: Is this realistic ?

codewize
09-14-06, 10:38 PM
So I was thinking. If we're all looking for cold air to the induction system, how feasible would it be to duct air from the nice cozy air conditioned cabin to the air box, thus providing the coolest driest air possible, all the time.

I'm sure we're going to create some noise in the cabin by doing this but the type of person that's willing to try, probably won't mind.

Ranger
09-14-06, 11:01 PM
During the winter it will be warm air.

codewize
09-14-06, 11:10 PM
Ahh see you would have to put a diverter door in to overcome that problem.

Mark Bunds
09-15-06, 06:35 PM
You'll never keep it very cold in the cabin. These engines easily pull more than 750 cfm, which would instantly remove all of the cool air out of the cabin, and then draw a considerable vacuum, since I don't think the cabin vents will admit that much air from outside the vehicle.

Nice thought though!

ewill3rd
09-15-06, 07:15 PM
I'd agree, it will just work your A/C sytem harder and suck the air out of the passenger compartment in seconds on acceleration.
A simple intercooler setup is probably easier and even though it's not as good as really cooling the air it's probably safer and more cost effective.

Ranger
09-15-06, 07:38 PM
You'll never keep it very cold in the cabin. These engines easily pull more than 750 cfm, which would instantly remove all of the cool air out of the cabin, and then draw a considerable vacuum, since I don't think the cabin vents will admit that much air from outside the vehicle.

Nice thought though!
Good thought. Never dawned on me. I can see it now, WOT and your either gasping for air, passing out or the engine is stalling for lack of air after a vacuum is created in the cabin. :histeric:

dkozloski
09-15-06, 07:49 PM
The first clue would be when your ears pop.

Mark Bunds
09-15-06, 07:53 PM
The second clue would be tunnel vision from oxygen deprivation...

Elmer Fudd
09-15-06, 10:35 PM
Nah, that is third. Second is when the unopened Pepsi can explodes and you nose starts to bleed......

codewize
09-15-06, 11:47 PM
Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. Damn good idea though. LOL

Hey GM engineers.. we need higher volume AC please.

dkozloski
09-16-06, 12:00 AM
Your snack chip sack will explode too.

danbuc
09-16-06, 12:33 AM
Technically speaking, the theory is sound. Back at school, we had a '94 Z28 Camaro that we were messing around with. Trying different stuff with various sections of PVC and rubber exhaust hose (used to evacuate exhaust into fans). We ran the tubing from the throttle body into the passenger compartment and taped the end to the dash just in front of the far left vent. We then blocked off the rest and threw it on the dyno. If I recall correctly, it gained about 3-4 hp and maybe 2 lb/ft of torque. Nothing much really, but it did show that it could be done, albeit it a complete and utter waste of time, money, and energy. This was done using an in-ground DynoJet btw.

Mark Bunds
09-17-06, 11:24 PM
Technically speaking, the theory is sound. Back at school, we had a '94 Z28 Camaro that we were messing around with. Trying different stuff with various sections of PVC and rubber exhaust hose (used to evacuate exhaust into fans). We ran the tubing from the throttle body into the passenger compartment and taped the end to the dash just in front of the far left vent.

If you turbocharge your car with dryer hose and duct tape by connecting it to your A/C, You just might be a .......

Ranger
09-18-06, 12:25 AM
:histeric:

codewize
09-18-06, 07:41 AM
You can say what you want but at least I have the capacity to engineer something like that. All mighty computer god... :tease: :jerkit: :rofl:

If you turbocharge your car with dryer hose and duct tape by connecting it to your A/C, You just might be a .......

danbuc
09-18-06, 10:19 PM

Screw that...use a leaf blower.

codewize
09-19-06, 12:02 AM
LOL hey that shit works.

Screw that...use a leaf blower.

