: couple q's on a 98 cat

figgie
09-08-06, 11:26 AM
1. The headlight assembly. How to take off the driver side one? I need to take it off, if not the entire thing, at least the plastic cover as the reflector housing is not mounted anymore (pointed to highway over passes ;) )

2. Rear driver shock. Anyone got an idea of how much the shock alone will run and how difficult to replace?

3. low idle. Cat does not have anyway to raise idle so I assume one of the sensors is not doing its job. O2 more than likely.

Vesicant
09-09-06, 01:16 AM
1. The headlight assembly. How to take off the driver side one? I need to take it off, if not the entire thing, at least the plastic cover as the reflector housing is not mounted anymore (pointed to highway over passes ;) )

2. Rear driver shock. Anyone got an idea of how much the shock alone will run and how difficult to replace?

3. low idle. Cat does not have anyway to raise idle so I assume one of the sensors is not doing its job. O2 more than likely.

1. The plastic is part of the assembly. Ive seen people take apart headlights by setting their oven to the lowest possible temperature and gently heating it up enough to melt the glue keeping the outer plastic lens shell to the assembly thereby allowing you to reglue/silicone caulk it or realize that you may need to buy an all together new assembly.

To remove it, you have to take off the grille (just two screws on either side of it), the outer body coloured bezzel (two screws holding this in) surrounding the headlight and then there are (total of 3) two top screws and one bottom screw that hold on the headlamp assembly.

2. Not too difficult, there's an air line that runs to the airbag on the shock but otherwise shouldnt be hard at all.

3. Unless someone from say a Cadillac dealer has a Tech II diagnostic computer to change the programming on the PCM, it cant be done. Whats it ldling at?

figgie
09-09-06, 06:21 PM
1. The plastic is part of the assembly. Ive seen people take apart headlights by setting their oven to the lowest possible temperature and gently heating it up enough to melt the glue keeping the outer plastic lens shell to the assembly thereby allowing you to reglue/silicone caulk it or realize that you may need to buy an all together new assembly.

To remove it, you have to take off the grille (just two screws on either side of it), the outer body coloured bezzel (two screws holding this in) surrounding the headlight and then there are (total of 3) two top screws and one bottom screw that hold on the headlamp assembly.

2. Not too difficult, there's an air line that runs to the airbag on the shock but otherwise shouldnt be hard at all.

3. Unless someone from say a Cadillac dealer has a Tech II diagnostic computer to change the programming on the PCM, it cant be done. Whats it ldling at?

roughly around 500 which makes the car rattle REAL bad. woulkd a "dirty" MAF cause this? the car in question has about 150,000 miles btw

Vesicant
09-09-06, 09:55 PM
roughly around 500 which makes the car rattle REAL bad. woulkd a "dirty" MAF cause this? the car in question has about 150,000 miles btw

Whens the last time it's had a tuneup? Cateras are only good till 100,000 then they need a routine tuneup. There are a few things that could possibly cause it. Is it low on power or hesitating at all?

A MAF could possibly cause it. But then again, dirty injectors or bad plugs could have adverse effects... etc. etc.

figgie
09-11-06, 12:05 PM
not plugs or injectors as ai verified both of them working and got the injectors cleaned the sake of doing that task.

power is fine.

well it don't matter... I am selling the car or getting it trade in, which ever comes first. Just place an order for a 07 CTS ;)