: Selling my EVO to get a CTS-V???

ac556k
09-07-06, 03:34 AM
First you can say I dig cars. Over the past 5 years I have gone from a Vortech Supercharged IS300 to a C32 AMG to a M3 and now have an 05 EVO. All cars have been slightly to highly modified including the EVO. All have been fairly reliable except for the Benz:rant2: . A couple of basic questions? Right now I am putting down 318whp and 331trq, and the 1/4 in 12.4 @ 115. How will the Caddy stock run compared to the EVO? I am going to presume the handling will be nowhere near the EVO right? Last after scanning these forums for a few weeks I have seen a number of glitches or problems with the car. I want to stay under $33k for a used CTS-V. Which year should I be looking at and what should I look for/at on the particular car before buying?
Thanks Dean

rand49er
09-07-06, 05:13 AM
Welcome, Dean.

First of all the V should not be thought of a drag car, though a lot do it. If you are still so inclined, expect mid to low 13s at somewhere around 105 mph depending on your launch technique, etc.

Handling may surprise you, but can't match the Evo (from what I understand).

Glitches, yup there are a few, though I've been fortunate as have many, many V owners to very few. The differential, of course, is the big one. It seems that most dealers will swap out a bad one in most cases assuming it's still under warranty.

At $33k, you're looking at a low mileage '04 or decent '05. I don't think you can touch an '06 for that, however. Besides the rear end whine, listen for the usual. Good luck.

G--
09-07-06, 06:27 AM
First you can say I dig cars. Over the past 5 years I have gone from a Vortech Supercharged IS300 to a C32 AMG to a M3 and now have an 05 EVO. All cars have been slightly to highly modified including the EVO. All have been fairly reliable except for the Benz:rant2: . A couple of basic questions? Right now I am putting down 318whp and 331trq, and the 1/4 in 12.4 @ 115. How will the Caddy stock run compared to the EVO? I am going to presume the handling will be nowhere near the EVO right? Last after scanning these forums for a few weeks I have seen a number of glitches or problems with the car. I want to stay under $33k for a used CTS-V. Which year should I be looking at and what should I look for/at on the particular car before buying?
Thanks Dean

Dean,
Glad to hear you may be joining us soon! Check out this link, it contains a whole list of thoughts/ideas that I asked about earlier this year when I picked up a used '05 V (black is still the fastest color, although others will disagree)...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/79228-when-buying-used-v.html
My expereince here is that everyone here is extremely helpful.:thumbsup: Keep in mind that these items may or may not be common, but warranty should protect you from most of the potential issues. I'm sure you already know this, but all performance cars have issues (some more than others, like your MB), so if you haven't driven one, definitely go drive one!

v-ape
09-07-06, 09:57 AM
The biggest difference will be the ride, its night and day compared to an Evo/Sti, you will give up a small amount of handling for it, but you get a LOT of luxury with it too.

I was looking at Evo's, M3's, and CTS-V's. I drove them all and I guess its more of a personal preference, but the M3 and CTS-V are much nicer for a daily driver, the CTS-V won me over for its low maintnance and intoxicating exhaust sound. Plus its a sleeper.

Chef
09-07-06, 11:03 AM
the CTS-V won me over for its low maintnance and intoxicating exhaust (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) sound. Plus its a sleeper.

Good point -

The LS6, or 2's will take a lot of hp so with that comes mod hell and all the pros and cons with that. College funds dwindle, sleepness nights with the misses etc. ect. but all worth it at the end of the day.

You can track it in the morning and go to the opera at night in style...:thumbsup:

Just last night I FLOGGED an Sti which plate read - "V WHAT" :tisk:

Just like Clint said after he painted the town red - Welcome To Hell:stirpot:

see ya soon.

Chef

Seattle CTS-V
09-07-06, 11:37 AM
Dean,

That's a great list of cars you've had/got! I looked at a chipped/meth injection C32 a while back after dumping my S/C'd Acura CLS.

As mentioned, the V isn't the best of drag cars given it's differential and wheel hop. The wheel hop can be remedied and soon an aftermarket diff will be available. You don't seem to be afraid of modding. With that said, don't expect great service from your dealership once you start heavily modding the motor. Of course, that isn't just for Cadillac, but any of your brands. They've taken care of me so far but I don't think that'll go on forever.

As far as handling, I think some people tend to overestimate the Caddy. It handles amazingly for it's size and weight. Better than a big sedan ever should! However, a well-driven Evo will run circles around the Caddy in the handling department...especially a modded one. On an open track with a lot of long straights the Caddy can hold its own but throw it into a very tight track or auto-x and it has to succumb to the laws of physics.

Ultimately, it's a great all-around car. Like stated, run it on the road course on Monday, drag it (lightly) on Friday, and pimp it over to your favorite restaurant with the lady (or ladies) on Saturday night!

v-ape
09-07-06, 12:26 PM
Just last night I FLOGGED an Sti which plate read - "V WHAT" :tisk:

I wish you had a video of that...
:highfive:

ac556k
09-07-06, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I have to say even though I don't have kids the wife won't ride in the EVO esp after I lowered it:thepan: . The one thing about the EVO is how cheap HP is. My original baseline started at 221 to the wheels. For about $4k I gained about 100whp and this was on a Mustang Dyno which reads lower than say a dynojet. I drove a 05 V this morning and definitly was impressed by the comfort of the car and how nice the interior was compared to the EVO. Shifter sucks compared the close ratio of the EVO but power is much more linear. It is also easier to drive when you don't have to keep the powerband so high to avoid the turbo lag. 0-60 the EVO will blow its doors off, too bad the dealer wouldn't let me hit I-75 with it though. Asking price with 14k miles was $37,900 which I though was high. They only wanted to give me $24,500 in trade which is less than what I owe. I am going to start piecing the EVO out to get some extra cash and hope to be in business in the next week or so.

hurley64
09-07-06, 12:48 PM
Just this past weekend, I put a hurting on an EVO from an 80MPH roll. 4th gear roll on, 4k rpm, he stayed even until 4500rpm, then the CTS-V walked him hard putting 2 lengths on him by 5500 (100 or so MPH). You may give up some grip off the line, but once you get all 4000lbs rolling you will love the top end the LSx motors provide.

John

Koooop
09-07-06, 01:07 PM
Shifter sucks compared the close ratio of the EVO

Get a short shifter in the V then the shifter won't suck anymore!

The V is a ton of fun.

gcollier
09-07-06, 01:42 PM
Dean I think I might have what your looking for. I have not taken any pictures yet but I will in the next day or so. I have a 2005 Black on Black V with 25k miles on it. Two weeks ago I did my first mods and they are: Corsa Exhaust, K&N CAI, CAGS Eliminator, Hotchkis Sway Bars, and the Diablo Predator Tune which can be reset to factory settings. I am only asking $32,500. I am located in South Carolina and should be positing pics of the car by this weekend on CTS-V Classifieds.

Chef
09-07-06, 02:07 PM
I wish you had a video of that...

Me too...After work just cruising home after a hard day on the fire. Caught up and saw that damn plate and it pissed me off - from a roll 50 to a buck ten...

Chef

BowenCT
09-07-06, 03:18 PM
I love the Evo! I will definately pick one up some day. I wouldn't trade the V for one, but I would love to have an Evo in addition to the V!!! Those cars are an absolute BLAST to drive!

(sorry, I didn't add anything to the discussion....but I had to chime in.)

ac556k
09-07-06, 04:01 PM
Forgot to mention that I am to anal for a black car so that leaves probably silver.