Mark Bunds
09-19-06, 01:21 PM
Seriously though, Since it gets so hot out here (Las Vegas), I can really tell the difference in HP between a day when it is 115 degrees vs. a day when it is 75 degrees. I've been pondering the idea of installing an intercooler somewhere in the intake line, and then cooling it with a spray of liquid CO2:

http://s1.promotionsupplies.com/ebay/just-intercoolers/images/intercooler/au-ic0045-30-1.jpg

I'll need to find one that will admit enough flow, or install two, since most of these things are made for imports and are only ported to 3" (<600 CFM). This might be fine if I were blowing through the cooler with a turbo, but the restriction is probably much greater if I am simply drawing air through it, which is not what it was made for.

Mountie
09-23-06, 12:09 AM
You dummies....... if you are pulling air out of the cabin, just stick the tailpipe in there to compensate for the air lost.

( Hey, now that's low emissions!! )
And a low forehead.......:confused:

codewize
09-23-06, 05:36 PM
ROFL :rofl:

Ranger
09-23-06, 05:43 PM
You dummies....... if you are pulling air out of the cabin, just stick the tailpipe in there to compensate for the air lost.

( Hey, now that's low emissions!! )
And a low forehead.......:confused:
:duh: Now why didn't I think of that.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-23-06, 06:08 PM
Nah, that is third. Second is when the unopened Pepsi can explodes and you nose starts to bleed......

LOL! That's the funniest thing I've read on here in a while!

codewize
09-23-06, 08:09 PM
SO can I get some REP for asking the question that caused all of this humor

Mountie
09-23-06, 08:15 PM
SO can I get some REP for asking the question that caused all of this humor

I have been around all different forms of car / boat racing for 30 years. I just started on an NHRA Alcohol Funny Car team.

One thing I learned..... There is no such thing as a stupid question.

( exception )......... Asking a woman, "What are you thinking?"

:thepan:

Krashed989
09-25-06, 08:31 PM
I think it's a pretty neat idea..... Maybe have a little mini-evaporator core in the intake to cool it down.... or some sort of liquid nitrogen cooling system for the intake! By the time I'm done with this the fuel will spontaniously freeze when it enters the cylenders! LOL

codewize
09-26-06, 12:24 AM
There I gave now you give.

dkozloski
09-26-06, 01:00 AM
Back in the 1960's everyone wanted to know why the 4cyl. Chevy II engine had such a bulletproof lower end. Popular Mechanics let the cat out of the bag with an article about the slickest induction system ever invented. The carburetor had an intake that looked like the horn on an RCA Victrola windup record player. The engine had a belt driven high pressure air compressor that pumped up a tank to over 1000PSI. The tank was connected to a nozzle by a hose and solenoid valve actuated by full throttle that blew into the middle of the intake horn like an eductor. The result was a supercharger that produced boost pressures of over 45PSI for about a minute with no moving parts. After the tank was exhausted it would automatically recharge and be ready for the next blast. As the high pressure air was blasted down the intake it also cooled from the expansion so no intercooler was required. In fact the nozzle had frost on it. GM decided to pass on this plan but it's still an exceptional idea. The guess at the time was that this engine would have produced hundreds of horsepower hence the husky lower end.

eldorado1
09-26-06, 08:32 AM
That's not a bad idea. Now you just need someone in Wisconsin to rig their AC compressor into an air compressor and install a tank.

I'd imagine the air blast would pull in additional air because of the horn.

dkozloski
09-26-06, 11:53 AM
That's not a bad idea. Now you just need someone in Wisconsin to rig their AC compressor into an air compressor and install a tank.

I'd imagine the air blast would pull in additional air because of the horn.

This thing has always intrigued me. I might have to try it before I die.

Mountie
09-28-06, 12:37 AM
This thing has always intrigued me. I might have to try it before I die.

Then, may I suggest you don't try it for a while longer?:rolleyes:

dkozloski
09-28-06, 02:20 AM
Then, may I suggest you don't try it for a while longer?:rolleyes:

I'll buy some green bananas for backup.