: No Spark On Hot Restart

C170B
09-12-06, 12:04 AM
For months i thought the restart problem was an iginition wire in column. NOT.

Then for a few months I thought is was fuel. It was not.

I am happy to have a new electric fuel pump but still have the same restart problem.

Cold engine starts easy, runs strong. 15 min into a drive I notice that turn signals will not operate (What is this?) Shut engine off and it will not restart from 1Hr to 3 Hr. cool down. Fuel pressure is 35 - 41 always.

Test for spark on test plug in wire and NO SPARK NO SPARK.

I have not a clue even after quite a bit of time researching the thread post.

I think a grounding problem but cannot fathom how reaching operating temperature fits into the picture. Batt cranks strongly.

Please put your thinking caps on POST UP.

Ranger
09-12-06, 10:14 AM
Add the year and model to your profile so we know what we are talking about.

C170B
09-12-06, 01:42 PM
We are driving a Cadillac Conours 1994 4.6L N* VIN 1G6K52YXRU225770
High Mileage.

This has the OBD 1 and I may Try to learn how to read those w a SNAPSHOT.

I apparently could use some direction in editing my forum profile. How do I get to an edit page. Something called ZOINTS

Thank you for looking and posting

Regards

Camuchi
09-12-06, 02:25 PM
I would look at your coil[s] and thier connections. Sometimes a marginal connector will fail when hot, and coils will definately die with heat. Are all the spark plugs dead when you have the no-start condition. Does the car run smoothly when hot or do you have missing or rough idle when hot? I think your car is coil on plug or one coil for two plugs?? Forgive me I am learning the Northstars, but have lots of experience with others. If all the plugs are dead then you might look further upstream (electrically speaking) for 12v to the coils and a good ground,during cranking. You can install a jumper to gorund for testing purposes, Plug wires, plugs all known good?

OBD 1 cars can have codes read by shorting across diagnostic connector underdash. Search here or on the web for specifics for your car.

Turn signal problem?? Are you sure your ignition switch and steering column wiring is all in good shape? Any other systems doa when hot?
-Matt

chevelle
09-12-06, 03:31 PM
Didn't you already post about this earlier...??

Did you look at the electronic ignition module under the coil pack?

If you have no spark the answer can be pretty simple. The ignition system just needs one (of the two) crank sensors to work and 12 volts to start. The ignition cranks in backup spark mode with no input from the PCM so if there is 12 volts at the coil pack during crank and one of the crank sensors is good (both won't fail at once) then it will run. If not, then the only item is the electronic module under the coils. IF a coil dies then just those two cylinders will die, not the whole engine/ignition system.

Ranger
09-12-06, 05:01 PM
We are driving a Cadillac Conours 1994 4.6L N* VIN 1G6K52YXRU225770
High Mileage.

This has the OBD 1 and I may Try to learn how to read those w a SNAPSHOT.

I apparently could use some direction in editing my forum profile. How do I get to an edit page. Something called ZOINTS

Thank you for looking and posting

Regards
Go to the top of this page and click on USER CP, then click on EDIT PROFILE on the left side. Scroll down to the bottom and add what you own.

C170B
09-13-06, 05:55 PM
Thank you for the post .

Numerous deep logic, well thought out steps to reach a correct diagnosis.
This is the real world stuff. Why can't someone write a book. Authorized shop manuals have too many words in sometimes illogical sequence.

I am writng this down and hope to find solution.

Tonight I am thinking crank position sensors.

regards

C170B
10-01-06, 07:56 PM
Finally found the solution

Chevelle your post about IGN Module lead me to the culprit.

The fix is so simple and the cost is Nothing. No large sums spent throwing dollars at Dealer or part house.

The fix was to remove IGN MODULE, Clean slight corrosion from the mounting bolts that hold the metal brackett for the MODULE. 170 K on 13 yr old auto so many heat/cool cycles.

Get your bolts cleaned, APPLY DIELECTRIC GREASE to back side of IGN MOUDULE. I wonder how many N* even have the DI ELEC grease remaining?

Through this long ordeal my car ran smooth and powerful, never misfired, never stalled . NOw I am thinking my car has more powerful acceleration but this could be my enthusiasm for a fix.

I would encourage N* operators to try this simple NO COST procedure
If your car runs better, POST it.