: Water Pump pulley

Tricky
09-13-06, 01:35 PM
Could anyone tell me how on earth the plastic water pump pulley actually comes off on my 99STS N*.
I ve already bust 2 pullers on it!:confused:
Im ready to cut it off and then buy a new one.
Thanks

chevelle
09-13-06, 01:39 PM
Could anyone tell me how on earth the plastic water pump pulley actually comes off on my 99STS N*.
I ve already bust 2 pullers on it!:confused:
Im ready to cut it off and then buy a new one.
Thanks

Are you using a power steering pump pulley puller? It is the exact same hub as a power steering pump pulley and designed to be pulled off with the same puller. You can find a power steering pump pulley puller at most any autoparts or tool rental store. It is a small puller that grabs the ring machined into the small diameter of the hub. Use a piece of threaded rod or long bolt and a stack of washers to pull the pulley back on.

If you have been pulling on the outer diameter of the plastic part of the pulley with a standard three jawed type puller then you should really consider getting a new pulley as the one you have been pulling on is damaged.

denscor
09-13-06, 03:37 PM
I bought an A/C water pump from rock auto and it came with a pulley on it.You might want to look into it.

Ranger
09-13-06, 06:45 PM
I am guessing that he is talking about the drive pully that atatches to the cam.

Tricky
09-14-06, 09:33 AM
Yes Thanks everyone, It is the drive pulley at the end of the cam.
Thanks Chevelle, I thought that I might end up with one of them.
Ill have to go to Snap-on I think as they sell that power steering puller.
Im over the water so the N* is not a ''normal'' engine.
There is a GM part number that they might be able to relate to.
Mind you with the cost of snap on tools I might be better smashing it and buying another pulley anyway.
Thanks.