: Postcards from California GPS stolen!

donjumpsuit
09-12-06, 03:02 AM
Would ya'll be a gem, and let me know if you see a nav system for a 2005 SRX posted on ebay? Thanx so much, they pretty much can only be used in ..... an SRX!

:-)

Domestic Terrorism I say, and on 9-11 to boot.

john d
09-12-06, 07:19 PM
What will that cost to restore?
I hope you're insured with a small deductable.
Is the SRX now a target car for the auto thief industry?
Could cause the value to rise or insurance rates to increase.

jjsocrazy
09-12-06, 08:15 PM
Sorry about what happened, found this though:

eBay Motors: 04 05 06 Cadillac SRX OEM gps navigation unit BESTOFFER (item 160029274539 end time Sep-14-06 23:15:40 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05-06-Cadillac-SRX-OEM-gps-navigation-unit-BESTOFFER_W0QQitemZ160029274539QQihZ006QQcategoryZ 38653QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

donjumpsuit
09-12-06, 09:15 PM
thanx for the ebay heads up. I am trying to figure out if that is in Pennsylvania or not. I definatly can't figure out why someone would take out the head unit, even for an aftermarket due to the amount of information from the car (ie. gas, mileage, battery, tire pressure). That is definately jacked from someone.

I am emailing a previous buyer from this guy to determine where his package came from.

I will keep you posted on the estimate for replacement, taking into account that that brackets were just CUT, and if those connectors cannot be replaced, then the antennas/units they were attatched to, might also need replacement.

thanx for your support my deductible is $1000 but I figure it will cost close to $2500 to replace.

john d
09-13-06, 12:44 AM
Would the police and insurance company go for a "sting" purchase?
Anyway of matching the ebay unit to your own?

c5 rv
09-13-06, 11:28 AM
How much other damage was done to the car in the break-in?

donjumpsuit
09-13-06, 04:56 PM
no other damage than what you see in the picture. They left some tool marks around the bezel but thats it. Officially, listed on the police report, i don't know how they got in, non-officially, it was in my driveway in a normally safe area, quite possibly unlocked by accident. I don't think I deserve this because it may have been unlocked!, maybe my sirius, and my sunglasses stolen but this?

Oh, initial estimate

(drum roll)

$15,000

john d
09-13-06, 06:04 PM
Oh, initial estimate
(drum roll)
$15,000
Based on the resale values I'm sorry to say that could be a "total".

c5 rv
09-13-06, 06:09 PM
$15K for a glorified radio and some plastic bezels? That's crazy.

john d
09-13-06, 07:13 PM
$15K for a glorified radio and some plastic bezels? That's crazy.
In hindsight so was buying my $60k+ new SRX !

donjumpsuit
09-13-06, 08:48 PM
LOL@john d

Yes, the radio itself, .... apparently $4000.
I was told the dash might have to come off to replace the wiring harness that was cut. So it is approaching that amount of money. And I am sure that dash cowel has to be replaced as well.

I will post when I know a little bit more.

I WISH it was totaled, but I think it would need another 20-25k to be considered totaled. But as we were shown last month with pictures of that guys front end collision, it doens't take much to total these trucks.

c5 rv
09-13-06, 09:55 PM
...the radio itself, .... apparently $4000.

So, if you can source a radio for, say, $450, can you get a special discount on your insurance?

Smokin' SRX
09-14-06, 03:22 PM
Talk to EBAY Security and just inform them of your suspiscion! They should be willing to help! But without a serial # or something, it could be sent to a friend in another state to sell!!! Let's try to at least stop him from profiting!!
So sorry!

ryaus1
09-14-06, 08:02 PM
You can choose whatever location you wish for the eBay seller's location, it's not tied to your account or any other information. So one could intentionally just list a different seller's location.

I agree with Smokin' SRX to contact the eBay fraud department to clear any suspicions.

donjumpsuit
09-14-06, 09:20 PM
Well,
Nothing Is going to solve anything right now if i get my head unit back. It is still slightly damaged, and the most damage to the car now stands at the fact that their is tool marks on the bezel, and the biggest, which is the wires are cut.
The thief could have sold it to any number of pawn shops or auto resellers in the region, or could be sitting on it till it cools. I talked to the previous buyer of this persons auction and he confirmed that his package came postmarked from PA.
I mean, i have no identifing codes off of the unit. It may have my settings still in it, but maybe not. Who knows to go through all that trouble, especially when all signs point to the fact that it is all the way across the country.

ryaus1
09-14-06, 10:15 PM
I wonder if GM could supply the serial number of the radio unit that was put in by the factory based on your VIN ...