: Wiggly seats?

DrWizard
09-09-06, 10:36 PM
I just purchased an '05 STS-4 and the car is great. I have noticed that the front seats have a slight wiggle in them.The wiggle is in the seat back (vertical portion) and is noticeable in cornering and uneven pavements. The seat bottom (horizontal portion) is stable and doesn't wiggle at all. Has anyone experienced this?

malcolm
09-11-06, 11:21 AM
I had a problem with the seat bottoms, there was a TSB issued about the bottoms being a problem. I have not noticed a problem in the backs.

ijsegurola
09-12-06, 08:40 AM
I have noticed this also although not constantly....I think mine has to do with the lumbar support in the seat back....

stealthgray
10-09-06, 10:40 PM
The bottom of the drivers seat on my new 2006 STS seems to be moving side to side now with just 2000 miles. It feels like a pad under the leather is shifting or loose. I can't find the TSB, can you help?

yourgmsolutions
10-10-06, 12:06 AM
I have 6K miles on mine and just start noticing the same thing, feels like seat moving when cornering mostly, my dealer told me that they could not duplicated, and they said more likely it's my imagination. I think I'm going to print this thread and take it to the dealer again

designdetroit
10-10-06, 06:14 AM
I have the same issue with the seat bottom. Took it to the original purchase dealer, and they said they could not duplicate, then told me it was poor design, old GM quality. Humm.. 50K Cadillac with wiggly seats...B.S.! The second dealer that I visited first told me it was in my head, until I spoke with the Service Manager...He had told me that there were a few other vehicles with the same issue...A few hours later, and my car was done. I was told they did a few adjustments, and then shimmed the seat? I asked with what...but I dont really want to know.... At first it felt great, solid as a rock! ! But since then I have noticed a little bit of wiggle upon ingress-egress, but not when cornering / braking / acceleration. I plan to take it back, and have them re-adjust. This is an issue...and needs to be addressed by GM, and the Seat Supplier.

Dealer info: Rinke Cadillac - Warren MI

DrWizard
10-11-06, 07:24 PM
Shortly after I first posted this thread, I took my STS to the dealer to have them look at it. They kept it for 2 days. They said that they disassembled the seats and reassembled them. They found nothing wrong with them. I had a loaner DeVille and asked the service coordinator to sit in it and wiggle. Stiff as a board. Then he sat in my STS and wiggled. He noticed the movement but said lets get another STS and see what happens. There was one in the service area. I sat in it and wiggled and it was much worse than mine. I guess they all wiggle. Its just that some notice it and some don't. Its a shame because many lesser cars don't have this problem.

malcolm
10-12-06, 10:54 AM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/stsfaq/tsb/data/tsb/05-08-50-007.pdf

Document ID# 1656299 Refers more to passenger side but could also affect drivers side. I had this problem and took this doc to my service department and the fixed it with no problem.

BTW as far as I am concerned the seats in the STS suck. Very difficult to find a comfortable position. I am constantly tweeking, up down forward back etc.. I really regret not waiting for the DTS when I got into the STS.

TheMacMan
10-14-06, 11:35 PM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/stsfaq/tsb/data/tsb/05-08-50-007.pdf

Document ID# 1656299 Refers more to passenger side but could also affect drivers side. I had this problem and took this doc to my service department and the fixed it with no problem.

BTW as far as I am concerned the seats in the STS suck. Very difficult to find a comfortable position. I am constantly tweeking, up down forward back etc.. I really regret not waiting for the DTS when I got into the STS.

Thanks guys, I hae the same problem. I just printed the PDF and will take it to my dealer to fix.

designdetroit
11-01-06, 03:01 PM
Just a quick note, there is a TSB that address this problem posted 9/21/06. This is not a issue that a customer should just "deal with"....Good Luck.

Document ID# 1863385
2006 Cadillac STS

http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1863385&pubid=1268&evc=sm

fredolan
11-01-06, 03:25 PM
Great Site. Owned 05 STS for two weeks. I felt the bottom wiggle. Thought it was an issue with prior owner. I asked my neighbor who is a lear geek to take a look. He should be here in an hour or so.

stealthgray
11-04-06, 05:41 PM
Help. Your link to the September TSB on the wiggly seats will not open for me. Can you please paste and copy it on this site?

Thanks!

bigdog9586
11-04-06, 08:52 PM
First time I clicked on it when first posted it opened right up. This time it didn't, but I did right click on it and told it to save it and it did. Clicked on the saved doc and it opened right up. Try it and I hope it works for you or I can upload it here.
=============

Help. Your link to the September TSB on the wiggly seats will not open for me. Can you please paste and copy it on this site?

