: STS And Rain? How Does it Handle?

bucsfan
09-12-06, 08:11 AM
Good Morning.

Living in the Tampa area heavy thunderstorms and flooded streets are our major driving hazards. I was wondering what is everyone's experience driving in the rain w/ the standard tires; that comes with the car.

I am thinking about taking advantage of the national lease special; but want to make sure it handles well in the rain. After reading the posts about the problem with the car in the snow; I'm starting to worry that the RWD may have the same problems with rain.

The dealership assured me that the traction control and stability control will handle the rain fine.

Just want to hear some real world experiences.

Thanks.

bucsfan

jgrade
09-12-06, 09:21 AM
I live outside of Chichago and have to say this is the most worthless car on rain or snow I have ever owned. The OEM rubber is completely useless for anything bigger than a puddle.:mad: You would think Caddy would have put better tires on a rear wheel car. I don't know about the AWD, but it may be the better option. If you get the RWD, budget in new tires. Ask one of the service center guys about the tires and you will probably get a straight answer. The ones I have talked to just look at athe ground and agree. They know how much it sucks!

At least thats my opinion...

malcolm
09-12-06, 10:17 AM
I agree this car is AWFUL :rant2: in wet weather, forget about snow unless you put snows on all four corners or go with AWD. Having said that it's great fun on dry pavement.:highfive:

allen65
09-12-06, 06:38 PM
I live in Chicago and have the 4 wheel drive V8 STS4. I have also replaced the tires with Pilot Sport AS. The car handles in the wet like it is on rails. It is simply amazing.

jmf9033
09-13-06, 03:41 PM
I would have to agree with some of the above posters. Right out of the box the OEM rubber is not very good.

I have the performance package that puts the summer only sport tires, Michelins, and the rear end will come unglued even on dry pavement in corners.

I have since gone to Goodyear Eagle NCT5 and it is totally glued to the pavement now. I truly feel now as if it is on rails when cornering.

caddycruiser
09-15-06, 02:49 PM
There's the answer--sucks with the stock tires, but change them out, and it's incredible.

That's the story for a lot of cars, and it makes you wonder how the reviews of some vehicles would change if they simply had different rubber.