: Where to find a Northstar engine

nicolemcqueary
02-18-04, 11:55 AM
I purchased a 1994 Cadillac Deville. I saved my money for a year and bought this car.Well, I took the car to the dealer and they said that I need a new engine. I am a single female and I didn't know what to look for in a car and it ran fine when I test drove it. Does anyone know where and how I can purchase a GOOD, used northstar engine? Any information..I would be extremely grateful. Thank you and enjoy your rides, really, just remeber how blessed you are because I work and go to school 6 days a week, I have 3 kids and I can't believe that I have finally been able to buy a car and this has happened to me. Seriously, it has stressed me out. So, like I said, any information, I will be grateful for. I really need this car. Thanks. Nicole.

capn
02-25-04, 08:59 PM
a good place to look is cadillac king they have nice low mileage northstars for about 2,500

JimD
02-25-04, 09:08 PM
What is the dealer's rationale for a 'new' engine? Specifically, what is your engine doing or failing to do?

zonie77
02-25-04, 10:21 PM
Please tell us why the dealer says you need a new engine.

What is it doing or not doing??

scporter
02-26-04, 12:41 PM
Hi:

Sorry to hear the bad news about the new engine required.

Here is snformation for you and the forum users.

My friend just had a new Northstar installed in her '97 STS. The problem was excessive oil use (about a quart every 300 miles). Otherwise the car ran great. The dealer said that some engine cylinders were out of round (this car had heavier than normal use since the begining) and hence new rings, pistons etc. would not fix the problem. The dealer charged $8,000 and after haggling decided to pick up one-half of the bill because the car was serviced as GM reccomends with records to prove.

Something that is also interesting is that this car had a GM extended warranty (which cost ~$1500) but was she told that their are two levels of extended warranty and hers didn't cover the engine repalcement. I thought I would share this information as it might be useful to others.

If I where you and the car runs fine and you have the same problem I would just keep checking the oil at each fillup and drive it till it dies.

Scott :coolgleam

olaf_sc
02-26-04, 03:28 PM
Hello,

I'm really sorry for your problem - I know how it is to be under tight budget and having the car failing. Luckely I'm a mechanic so I can usually solve the problem a lot cheaper than people without mechanical skills.

Anyhow, I would say no to changing the engine. The Deville (I guess it's a Concours - since you are posting in the NorthStar forum) isn't worth more then around $4k to $6k depending on condition and the trade in value is even less. Buying a new engine for $2.5k plus probably $1.5k to install it simply don't add up. It will be less hassle for you to buy one of Ebay and sell the one you have to the junk yard for $1k. Not fun but realisticly the best option. If the engine is still running and the fault is minor such as excessive oil consumption then run it to it dies and then do the above.

However if you can pick up a engine for under $1000 at Ebay and find a friend or similar that can mount it for a small sum say $500 then it's probably worth the trouble to replace the engine if the rest of the car is in good shape.

Where are you located maybe some one in the forum that is a mechanic lives close by and can help you. I live in San Francisco and if you want to contact me you can email me at olaf_sc@yahoo.com.

Cheers Olaf

BeelzeBob
02-26-04, 05:51 PM
I purchased a 1994 Cadillac Deville. I saved my money for a year and bought this car.Well, I took the car to the dealer and they said that I need a new engine. I am a single female and I didn't know what to look for in a car and it ran fine when I test drove it. Does anyone know where and how I can purchase a GOOD, used northstar engine? Any information..I would be extremely grateful. Thank you and enjoy your rides, really, just remeber how blessed you are because I work and go to school 6 days a week, I have 3 kids and I can't believe that I have finally been able to buy a car and this has happened to me. Seriously, it has stressed me out. So, like I said, any information, I will be grateful for. I really need this car. Thanks. Nicole.

What makes you think that a new engine is required??

What is the problem or complaint??

Rarely is a "new engine" required. Even if there is an oil consumption issue or other problem you can just drive the car and not worry about it. It is a 10 year old used car with an unknown history....how many miles on it, anyway. Possibly the best idea is to just drive it and don't worry. Depending on what the perceived problem is it could run forever like that.