: I'm Going To Kill Someone -Please Advise!!!

Holmes815
09-07-06, 02:35 PM
Let me preface this story, this is the 5th time I took my car in to Cadillac. The first 4 times I brought it there is sat all day without being touched. Let me also say that I bought this car used from a man who definately did not kick the crap out of this car and I recieved it with 7,500 miles on it. I just recieved a phone call from the service advisor from the local dealership here in Englewood Cliffs NJ (literally a mile from my job at NBC.) I brought the car in for soft clutch (I showed him the TSB about it when he first talked to me), sunroof switch, sunvisor, and defective pain on the hood. He response to the sunroof switch was that it was fixed, the sunvisor was on order but here's the kick to the balls; THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CLUTCH!!!! WHAT KIND OF F-ING CAR IS HE USED TO DRIVING WHEN THE CLUTCH HITS THE FLOOR AT ANYTHING OVER 2500 RPMS????? ALSO THE STRANGE CIRCLES ON THE PAINT WEREN'T RAIL RUST BUT FROM ACID RAIN ACCORDING TO CADILLAC. THIS CAR WAS GARAGED BEOFRE I GOT IT SO THE ACID RAIN FROM 4 F-ING MONTHS OF ME OWNING IT MUST HAVE DONE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TO TOP IT OFF THEY SAID A FORMER REGIONAL REP OR SOMETHING WAS THERE HELPING THEM ADVISE- SOUNDS LIKE BS TO ME. I MAY BE ONLY 24 BUT I WASN'T BORN YESTERDAY, THESE ARE OBVIOUS PROBLEMS WITH OUR CARS AND I FEEL IVE BEEN GIVEN THE RUN AROUND BECAUSE I DIDNT PURCHASE THE CAR FROM THIS DEALER

CAN ANYONE BE IT TECHNICIAN, CADILLAC DEALER ON HERE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE BECAUSE I'M ON THE VERGE OF KICKING SOMEONE'S ASS!! WHAT GOOD IS A 4YR/50,000 MILE WARRANTY IF THEY DON'T HOLD THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE FOR RPROBLEMS THAT ARE DOCUMENTED BY OTHER OWNERS!!!!!:rant2:

PLEASE HELP!!!!
JAMES

keeksv
09-07-06, 02:52 PM
Might want to get someone here to run your VIN and see the repair/warranty history of your car. You may be getting grief based on the previous claims made. Or you could be experiencing the kind of service Cadillac/GM is becoming know for providing to their customers in many cases.

You can always go to another dealership. Remember that...

Holmes815
09-07-06, 03:01 PM
Don't have my vin (or car right now, still at the dealer) but I highly doubt this guy made a stir with the car when he had it. I might be taking a trip to the owner when I get there with TSB's in hand!!!! I guess I could try another dealer but aren't all of them linked by database so if I go somewhere else won't they try to give me the immediate runaround??? The way this is handled will definaitely define whether or not I buy GM again in the future. Don't they understand Customer Service= Repeat Customers= more$$$$ IT's not like I;m making these things up. Oh and btw no mods on myt cars (not even Cags right now (I took it off for the appointment!!!) Keep the comments coming please!!!

James

The Tony Show
09-07-06, 03:09 PM
Best advice: You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Be polite, and advise them that you don't feel safe driving the car with the clutch behaving the way it is, and you do not want to take the car back until they call the technical assistance center and get something done about it. TAC will probably tell them to replace your clutch.

Yelling and threats will get nothing accomplished, except them asking you not to come back (they do have the right to refuse service). Service departments are just like waiters- I don't mess with the guy who could spit in my food, much less the guy who can deny me repairs on my car.

Holmes815
09-07-06, 03:14 PM
So Technical Assistance Center for the clutch; I didn't plan on getting nasty because I know they're the ones in control and I;m pretty good at schmoozing anyway but I really feel helpless right now. I'll definitely talk to them about my safety.

James

BigFred
09-07-06, 03:15 PM
I think they are more likely to try to push around a owner under 25 because they think they can. I had a minor dealer issue and cotacted cadillac on their website, they called the dealer and took care of it with no problem. Your issues are subjective though.

Even if the dealers are linked, if you can find a "car guy" minded dealer that agrees the clutch is bad, I think they would repair it for you. LEt them know you are looking for a new dealer to service the car.

