: Questions about towing ?

Package
09-11-06, 04:15 PM
We have an 04 AWD V8 and I want to purchase something like and ultralight camper that weighs in around 3,000 pounds to 3,200 pounds. We do not have the factory towing package on the car. What is included in the towing package ? Hitch, wiring, trans cooler ?

Can I buy this from a dealer and have it installed ?

I know the max towing weight is 3,500 pounds but, how does the SRX handle with this weight ? Any suggestions/help would be appreciated, Thanks....

sgilbert
09-11-06, 07:38 PM
Other than the hitch & wiring harness, which are easy to install, the only other part of the factory tow package is/was the HD cooling. I'm not sure that is monitarily feasable to add. The tow capacity, BTW, was changed for the '04 from 3500 to 4250 WITH the tow package.

In my opinion, you'll be fine unless you'll be towing in mountainous areas or 100+ degree heat. No guarantees!!

TSS
09-12-06, 08:09 AM
My 06 trailering package consists of:
HD cooling
HD transmission cooler
and wiring (I think) .

It did not include the hitch.

I never would have ordered the thing (trailering package), but it came automatically bundled together with another package.

robhersch
09-13-06, 10:25 PM
My 2005 SRX N*V8 has the trailering pkg (V92-special order on 1SB, incl in Lux Util Pkg - std on 1SC; V92 was made available option in 9/27/04 @ 3500#) but not the hitch. I have experienced no above-normal indication even at 117 deg in very slow Las Vegas traffic. I have regularly ordered a tow pkg specifically for the HD cooling, and found the HD cooling a buy for ~$200. I'm not sure of which additional parts V92 includes; but I have 2 electric fans on the radiator plus a belt driven fan plus an additional trans cooler.
Manual (ref pp 4-52 +) says standard tow of 2000# (incl passinger wt); Cad later advertised an increased SRX trailering from 3500# to 4200#.
Suggest that you consider an additional cooling radiator (OEM or aftermarket) for the trans (even though book says the DIC has a TRANS HOT warning) since this is probably the easiest to get & install, the likely lowest cost add-on, and probably the most beneficial for trailering. Good luck.

Cadboy425
09-14-06, 12:11 AM
how about for the V6 awd model what is the max it can tow? mine came w/ the trailering package but no hitch either.

Package
09-14-06, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the replies. I would at least get a trans cooler when we get the camper. I was not sure if the cooling system was that much different in the towing pakcage compared to the non towing package. I know the load leveling rear suspension will help when towing as well. I would think that engine power would not be an issue for the V8.....

05SRXV6
09-14-06, 12:39 PM
Towing rating is the same V6 vs V8, its been mentioned here before.

The only real mechanical differences between tow pkg equipped and non tow pkg is Cooling equipment.

The suspensions are the same, the brakes are the same, the gear ratios and the transmissions are the same... Tow Pkg vs Non.

Every SRX mechanically can handle the 4250lbs. Cooling is the apparent issue in regards to 1000lbs vs 4250lbs capacity.

Theoretically the V8 should make and easier job of towing, BUT it is pulling through TALLER rear end gearing, negating the advantage of 2 extra cylinders somewhat IMO.

05SRXV6
09-14-06, 12:56 PM
I don't have the Tow Pkg. But if I were wanting to tow more than 1000 lbs on a regular basis I would, as mentioned above, add a Large external Transmission Cooler and also install a Transmission Temperature Gauge.
I would also consider changing out the tranny fluid with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.

Tranny are almost always the weak link when towing.

Package
09-15-06, 10:22 AM
I will research the trans coiler. Any suggestions as to who sells them for the SRX ? Also, good suggestion on the Syn. trans. fluid, that should help protect it from higher temps.....

mjk
09-15-06, 10:51 AM
I don't have the Tow Pkg. But if I were wanting to tow more than 1000 lbs on a regular basis I would, as mentioned above, add a Large external Transmission Cooler and also install a Transmission Temperature Gauge.
I would also consider changing out the tranny fluid with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.

Tranny are almost always the weak link when towing.

Can one get the Trans Cooler installed himself, is there a kit you can buy, where to look for it etc..???Some more info would be greatly appreciated.

Smokin' SRX
09-17-06, 01:03 PM
Can one get the Trans Cooler installed himself, is there a kit you can buy, where to look for it etc..???Some more info would be greatly appreciated.

Transmissions have a stock OEM feed and return line, to and back again, from the radiator. I've seen many tranny/custom truck shops add a " cooler" under the front bumper or engine area (looks like a mini-radiator @ about 8" x 6" ) and goes in-line (like an in-line fuel filter) to the "in -side" of the tranny-to-radiator line. This way the tranny fluid is somewhat cooled before it even reaches the main radiator. I suppose it could be done on the return line, back to the tranny also. Check the Cooler manufactuers advice! " ETrailer.coml" is a big one. Also, beware that these are PRESSURE lines (similar to water hoses!) and must be tight to achieve leak/burst free useage!)

I like the offered idea of synthetic tranny fluid. Wonder if it's ok for the "sealed" 5-speed trans in this truck?? Wonder why GM didn't do it themselves with the "Trailering" package!?? They specify Syntec for the engine oil! Check before changing fluids!!

I have a riding 10 HP lawnmower that always ran hot!! Put Synthetic motor oil in it and .......presto! Runs much, much cooler!! Good luck!!

mjk
09-18-06, 03:25 PM
Transmissions have a stock OEM feed and return line, to and back again, from the radiator. I've seen many tranny/custom truck shops add a " cooler" under the front bumper or engine area (looks like a mini-radiator @ about 8" x 6" ) and goes in-line (like an in-line fuel filter) to the "in -side" of the tranny-to-radiator line.........

Thanks a lot for the information.
Suppose I got a tranny cooler installed myself. Could there be any warranty issues ???

05SRXV6
09-19-06, 08:02 AM
It will not void your warranty. The only way it can be a warranty issue is if it is PROVEN that the modification caused the warrentied part failure. There is a law to protect us from this. Magnusson vs (?) Act.

john d
09-19-06, 09:57 AM
About the voiding of the warranty question.
I don't know if anyone on this forum is an attorney, I'm not, but I'd bet that if you break the "seal" of the tranny to install the cooler Cadillac would use that to refuse warranty coverage on the tranny.
I'd suggest you have your dealer install the cooler because whatever labor they'd charge would be nothing compared to your eating a tranny overhaul or replacement. Suggest you check with dealer before buying a cooler as the dealer may refuse to touch non-factory items. If your near the warranty's end that might not be a concern.
Too, anything we SRX owners might say would have no influnce on a Cadillac warranty manager, arbitrator or judge.
Attorneys are expensive if you win or not and the process would be a drain on your time, energy and sanity.
Plus, just the hassele of a failed tranny is ..... well you know.
Ditto on syn fluid.

05SRXV6
09-20-06, 09:58 AM
Wise words for sure. I am fortunate to have a very easy to deal with dealer service department. -They've gone out of their way to fix/replace things I didn't think there was a problem with (headlight exc).

However the SRX tranny is NOT a "sealed" unit. It just does not have a traditional dipstick. There is a fill plug on the unit. And the owners manual calls for fluid changes every 50k miles if operating under certain "severe" conditions...