: Lemon Law Question

ARTSBEST
09-06-06, 03:10 PM
If the SAME problem occurs with a Cadillac (which is under warranty) is there some protection for we owners other than it supposedly being fixed for free? I've had 3 (in one year) ignition security problems in which the car would NOT start. Each time they said the problem was fixed. Each time the car was in the service bay for 2+ days. Any lemon law experts here who can input anything would be most appreciated. My warranty is about to past the 4 year period and I don't feel like this car (which I am planning on keeping because the re sale values is horrendous) is reliable.

megeebee
09-06-06, 05:02 PM
If the SAME problem occurs with a Cadillac (which is under warranty) is there some protection for we owners other than it supposedly being fixed for free? I've had 3 (in one year) ignition security problems in which the car would NOT start. Each time they said the problem was fixed. Each time the car was in the service bay for 2+ days. Any lemon law experts here who can input anything would be most appreciated. My warranty is about to past the 4 year period and I don't feel like this car (which I am planning on keeping because the re sale values is horrendous) is reliable.

Lemon Laws vary from State to State. I think most State governments have extensive web sites. Look up your State Attorney General's office. There is most likely a dedicated Lemon Law office there.
And, just telling the service manager and/or salesperson that you are going to the government will get their serious attention, trust me. I had to go through this with a '94 SLS I got new. It spent 3 weeks in the service department, so I called and told them that the State law read that they had to get me a new car or my money back. They got me a new car in 48 hours.

ARTSBEST
09-07-06, 08:57 AM
THANKS MUCH megeebee. I don't know how extensive your problems were but when one has a $50K car and it you find yourself STUCK somewhere because it won't start ones blood reaches the boiling pt. faster than the radiator.

jmf9033
09-07-06, 03:43 PM
I experienced a very similar problem with a 2005 Audi. Once the car had been in the shop for more than 21 Days for the same problem, which is part of the Lemon Law where I live.

I very nicely and calmly made mention of this and within a few days met with the District Manager and was able to return the car and get my money back.

ARTSBEST
09-07-06, 03:55 PM
It seems like if an owner has a legitimate claim (via the lemon laws) the mfg's bend over backwards to rectify the problem.

c5 rv
09-07-06, 09:20 PM
I believe most lemon laws are effective only in the first 1 or 2 years of new car ownership. I have heard of automakers agreeing to continue to cover a specific problem area after the warranty period if the issue was first documented while the car was under warranty.

Ishminder
10-30-06, 04:23 PM
Its been a while since you have posted this, but in California...as long as you are in the warranty, you are covered by the lemon law. I bought my car used from a private party, was in the shop for over 60 days(yeah thats a CTS-V for you there) and they just settled with my lemon law attorney. Private message me if you have any more questions, otherwise good luck!