Silver Dollar
09-07-06, 03:32 PM
I was going to recommend walking around to the back of your car, popping the trunk, taking out the tire tool and wearing someone's ass out.

But then I remembered there is no tire tool. Another reason the cuss those DAMN RUNCRAPS!

heavymetals
09-07-06, 03:36 PM
You better hope nothing happens to anybody at this dealership.:eek:

Chill out.

CIWS
09-07-06, 03:41 PM
there is no tire tool. Another reason the cuss those DAMN RUNCRAPS!

Hmm, strange, my V has Runcraps and a tire tool....http://www.ciws.net/ctsv/happyhappy.gif Must be that 06 of yours, or the Infrared color...

;)

Holmes815
09-07-06, 03:57 PM
I'm actually on the phone right now with Cadillac, they're very helpful and just put me on hold to contact the dealer to see what they have diagnosed and the reasons why. Lets cross our fingers!!

James

Silver Dollar
09-07-06, 04:34 PM
Hmm, strange, my V has Runcraps and a tire tool....http://www.ciws.net/ctsv/happyhappy.gif Must be that 06 of yours, or the Infrared color...

;)

You got a tire tool?

I must be the victum of GM cutbacks!

Sick03L
09-07-06, 04:42 PM
That's not good man. I have mine in for service right now to have the radiator replaced for the 2nd time in 5 months. EVERY and I mean EVERY issue that a CTS-V has....mine has had them all and the dealer fixed every one one them without a single question.
Mine warrenty paper work is 2 pages long showing a history of my car getting warrenty work done about every 4-5 months since it was new. Interior, exterior and powertrain and anything else you can think of.
It easier for me to list what has not been replaced or fixed than what has.

1) long block
2) transmission internals
3) seats front and rear.
Best of luck to you and I hope it all works out.

P.S I've only had my 04 for 2 weeks and it's spent 7 days in the shop getting fixed..LOL. A 50% ratio is not to bad and they gave me a STS for a loaner.

Holmes815
09-07-06, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the support, I appreciate hearing I'm not the only one who feels slightly molested!!! This is the first time they actually got their hands on my car and I've been dreading this day for a while becuase of my cicumstances (age/second owner/not from that partucular dealer/and apparently owning a V in general gets you unjustified punishment from some dealers!!) Anyway, my new friend Glen at Cadillac's customer service told me the Service Manager was going to take a look at my car again and that he would be calling him back in about a half an hour. I hope Glen is a true friend!!(He was really nice on the phone!)

James

P-Funk
09-07-06, 04:57 PM
Hope all goes well from here on out. Keep us posted.

CVP33
09-07-06, 05:39 PM
I've felt your pain. Hope it works out for your benefit. 19,000 miles and I can't kill it. CAN'T, CAN'T, CAN'T. Maybe my driving habits have mellowed, although the third set of tires would argue otherwise.

DILLIGAF
09-07-06, 06:11 PM
Lighten up Francis,hope it works out for you anyway.

markbinkc
09-07-06, 06:18 PM
I previously had that same "soft clutch" problem. I had slave cylinders on two different occasions go bad. The last time I almost got stuck in a parking space. I had to call CCS on them the the second time because they told me that my clutch had gone bad as well as my flywheel and that those would be on my dime - after 7500 miles. Long story short, they took care of it.

Mark

naiculnila
09-07-06, 06:48 PM
I have had TOO many problems to list..ranging from replacing the diff one week to the tranmission next week. To getting calls from cadillac and getting harassed.

Solution:
Call the Attorney General.
File a BBB case.

After the AG and BBB got in contact with them, the service guys started calling me SIR and May i help YOu, and Thank You and all sort of ncie things.

Also, i was 25 when they were giving me all the problems. Discrimination on age sucks, but good things there's ways to give it right back to them.

GOOD LUCK!

LV_V
09-07-06, 06:55 PM
BTW the dealers are not linked through a common database as you inquired. In other words, if you're not satisfied with one dealer, take your business to another dealer. Look on cadillacfaq.com (I think) for dealer ratings; this will help you decide on a decent dealer (notice I did not say "good dealer"...)