Thanks!

designdetroit
11-06-06, 08:45 AM
Document ID# 1863385
2006 Cadillac STS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Front Seat Cushion Moves Sideways, Pops and Creaks When Turning (Install Rubber Hose (Vacuum Line) On Adjuster Rail) #06-08-50-010 - (09/21/2006)

Models: 2005-2007 Cadillac STS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that the driver or passenger seat cushion moves sideways slightly while going around corners. They may also hear a pop or creak noise when this happens.

Cause
This condition may be caused by too much clearance between the seat cushion platform anchors and the seat adjuster rail.

Correction
Install four pieces of rubber hose (vacuum line) on the seat adjuster track following the procedure below:

Move the seat back and up in order to gain access.
Remove the power seat switch bezel by pulling the bezel away from the seat. This will disengage the retaining clips.
Remove the seat trim plate.
Disconnect the connector from the power seat switch.
Remove the two 10 mm nuts that retain the seat cushion to the adjuster rail.
Lift the front of the seat cushion up and forward in order to unfasten the rear hooks that retain the seat cushion to the adjuster rail.
Cut four pieces of 7/64 in rubber hose (vacuum line).

Split the rubber hose (vacuum line) down the side . Apply weatherstrip adhesive to the inside of the hose (vacuum line) and install to the seat adjuster rail.
Install the seat cushion to the adjuster rail.
Install the two 10 mm nuts.
Tighten
Tighten the seat cushion nuts to 9 Nm (80 lb in).

Install the seat trim plate.
Connect the electrical connector to the power seat switch.
Install the power seat switch bezel.
Re-zero the inflatable restraint passenger presence system whenever the seat cushion or any components are removed. Refer to Control Module References.
Warranty Information
For vehicle repaired under warranty, use;

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

C9711*
Left Seat Cushion, Install Rubber Hose Adjuster Rail - R&R
0.3 hr

C9712*
Right Seat Cushion, Install Rubber Hose Adjuster Rail - R&R
0.3 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1863385
2006 Cadillac STS

stealthgray
11-06-06, 08:54 PM
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

This is EXACTLY what my car is doing. I will take this to my dealer and get it fixed. Damn, this site is great!

Duke's 3rd STS
12-24-06, 09:37 AM
yup. My '05 front left seat botom wiggles left to right and back. Think this is a warranty item to put o the list as well as wx stripping o bottom of front left door.

CTS11723
01-03-07, 11:07 AM
I had the same problem. My local dealer fixed it as per this bulletin. It is much better now, but there is a lingering odor in the vehicle. Possibly some type of glue. P-U!

Zig28
04-06-07, 01:23 PM
I can't believe this, my seat is starting to wiggle so I searched through the threads and found that I'm not the only one. Let's see -- brand new 2006 STS4 with 7,800 miles and it's been back twice for the rear differential leak, now the seat is wiggling, and I have that really weird noise that sounds like the muffler's dragging. And one of the reasons I bought the car was the high JD Power ratings for Caddy??

Ziggy. :rant2:

Benjamin Simon
02-18-08, 12:51 AM
I am not having trouble with the seat being wiggly, but rather it squeaks alot. It happens when I am at a stop and accelerate or merely moving back and forth. Something is loose it seems. I took it to the dealer, but at the time they could not get it do duplicate. It has gotten worse, so that should not be a problem this time; however, I wanted to bring them a TSB or some other info because my service department is a bunch of morons.

JMartin
04-03-08, 04:54 PM
Mine was doing the same thing. Just damn squeaky. Bugged the heck out of me. Took it back this past weekend, made my service guy sit in the car and move around. No problem recreating that problem. He was amazed and said he had never seen that before. They did some kind of adjustment which fixed 98% of the noise, then he said they used leather conditioner to get rid of the remaining 2% of the noise. Whatever they did it is 100% fixed. I love driving it now.

BEVA53
04-03-08, 07:55 PM
I have an 05 with 27k miles on it and mine wiggles from side to side. I bought the car 3 months ago and it has wiggled from the day I bought it.

dhemrick
04-06-08, 09:15 AM
If you are talking about the bottom seat cushion seeming to wiggle back and forth on the frame (sometimes emitting a squeaking or farting sound), then there is a TSB on this. VERY common problem.

The fix involves using some split rubber tubing to shim up the seat. I had it done many months ago, and have had no issues since.

