: Anyone else hear these noises in the cabin?

ijsegurola
09-12-06, 09:50 AM
I have a 2006 STS V6 that I bought about 5 months ago and it's developed 2 noises in the cabin which are driving me crazy:

1) There's a metalic springing noise coming from the dash or instrument cluster whenever I cold start that goes away after about 20 minutes of driving but then comes back if I'm driving over uneven surfaces...

2) for lack of a better description, there's a "farting" noise every few minutes coming from the front passenger seat that sounds like it's the seat moving and the leather rubbing against something but the seat doesn't actually move when it makes the sound (people have been sitting on the seat when it happens)....

I know I'm not going crazy because other people have been in the car with me and they get a good chuckle out of it but the dealer has given me the standard "could not reproduce customer complaint"

Any help to maintain my sanity is appreciated :thepan:

BarryNS
09-12-06, 10:39 AM
There are many threads about the seat noise in this forum. Do a search of previous postings.

AllWheelEric
09-12-06, 02:13 PM
Check to see if the fart is actually from the Air Conditioning and not the seat. Turn Recirculation on and off and see if that reproduces the problem.

I also have a noise in the driver's seat that I can't locate and can't duplicate on will. I suspect it's plastic rubbing against plastic (not leather) but I can't prove it.

ijsegurola
12-09-06, 08:39 PM
UPDATE: Dealer finally fixed the problem after 4-5 visits and a complaint made directly to Cadillac customer service...

1. farting noise was actually a flap or actuator in an A/C vent in the dash...GM put out a bulletin on the problem...apparently I wasn't the only one....

2. metallic springing noise was a loose metal part in the steering column...

Happy to report both problems are resolved and I can now enjoy the car like it was meant to be enjoyed....

Aurora5000
12-11-06, 01:52 PM
I do hear fart noises...

soupero
12-11-06, 03:22 PM
I have a 2006 STS V6 that I bought about 5 months ago and it's developed 2 noises in the cabin which are driving me crazy:

2) for lack of a better description, there's a "farting" noise every few minutes coming from the front passenger seat that sounds like it's the seat moving and the leather rubbing against something but the seat doesn't actually move when it makes the sound (people have been sitting on the seat when it happens)....

**** this shit!! :thepan:

We got the same problem with our '05 STS V6!

We went to our dealer and they said it has something to do with the airco, they are waiting for the parts (coming from the US) to replace it.

I'll keep you updated about this, when the repair is done. The repair will be done in about 2-4 weeks.

edit: oops this is an old thread, good to know!

zzzasy
12-14-06, 04:47 PM
I took mine to the dealer about the farting noise and they were well aware of the problem. The guy said the ducting or something like that in the air handling system needed lubing. They lubed it up and it stopped. Now, about three weeks later, itsss bacccckkkkk.

zzzasy
'05 STS

Jesda
12-18-06, 03:19 PM
Climate control blend door issue causes the farting noise. Do a search for "farting" in the STS section for more information.

Of course, not all farting is caused by the car. :D

IndyJeff
12-22-06, 04:12 PM

1) There's a metalic springing noise coming from the dash or instrument cluster whenever I cold start that goes away after about 20 minutes of driving but then comes back if I'm driving over uneven surfaces...

Yes, same here, and I think I have a fix. If you open the hood, there's a piece of metal that is bolted to something to do with the brakes at the top, and has just a spring clip at the bottom where it's screwed into the firewall between the engine and the cabin. THis is very loose, and if you pull on it you'll hear that clicking noise.

Have your dealer replace the spring clip with a good double nut and the noise will go away. It had been driving me insane and of course it was never reproducible when I brought it in. It's been four days since I had this fixed and I've not heard the rattle.

If that's not clear, I can take a picture if it's useful.

Jeff

ijsegurola
12-25-06, 10:33 AM
I'd like to thank everyone for their posts and suggestions....

Thankfully the noises have gone away since the last dealer visit about a month and a half ago....hopefully they'll stay away ;-)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone...

:xsmile: