of the N2O into the intake as it flashes into vapor cools the incoming charge which also helps the power. N20 just happens to work well for making HP because it contains it's own diluent....nitrogen....that controls the burn and allows the extra fuel to be burned in a controlled fashion so as to make more HP. If that much pure oxygen were put into the intake it would create an uncontrolled combustion situation that would actually hurt the HP.

Putting oxygen into the fuel is pretty common. That is what it means when you see that the EPA or CARB requires oxygenated fuel for reducing emissions. Adding alcohol to fuel is adding oxygen to the fuel. That is why nitromethane makes so much power it has it's own oxygen to support combustion.

danbuc
09-17-06, 09:30 AM
I say just go all out and inject some pure, medical grade oxyen into the intake and stand back and watch the fireworks. You'd probably need to stand at least 1000ft away though, so bring binoculars.:thumbsup:

CadiJeff
09-17-06, 02:50 PM
what would happen? It might help the efficiency of the fuel pump by increasing the fuel pressure in the tank......till........the slightest spark.........then........BOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!! !!!!!!!!

weister42
09-17-06, 03:14 PM
I have no idea about how nitrous work with different engines, the only thing I know is the mixture of gas and nitrous has to be exact or something really bad can happen. How would the stock computer deal with a wet/dry injection into the intake?

eldorado1
09-17-06, 03:30 PM
Well assuming you don't inject the nitrous into the gas tank... :p

A stock computer will never notice your engine is making more power with a wet system.

A dry system is a little more dangerous, because it relies on the stock injectors and increased fuel pressure to put more fuel into the engine. The problem is the stock northstar injectors slam shut at 60ish psi. That's bad if you don't want to lean the motor out. ;)

weister42
09-17-06, 05:30 PM
So you mean a stock N* can take a 50~100 shot wet nitrous kit without any mods? The guy in the other nitrous thread spent months just to gather info on how to get a N* to work with nitrous:confused:

eldorado1
09-17-06, 05:58 PM
So you mean a stock N* can take a 50~100 shot wet nitrous kit without any mods? The guy in the other nitrous thread spent months just to gather info on how to get a N* to work with nitrous:confused:

That's correct.

I would use spark plugs 2 ranges colder than stock. Otherwise, it will take 100hp just fine.

I don't know why it would take months to find info on it... you just route the hoses, mount the solenoids, and install the fogger.

PERSONALLY, I would use a direct port system. This doesn't fill the intake with gas and nitrous, and there is a much smaller chance of fuel pooling, and firey backfires.

You'll end up paying a lot more for the kit though,

JimLucky
09-17-06, 06:32 PM
A much more practical answer is alcohol and nitromethane. Dragsters produce thousands of horsepower with this combination.

I had a 400 yamaha street and dirt bike (enduro) and would mix some nitromethane in my gas and that thing would pull a house down.I would go to the hoby shop and buy some model airplane racing fuel 1/2 a cup to 2 gal of gas.

The problem was when I added to much to the gas and start it the RPMs would take off like it was WOT.Time to remix:eek:

Im sure you can do the same to a car but if you get the mix wrong you would blow it up.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-17-06, 07:40 PM
Somebody go buy an old Continental with the 3.8 V6 and try it!!