: Brake pad, Brake fluid, and Rotors. Whats best???

V-Love
09-07-06, 03:50 PM
I want to take the car to the track and beat on it regularly. But, I'll need to upgrade pads and fluid first, then eventually the rotors. What is the best stuff out there? I heard of brake fluid for $10 bucks a quart and some for $80. Will I void warranty for messing with the brakes? Thanks. Sebring is only a month away.

v-ape
09-07-06, 04:12 PM
You dont want to put race fluid in your stock lines, I believe it will corrode!

50 4Ever
09-07-06, 05:01 PM
I run Performance Friction Z-Rated DOT 3 Fliud and their street/track pads.

:thumbsup:

Seattle CTS-V
09-07-06, 06:00 PM

:thumbsup:

How's the brake dust on those pads? I'd like both good street performance, awesome track performance AND minimal dust. Do they exist?

Chef
09-07-06, 06:40 PM

What's the boil temp?

50 4Ever
09-07-06, 07:21 PM
How's the brake dust on those pads? I'd like both good street performance, awesome track performance AND minimal dust. Do they exist?

Short answer is no. I think any pad that gives you great performance on both street and track will dust. However, these don't dust like the stock ones, I don't think any pads dust that bad.

What's the boil temp?

570 dry, I forget what the wet boiling point is.

V-Love
09-08-06, 08:29 AM
So braided steel lines are needed too? I didnt know that track pads were so different that street ones. I thought once you upgrade your better all around. Is it just the dust that makes the track pads suck for daily driving? I can live w/ cleaning the rims more.

teros1
09-09-06, 03:46 PM
Hawk pads have good power and noise characteristics, and very little dust. Many threads on this.

SS lines have some drawbacks, esp in high temperatures. Some folks rec sticking with stock. See Vette forums for details.

Bob

lunarx
09-09-06, 07:27 PM
My .02 cents, since I need to raise my post count :bigroll:

If you are going to track your car, you really want a seperate set of track wheels & tires.
Keep your street tires/wheels like new and get max grip on track.

That said, while swapping wheels/tires the night before your track day, is the ideal time to swap brake pads.
Therefore have some nice low-dust, quiet street pads like Hawk HPS for street use.
Then get some Performance Friction PFC97 for track use.
Add some Ate Super-Blue brake fluid and you are set.
Keep your stock lines and rotors as they are more than good enough.

verbs
09-10-06, 04:01 AM
Short answer is no. I think any pad that gives you great performance on both street and track will dust. However, these don't dust like the stock ones, I don't think any pads dust that bad.

I disagree. I've used both the EBC GreenStuff and RedStuff pads on multiple cars and loved em. Both dusted less than the stockers and I had incredible braking performance increases. My next pads will be EBCs.

EBC Brakes Automotive (http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html)

rgd
09-10-06, 11:10 AM
For Rotors you might try Cadillac Motorsports. I just picked up a nice set of front slotted rotors, cryo treated with Billett Aluminum Hats excellant deal. Contact Pete Raimondi, I believe they are sponsers.

Motul 600 brake fluid $28. qt??? Have not heard about corroding, thanks for the tip!

I also have goodyear stainless lines, no issue running them two track days in 100 deg plus weather. The last time out the asphault temp was 150deg, no issue. I have heard of them causing static discharge in dry heat like Las Vegas. ???

No clue what is best just my thoughts after doing same as you, questioning and going for it.

Dreamin really knows allot about all this kind of stuff if he is on the boards these days!

Thanks,

rgd

rgd
09-10-06, 11:13 AM
I disagree. I've used both the EBC GreenStuff and RedStuff pads on multiple cars and loved em. Both dusted less than the stockers and I had incredible braking performance increases. My next pads will be EBCs.

EBC Brakes Automotive (http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html)

I have been told (by Dreamin) green pads are good. Pretty sure he said green. (Dreamin) Resident Guru

lunarx
09-10-06, 11:35 AM
For Rotors you might try Cadillac Motorsports. I just picked up a nice set of front slotted rotors, cryo treated with Billett Aluminum Hats excellant deal. Contact Pete Raimondi, I believe they are sponsers.

