: fuel injector fell out!?!?

CadiJeff
09-14-06, 09:33 PM
Why would a fuel injector fall out of the fuel rail on a 94 ETC? this is the apparant problem I have with the intermittent miss that has been plagueing me for the last month! I opened up the manifold to check the FPR and found that the #8 injector had been dislodged from the rail, naturally I put it back, after reassembling the manifold the car ran smooth for a while but it started missing again like the injector fell out again. What would cause this? Would it be the injector or the rail?

eldorado1
09-14-06, 09:39 PM
Could be either. I'm not really familiar with the 94, but do they use clips, or are the injectors sandwiched between the rail and manifold?

CadiJeff
09-15-06, 12:45 AM
not sure but it looks like it just snaps into the rail

ewill3rd
09-15-06, 05:43 AM
The injector pushes into the rail and it should have a metal retainer clip on the top that goes around the tip of the rail opening and lodges into a machined groove in the end of the injector housing.
If the retainer is bent or missing it may not be holding the injector in place properly allowing the fuel pressure to actually push it out of the hole. Also if the lip is damaged on the rail it might not hold the clip in place.

They make an o-ring kit that has all the o-rings and new retainers in it.
Is the retainer there?

CadiJeff
09-15-06, 12:16 PM
the only metal clip i see is further down on the injector, by the wireing harness. I picked up a salvage fuelrail todaythat has all of the injectors attached, I think I'll try that.

chevelle
09-15-06, 01:39 PM
I think that the cover has a projection that holds down on the injector pod also, doesn't it? That way when the cover is in place it holds the fuel rail down onto the injector so that it cannot separate. Is yours like that.??

ewill3rd
09-15-06, 07:39 PM
Maybe I am thinking of a newer one. Are you talking about the original style northstar with the metal cover or the newer style with the plastic cover?
I am much less familiar with the older version.
I was working for Chevy back then.

CadiJeff
09-15-06, 09:29 PM
older style intake
unfortunayely I found out the hard way a fuel rail from a 93 won't fit a 94, the wireing harnesses are different, aaaaagghhhhh! dammit dammit dammit!
After further review I think the whole origional rail may be comming apart, since I rechecked the manifold and putit back together it runs worse than ever, I am pretty certian that the FI's are unseating them selves some how. dammit wheres the old guru when he's needed!?!?
I am getting pretty desperate on this one.

guru, if you still read the forums please email me if you still have my addr.....I need help

eldorado1
09-15-06, 09:50 PM
Okay, looking at the diagram, it appears as though the fuel rail is held down by the intake cover. This in turn keeps the fuel injectors seated in the rail. You need to figure out what is holding the intake cover up. Might be a bad gasket, or a loose bolt or a wire getting pinched between the cover and lower manifold...

also make sure the injector o-rings are seating correctly

CadiJeff
09-15-06, 10:05 PM
they are as seated as they are going to be with me pushing on them. I suppose it could be the upper o rings on the injectors, if they are origional to the car 208000mi could do it for them. the big frustration is that they are fine when I put the cover back on (no leaks ect) but when I start the car it runs smooth for ten min or so, then it starts missing again. then you remove the cover and one of the friggin injectors is spraying fuel all over the intake from the seat in the rail, but it isn't the same injector each time! I reitterate AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH! dammit dammit dammit!

eldorado1
09-15-06, 10:09 PM
Are you torquing the intake bolts to the proper specs with a torque wrench?

The intake cover "floats", and the rubber gromets compress some, so I would imagine it's important to keep the torque even on all of them.

CadiJeff
09-16-06, 11:40 AM
torqued to spec on all 12

CadiJeff
09-18-06, 07:38 PM
finally got an SES light, pulled a p036 current from the ecm, looks like its time for a new egr too.