: Highway speed and RPM?

mach1456
09-10-06, 06:13 AM
Got a 97 and it runs a about 2700-2900 RPM at 70-75 MPH. Is this normal for these cars? The transmission light comes on at this speed also, causing the car to go into limp mode. If I turn off the car and restart it the light goes off and shifts normal again. Does anybody have any answers for this problem. Bought this car a month ago and the hood has been up on it almost everyday, only has 84k on it, very frustrating car.

guardian
09-10-06, 06:26 AM
Welcome to the Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/). It's good to have you here.

I strongly urge you to read as extensively in this forum as your time permits. Read the old posts. Many of the situations you are encountering likely have been discussed here.

The Catera is a great car and I hope you can get her put right. But if you can obtain a shop manual and tackle your own repairs it will be far less costly for you.:thumbsup:

Good luck!:)

meyema03
09-10-06, 03:45 PM
I go on many road trips atleast once a week and i usually run at 80 mph and the tach is at 3000 and i get 25 mpg 3.9:1 rear end will get the rpms runnin high but our motor was made for higher rpms as for the trans light i have no clue but sounds like bad news will be coming your way.

irebroff
10-01-06, 04:17 PM
The Catera is a german Car and we drive about 150 mph on highways, but the traffic is higher and you have to brake and to accellerate all time. So you need more rpm that you can accellerate faster:)