: question on swaping out 96 northstar

rusty3676
09-10-06, 10:33 AM
hello listen i just bought a 96 Seville a month later a rod launched through the block under the intake (right at the back of the starter what a weird spot for a starter) anyways the car is beautiful and deserves another motor
I was just looking for sum advice in other words what am I getting myself into with this motor I know the motor has to be dropped from the bottom is there any helpful pointers someone can give me on this project of mine
ooh yeah do I have to disconnect all them braklines I also have access to a liftwww.rusty3676@sbcglobal.net

zonie77
09-10-06, 11:22 AM
You can use 96-99 motor (I think). 2000 and up are different and need fabrication on the sensors/electronics.

Dropping the cradle is the easiest and if you have access to a lift it's a no brainer. Look at the Head Gasket repair thread in tech tips for related info on dropping it. There are other threads with info but they may be hard to find.

A Factory Service Manual is a good idea but to swap engines it's probably not necessary.

You can drop the cradle without discoing brake lines.

Ranger
09-10-06, 11:45 AM
hello listen i just bought a 96 Seville a month later a rod launched through the block under the intake (right at the back of the starter what a weird spot for a starter) anyways the car is beautiful and deserves another motor
I was just looking for sum advice in other words what am I getting myself into with this motor I know the motor has to be dropped from the bottom is there any helpful pointers someone can give me on this project of mine
ooh yeah do I have to disconnect all them braklines I also have access to a liftwww.rusty3676@sbcglobal.net
:eek: WOW! That is almost unheard of on there motors. Sorry to hear about it.

rusty3676
09-10-06, 04:07 PM
hey thanks for the info I heard alot of horror stories about disconnecting the ECM something about pulling the whole dash out

zonie77
09-10-06, 05:48 PM
The computer is behind the glove box...that is not hard to pull out, about 6-8 small screws I think.

rusty3676
09-10-06, 07:16 PM
thanks again

Odin8
09-10-06, 09:36 PM
a rod launched through the block under the intake

Yah, that's exactly what happened to me, except it happened on the drive home from where I had bought it, the first day I owned it. And Ranger said the same thing then too, haha. :thumbsup:

Out of curiousity, how many miles were on the engine?

rusty3676
09-11-06, 02:05 PM
83,933 does anybody have any ideas on where to pickup a good cheap motor Ill take a drive
Thanks Todd
Tinley Park IL

eldorado1
09-11-06, 02:34 PM
Yah, that's exactly what happened to me, except it happened on the drive home from where I had bought it, the first day I owned it. And Ranger said the same thing then too, haha. :thumbsup:

Out of curiousity, how many miles were on the engine?

Happened to me too. 2000 engine.

dang crappy rod bolts. (what I blame it on)

Rod was bent into an L shape, and the piston was in about 1000 mangled pieces

cart69
09-13-06, 12:29 PM
what ya doin with the junk motor?? i am close to ya and might be interested in it for disection!! also if you need a hand helpin with the swap hit me up did it on my 96 sts not too long ago then my wife got it when we divorced!!! :(

rusty3676
09-13-06, 09:42 PM
definitely Ill be looking 4 help maybe we could work something out how long did it take you to swap out the engines &what year was the car
I'm thinking about letting a shop do it found a motor 4 $1200 with 50000 miles or let the shop do it with a motor they have with 60000 miles for $2000 installed with a 90 day guarantee call me 773-842-3962
Todd

PS usually up till midnight