: Need help one more time!!!!!

brown1904
09-07-06, 10:37 AM
Hello again Thanks for all your valuable info. Can you guys help me one more time. I am getting ready to install headbolt inserts. Can anyone tell me an easy way to get the head locator pins out of block. Also can those be bought in the aftermarket or dealer? Thanks

chevelle
09-07-06, 11:52 AM
Grab them with vise grips and turn and pull. You have to squeeze them hard enough to collapse the free end to create a flat to turn them with. They are hard to get out....on purpose!!

The other, more civilized way, is to thread a large tap into the ID of the dowel and then use a slid hammer on the tap to yank them out. You could tap some threads into the dowel ID, remove the tap and then put a bolt in to pull with....that allows you to grab the head of the bolt rather than trying to grab the smooth end of the tap.

Just be carefull to not scratch the deck surface in that area.

The dowels are dealer items I am pretty sure.

white97deville
09-07-06, 06:05 PM
Go to the hardware store and get a fender washer that is the correct inside diameter size to just fit over the dowel (you only need one) to protect your block surface from damage from the vice grips or whatever tool you use to pull the dowel out with.

I applied heat from a mapp gas torch to the surrounding block area and then turned the dowel with vice grip pliers....the dowels will come right out.

white97deville
09-07-06, 06:06 PM
You will only find the dowels at the caddy dealer.

zonie77
09-07-06, 08:51 PM
You can cut a slot down to the top of the block, that makes it easier to collapse them.