How much were the 2 piece rotors?
Those sound great, if the replacement rotor cost is not to crazy high compared to stock rotors.

end9472
09-10-06, 02:51 PM
V-love, I have run my car on the track several times over the last 2 years. I thought I would have to change out pads and rotors as well. I have run Vettes over the years and have tried a variety of rotors and pads. I was amazed at how the V's stock Brembos worked, particularly after running two days in a row. Very impressive stopping power, and I still have the original pads after over 200 track miles (Gingerman in MI and Autobahn in Joliet, IL) and yes, I ran the car hard. All I did was change the fluid - Ate Super Blue - and tires - S-03 Pole Positions . IMO, get a set of tires and some Super Blue and go have a blast.

Oh, I also put in a racing harness to stay planted in the seat.

V-Love
09-12-06, 12:33 PM
V-love, I have run my car on the track several times over the last 2 years. I thought I would have to change out pads and rotors as well. I have run Vettes over the years and have tried a variety of rotors and pads. I was amazed at how the V's stock Brembos worked, particularly after running two days in a row. Very impressive stopping power, and I still have the original pads after over 200 track miles (Gingerman in MI and Autobahn in Joliet, IL) and yes, I ran the car hard. All I did was change the fluid - Ate Super Blue - and tires - S-03 Pole Positions . IMO, get a set of tires and some Super Blue and go have a blast.

Much appreciated. I am gonna start with fluid and pads. I cant afford new tires and rims. I have to run them till they are slicks then replace. Sebring is coming soon.

Dreamin
09-13-06, 06:33 PM
I have been told (by Dreamin) green pads are good. Pretty sure he said green. (Dreamin) Resident Guru

Not a big fan of EBC's... tried them on a car, didn't like them.

I use stock pads on the street and PFC '01 race pads for the track. Stock pads work great on the track too... esp until you have a few events under your belt and start fading them.
And i use Motul 600 brake fluid, but again stock fluid is just fine.
SS brake lines aren't going to be needed until the rubber lines start to harden up / crack... which shouldn't be for a few more years (on the '04s)

Dreamin
09-13-06, 06:36 PM

What did you use as anchor points?

Dennisscars
09-14-06, 12:51 AM
Yeah.. spill! Pics would be great too.. :thumbsup:

I've got 31+ tracks days on stock pads and rotors.. no complaints here besides the dust, but then I use the amount of dust to tell me how hard I'm working the brakes. Just started third set of comp rubber and calipers are still silver!

Dreamin
09-14-06, 01:01 AM
calipers are still silver!
Then you're not driving hard enough! ;) :histeric:

I'm selling a set of PFC 01 race pads... PM me if you're interested...

Dennisscars
09-14-06, 01:08 AM
You're not driving hard enough! ;) :histeric:

Going plenty, I guess not whoa-ing enough...:highfive: It makes the corners more interesting if you don't use the brakes! :bouncy:

You shoulda made Laguna and Sears Pt last week, it was a blast. BW at the end of the month, you should come down. I'm trying to break 50 by July!

lunarx
09-14-06, 01:14 AM
Yeah.. spill! Pics would be great too.. :thumbsup:

I've got 31+ tracks days on stock pads and rotors.. no complaints here besides the dust, but then I use the amount of dust to tell me how hard I'm working the brakes. Just started third set of comp rubber and calipers are still silver!
Dennis speaks the truth.
I saw his car in action at Laguna Seca and it is sick fast. :thumbsup:
Maggie hooked him up well.
The more I think about it, the more I realize it's Maggie or just stay stock.

He said he does not hit the brakes hard, but he lied.
He was using the brakes real good, as you need to w/ 460 RWHP and the braking demands of Laguna Seca.
I think his wheel design just offers more cooling to the calipers and rotors.
He has the dual spoke (very open) GM upgraded wheels.

Although I certianly agree that PFC-01 would clearly take the braking performance to Maggie levels on the slo down.

As for not driving hard enough he was busting out very low 1:40's at Laguna Seca.
Only C5 Z06's could hold him off.

Dennisscars
09-14-06, 01:23 AM
Maggie... can't beat that sweet, sweet sound.. oh and the looks on their faces..

Jack /on
Best quote of the weekend.. "is that a custom intake" (referring to maggie)
"why yes, yes it is....." (me)

Jack /done

rgd
09-14-06, 01:23 PM
How much were the 2 piece rotors?
Those sound great, if the replacement rotor cost is not to crazy high compared to stock rotors.

Sent you a PM!
rgd