Do a forum search on "squeaky seat" or something similar. Lots of discussion on it already. Then take it to the dealer. They should fix it for you as you should still be under warranty.

inurok
08-16-09, 05:13 AM
Wow I noticed this in my car but just though it was me. It does not bother me enough to bring it in for service though.

widmann@hotmail.com
08-16-09, 09:32 AM
While we are on the subject of seats.. I was in the back seat of a friends 05 STS, i notice the back of the drives seat had actually come apart. It was very noticeable on his car. So, i looked at my drives seat and it appear to be seperating at the same place as his just not as pronounced.. have others noticed this? is there a TSB for this?

Joe Pagano
09-11-09, 11:01 PM
Has anyone tried fixing this themselves? My 05 is out of warranty and thinking of doing it myself. Tips welcome.
Thanks............. Joe

Joe Pagano
09-25-09, 06:12 PM
I dove into this and fixed the seat myself. Pull off the two sided trim around front of seat. Disconnect the seat controls, or remove the entire module. You will find two 10mm nuts holding the front of the seat down on the rails. Remove these and lift the seat up, you will not be able to remove it completely so just work around it. You will see 4 square holes in the top of the rails, this is where the seat fits into. You may even see wear marks at these holes, ergo the movement and noise. Put small pieces of split vaccum hose with glue inside, on each side of these holes, 8, let the glue dry a little and then place the seat back into these holes. It will be a challenge to get the seat back in place, but it's just rubber hose and it will give. Use some downward force when resetting the studs in the front, replace the 10mm nuts and you are done. Just replace the trim panel. Most of these instructions will become clear once you are actually seeing the mechanics of it.
PS the only reason you need the glue is to keep those pieces of hose in place until after insertion. Joe P

vrodguy08
06-19-13, 05:34 PM
Document ID# 1863385
2006 Cadillac STS

Subject: Front Seat Cushion Moves Sideways, Pops and Creaks When Turning (Install Rubber Hose (Vacuum Line) On Adjuster Rail) #06-08-50-010 - (09/21/2006)

Models: 2005-2007 Cadillac STS

Condition
Some customers may comment that the driver or passenger seat cushion moves sideways slightly while going around corners. They may also hear a pop or creak noise when this happens.

Cause
This condition may be caused by too much clearance between the seat cushion platform anchors and the seat adjuster rail.

Correction
Install four pieces of rubber hose (vacuum line) on the seat adjuster track following the procedure below:

Move the seat back and up in order to gain access.
Remove the power seat switch bezel by pulling the bezel away from the seat. This will disengage the retaining clips.
Remove the seat trim plate.
Disconnect the connector from the power seat switch.
Remove the two 10 mm nuts that retain the seat cushion to the adjuster rail.
Lift the front of the seat cushion up and forward in order to unfasten the rear hooks that retain the seat cushion to the adjuster rail.
Cut four pieces of 7/64 in rubber hose (vacuum line).

Split the rubber hose (vacuum line) down the side . Apply weatherstrip adhesive to the inside of the hose (vacuum line) and install to the seat adjuster rail.
Install the seat cushion to the adjuster rail.
Install the two 10 mm nuts.
Tighten
Tighten the seat cushion nuts to 9 Nm (80 lb in).

Install the seat trim plate.
Connect the electrical connector to the power seat switch.
Install the power seat switch bezel.
Re-zero the inflatable restraint passenger presence system whenever the seat cushion or any components are removed. Refer to Control Module References.
Warranty Information
For vehicle repaired under warranty, use;

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

C9711*
Left Seat Cushion, Install Rubber Hose Adjuster Rail - R&R
0.3 hr

C9712*
Right Seat Cushion, Install Rubber Hose Adjuster Rail - R&R
0.3 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1863385
2006 Cadillac STS

Winder if anyone has ever taken any photos of doing this? Would be handy!

curtc
06-19-13, 05:42 PM
I plan on undertaking this myself sometime this summer, these creaky seats have annoyed the crap out of me since I bought this car...If I do it I will take some pics as I go.

EChas3
06-19-13, 08:21 PM
It was a long time ago, but I do remember seeing some images.

With roughly 8,000 threads, there's an awful lot of stuff just here on the STS forum. Think hor much there is on the whole site.

Relate27
06-20-13, 12:04 PM
I just thought that I had special Cadillac race seats that adjusted with the curves as I drove. Guess I was wrong lol..

vrodguy08
06-21-13, 01:01 PM
Ok it states cut 4 pieces of 7/64 vac hose. So what length is needed? I was wondering how much vac hose one needs to buy?

vrodguy08
06-23-13, 12:59 PM
Ok so I decided to tackle this job. All I had to do was tighten up the two 10mm nuts. They were surprisingly pretty loose. Seat is nice and tight now.