Holmes815
09-07-06, 07:02 PM
Ok,

Just got the car back;

1. Sunroof switch Fixed!:)
2. Peeling Sunvisor - On Order:)
3. Paint problems on hood explained to me to be acid rain and weren't going to be covered under warranty before Cadillac Customer Service spoke to the dealer are now something they will have detailed to fix
4. Strange feeling clutch - Up in the air right now since I was suppose to talk to the Service Manager who supposively has a V to talk about my situtation. He was in a meeting (for real, my friend Glen the Customer Service Guy tried to reach him too and he was told he was in a meeting too) so I'll call the Service manager tomorrow to see what he has to say and then fight my case when he tries to tell me that his car does the same thing!!!
5. Got the diff fluid changed (with additive!!), but they raped me with the price- does and hour of work sound long for changing diff fluid???? A little over $200 after tax!!!!

Anyway it is pretty interesting how a dealer can do a complete 180 from one phone call. What about your "Retired Regional Rep's Advice":yawn:!!!!!!!Hahahahahahha

James

DILLIGAF
09-07-06, 07:17 PM
The diff fluid change should be 150ish after taxes.I just had mine done and have my receipt,if you need it for bitching purposes pm me and i'll scan it through for you.

ahahnu
09-07-06, 10:00 PM
Atleast they don't bang you over the head for an oil change -$94 at Clairmont in Caldwell. I just bought a jack and stands and do it myself now. I have never been treated decently at any dealer. Worst comes to worst call Tom at Clairmont. He is the fairest and most decent of them all there.

CIWS
09-07-06, 10:05 PM
The diff fluid change should be 150ish after taxes.I just had mine done and have my receipt,if you need it for bitching purposes pm me and i'll scan it through for you.

Agreed, had mine done at about 3K and the dealership charged 141.47 with tax.

commander112
09-07-06, 10:53 PM
There are good dealer service departments and there are bad ones. Every dealer also has good service techs and bad ones. You need to find a good dealer and a good tech to work on your car. That said, I have had nothing but good things happen when working with Cadillac customer service. In fact, customer service was so good when I was having trouble with a dealer body shop on my wife's STS that I smashed, that prompted me to pickup the V for myself. By the way, in the end, the dealer did a great job on the body work on the STS once GM got them the parts.

Mark

stkshkr
09-07-06, 10:56 PM
I purchase my oil and filter and the dealer changes it for $10.12. You might ask about that. I like it cause it's documented in my service history.

atdeneve
09-09-06, 09:31 AM
...this is the 5th time I took my car in to Cadillac. The first 4 times I brought it there is sat all day without being touched ... I just recieved a phone call from the service advisor from the local dealership here in Englewood Cliffs NJ (literally a mile from my job at NBC.)

James, is that the Martin Cadillac in Englewood that you brought it to? Damn, I thought someone on here recommended them. Furthermore, a Chevy tech (who regularly worked on corvettes) also recommended them to me. He said that the techs there stayed on top of their ish and I was certain that that was the place to take mine. I guess I'll see for myself soon enough. I, myself, also got the seemingly autonomous clutch! Yay!

Holmes815
09-09-06, 10:01 AM
James, is that the Martin Cadillac in Englewood that you brought it to? Damn, I thought someone on here recommended them. Furthermore, a Chevy tech (who regularly worked on corvettes) also recommended them to me. He said that the techs there stayed on top of their ish and I was certain that that was the place to take mine. I guess I'll see for myself soon enough. I, myself, also got the seemingly autonomous clutch! Yay!

Unforunately you're right; I didn't want to throw them under the bus until I saw what they fixed on the car but yes!!! I actually spoke to their Service manager yesterday (at this point he had spoken to Cadillac about my issue; the Martin people definitely hate me considering I went over their heads- plus the extra $50 bucks on the diff fluid change is evident they're pissed!!!) but he said he has a V (the 7th one he has been given as a company car) and that it does the same clutch thing. Personally I feel like this guy doesnt take this car over 1500 RPMs and in that case he wouldnt feel anything different. At the end of my conversation with him he offered to take a look at the clutch when I brought the car in for rust rail work and the installation the new sunvisor so I got what I want....... I think. I hope they actually see when they take it apart that something is wrong because the clutch definitely isnt the way it's suppose to be.

Also, is this a bunch of BS or what; I was told at the deler that if I go nonrunflats the PCM needs to be programmed to let it know that regular tires are on the car. Now I'm a car guy and I call bullshit; that sounds a little rediculous to me-- Comments???

