: Some initial worries for 94 eldo tc

clublime
02-18-04, 07:50 PM
Just purchased 94 eldo tc. Here is one of my concerns

Check coolant level readout-
The sticker on the cap (on the pressure tank) looks like it should be filled to just below the cap.
So I filled it up to nearly the cap and the readout came back on 2 days later to check coolant.
Filled it up again will see results soon.
It could be just pressurizing and blowing out if the level should be 2 inches below.
Whacha think about that?
I am going to do the drain and bars leak thing asap.

Also how accurate is the % oil life readout?
Thanks threaders

Aurora By Olds
02-19-04, 01:18 AM
If its not visibly leaking out anywhere else, you might want to pressure check/combustion leak test. A '94 would have green coolant, which, if not properly maintained could have eaten up the head gaskets by now.

The oil life monitor uses engine speed and temperature to accurately monitor the oil life. Follow it. It's accuate. If you do a lot of city driving, you may find that it tells you to change your oil sooner than the average 3k, and if you do a lot of highway driving, you'll find it saves you a bit of money on unnecessary oil changes.

BeelzeBob
02-19-04, 03:32 PM
Just purchased 94 eldo tc. Here is one of my concerns

Check coolant level readout-
The sticker on the cap (on the pressure tank) looks like it should be filled to just below the cap.
So I filled it up to nearly the cap and the readout came back on 2 days later to check coolant.
Filled it up again will see results soon.
It could be just pressurizing and blowing out if the level should be 2 inches below.
Whacha think about that?
I am going to do the drain and bars leak thing asap.

Also how accurate is the % oil life readout?
Thanks threaders

The greeen silicated coolant in your system needs draining and recharging with fresh coolant every 24-35K miles/2-3 years to keep the corrosion inhibitors from becoming depleted. I would recommend a drain and refill with fresh 50/50 coolant /distilled water. While the system is drained, install the coolant supplement pellets/BarsLeaks "golden seal" in the RADIATOR HOSE not the pressurized surge tank. It will not get dispersed if installed into the surge tank and it will not work.

Fill the system slowly until the surge tank is full, start the engine, idle briefly and then slowly rev to 3000 or so several times to clear any air out of the system. Refill the surge tank to within about 1.5/2 inches of the cap fitting when cold. Anymore than that an it will get pushed out the overflow tube and lost.

Drive it several times and let it cool completely and recheck the level cold and refill to 1.5/2 inches of the cap if required.

The oil life monitor takes many factors into account. All the things that affect the oil life and change frequency are monitored/modeled and factored into the change interval that will be tailered to your specific driving schedule. You can trust it to be accurate.

clublime
02-19-04, 04:14 PM
----------install the coolant supplement pellets/BarsLeaks "golden seal" ------------

They dont have pellets or the clear tubes at my local autozone, they have bar's liquid aluminum in a clear bottle radiator stop leak in a grey bottle. Are either of these what I need?

Aurora5000
02-20-04, 09:51 AM
PEP Boys....$1.99 you will need 2.

JimD
02-20-04, 10:29 AM
Wal-Mart usually carries Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder in a 0.75 oz. tube. Look for "G12BP" on the bubble wrap card. Use two of them (buy 5 or 6).

BeelzeBob
02-20-04, 01:22 PM
----------install the coolant supplement pellets/BarsLeaks "golden seal" ------------

They dont have pellets or the clear tubes at my local autozone, they have bar's liquid aluminum in a clear bottle radiator stop leak in a grey bottle. Are either of these what I need?

DO NOT USE THE BARSLEAKS LIQUID ALUMINUM.

That is not what was specified. Use the GM coolant supplement pellets available at any and every GM dealer OR use the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder in the clear tube. If all they have is the "liquid aluminum" product shop elsewhere.