By the way, thank you to everyone for your support- I really love this forum and I love you guys!!! It makes dealing with the issues of this car (and more importantly the people what should be warrantying them) that much easier!!! :highfive:

Thanks again,

James

The Tony Show
09-09-06, 10:39 AM
The tire information is 100% accurate:

Bulletin here (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/06-03-10-006.pdf)

GM wants the PCM reprogrammed when the F1s are taken off, presumably to lower the top speed due to the lower rating on the tires.

atdeneve
09-09-06, 12:58 PM
Uh, yeah sure, here, take my money and then go ahead and lower my vehicles performance while you're at it.

Ummm kay, I think I'm gonna have to skip that one.

Funny how they make no mention of what the PCM recalibration is about, seeing as how any half witted individual would say no thanks, you can go and ream a bat up someone else's backside. Hyah!

The Tony Show
09-09-06, 01:10 PM
Uh, yeah sure, here, take my money and then go ahead and lower my vehicles performance while you're at it.

Ummm kay, I think I'm gonna have to skip that one.

Funny how they make no mention of what the PCM recalibration is about, seeing as how any half witted individual would say no thanks, you can go and ream a bat up someone else's backside. Hyah!

The ABS, PCM and EBCM are all configured at the factory based on the assumption that the car is wearing tires that have certain capabilities (top speed, grip, etc..).

Multi-Billion dollar companies like GM are very concerned about lawsuits, and if a dealer installs a tire that is only rated for 149 mph, they need to adjust the PCM to prevent the car from going over 149mph. To not do so would be negligent.

urbanski
09-09-06, 01:19 PM
then buy replacement tires with the same speed rating, or dont exceed the rated limits
dont let the dealer hack the PCM

The Tony Show
09-09-06, 02:30 PM
Oh, I agree that this car deserves tires that meet or exceed the specs of the OE F1s.

I was just trying to explain that it was not a line of BS, and that GM has a good reason for requiring dealers to load different calibrations when sub-standard tires are used.

atdeneve
09-09-06, 03:07 PM
then buy replacement tires with the same speed rating, or dont exceed the rated limits
dont let the dealer hack the PCM

Exactly.

In any case, if you read the bulletin, it is in reference to the Goodyear RS-As (which I would never get and have already declined after Goodyear tried to press them on me over the F1s - what is with all these dealers trying to make decisions for us, anyways; this is what I want, I'm paying for it, now give it to me, sheesh).

However, the dealer, as James was relating it, said that any switch from the runflats to a non-runflat would require recalibration. First of all, there are a variety of high performance non-runflat tires that are still rated at the same speed as the F1s, as well as some that may even be higher. Furthermore, the RS-As referenced in the TSB are still runflats.

Therefore, whatever recalibration that particular dealer was talking about (at least as he worded it) had no basis in that particular bulletin. Either, he was just trying to blow smoke up someone's rear stack or he didn't exactly know what he was talking about, in which case he really shouldn't be making such assertions anyway, since that would be tantamount to blowing smoke up someone's rear stack. So, either way, he was blowing smoke up someone's rear stack.

Also, although that bulletin would serve to protect the GM corporation from unwarranted lawsuits, they really are only liable if they sell the V with the RS-As, in which case they already make that recalibration from the factory.

If someone goes and changes the tires from the original equipment and, likewise, the manufacturer's minimum recommendation, then that person is on their own. Regardless of whether the V had the F1s or the RS-As as original equipment, the owner of the vehicle is responsible for replacing them with equipment that meets or exceeds that original tire's specifications.

So, the dealer really can't press such recalibration requirements on anyone, as it is neither their responsibility nor in their authority to do so.

Me thinks he just felt the need to blow smoke and have said smoke entrar betwixt the cheeks of some young enthusiast who just doesn't happen to fit the profile of their normal demographics - too bad for them, it's only their own future business that they're losing.

But, whatever, it's just that I feel some of these things are just plain stupid. It's like, just give it to me straight. No bullshit. We have enough bullshit in our lives, why the hell would they think we need more bullshit to conflagrate the situation further? Serving me bullshit certainly won't have me coming back, unless I just happen to be looking for more bullshit. Just plain stupid. Nothing more, nothing less. Hwa-phtooey. I spit in such stupidness's general direction.

And Tony, I know you're also a dealer and this is no way directed as a blanket generalization about all dealers. There are good dealers out there and, as witnessed by those on this forum, there are great dealers out there. However, they are few and far between. Oh well, at least it's fcuken nice out. Beautiful day for a walk. La-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la, di-da-dee...

urbanski
09-09-06, 03:39 PM
Therefore, whatever recalibration that particular dealer was talking about (at least as he worded it) had no basis in that particular bulletin. Either, he was just trying to blow smoke up someone's rear stack or he didn't exactly know what he was talking about, in which case he really shouldn't be making such assertions anyway, since that would be tantamount to blowing smoke up someone's rear stack. So, either way, he was blowing smoke up someone's rear stack...

or trying to extort another 200 bux from somebody

Holmes: rhino ramps, some tools, fluid from summitracing.com, and instructions from the FAQ for a DIY diff fluid swap is better than being screwed for another 200 bux, when the time for ANY fluid change comes around again

The Tony Show
09-09-06, 04:59 PM
There is also the remote possibility that he was just trying to be helpful. :hide:

(At least he's aware of the bulletin, and that's more than I can say for a lot of dealers I hear about.)

The bottom line is that the dealers must follow GM's rules. If a dealer puts any other All-season tire on a V that originally came with F1's, they are required to load the "non-F1" calibration into the PCM. I'm sure that plenty of dealers would skip the reprogramming if you requested it, but SOP is to follow instructions from GM.

I'm not defending anybody, and not saying that any of the above posts are incorrect. I have no idea if they were trying to clip you for more money or if their intentions were good- I'm just trying to give someone who isn't here themself the benefit of the doubt.

I'm probably inviting a flame war by suggesting that a dealer may not be the spawn of Satan, but it isn't fair to drag somebody's rep through the mud for trying to follow procedure (if that's the case).

urbanski
09-09-06, 05:17 PM
There is also the remote possibility that he was just trying to be helpful. :hide:).

well of course :)
i'm just a cynic ;)

Holmes815
09-09-06, 09:58 PM
I'm guessing my advisor was trying to be helpful, but the helpful hints about adjusting the pcm were only told to me after he suggested and I passed on getting new tires (which for the record I do need, but not at the dealers $457 a piece PLUS mounting!!!!) Yeah, no thanks I think I'll grab some non runflats that are W or Y rated from Tire Rack and have them all mounted for 40 bucks from a local reputable wheel shop; plus no reprogram!!! I think when it comes to the V, the lesson learned is knowledge is power!!!

James

The Tony Show
09-10-06, 12:11 AM
^ Amen to that. (457 a piece?? Hoo-ahh!)

JAY WEST
09-10-06, 04:03 AM
Wood Cadillac in Santa Rosa CA are badass when it comes to modding V's, I talked to them about my clutch problem, I may or may not be having. My connect said lets schedule putting in a new clutch and yeh we'll put that UUC light weight flywheel in but I never saw it go in , Did you? "not me.". They also are re tuning the PCM to the top of the allowed perameters, you know warranty issue BS, for free. My buddy said it felt like an extra 20 horses in his V after this slight tune. Works for me until I get the Stealth V tune. Oh yeah the are setting my B&M in for $165 (labor) with the bushings from Lindsay Caddi. Wood F'n ROCKS, if you are in the Bay check them out, they love the V's know about them and have modded quite a few...-Jay

Holmes815
09-10-06, 11:31 AM
Wood Cadillac in Santa Rosa CA are badass when it comes to modding V's, I talked to them about my clutch problem, I may or may not be having. My connect said lets schedule putting in a new clutch and yeh we'll put that UUC light weight flywheel in but I never saw it go in , Did you? "not me.". They also are re tuning the PCM to the top of the allowed perameters, you know warranty issue BS, for free. My buddy said it felt like an extra 20 horses in his V after this slight tune. Works for me until I get the Stealth V tune. Oh yeah the are setting my B&M in for $165 (labor) with the bushings from Lindsay Caddi. Wood F'n ROCKS, if you are in the Bay check them out, they love the V's know about them and have modded quite a few...-Jay

That sounds amazing; too bad I'm on the wrong coast!!! Actually if things don't go over the way I want I will have to make the 5 hour trip to Lindsay and get things fixed the right way (I hope I don't have to but I wouldn't mind knowing the people working on my car actually know what their doing!!!!)

James