: Need two sets of tires, what would you get?

Ross DeVore
09-06-06, 12:27 PM
I've got two sets of rims and eight dead F1 EMT Badyears. They are stock sets of rims, one set chromed, the other powder coated gloss black. Just looking for helpful suggestions and the latest thinking on the topic of CTS-V tire options.

Thanks,

Ross

Venomous-V
09-06-06, 12:48 PM
Falken Azenis rt615 255/40/18 and michelin ps2's are the best non run flat option in my book. Handling closest compares to f1's,treadwear same better.(downside, need a spare)

RobertCTS
09-06-06, 02:10 PM
If CTS-V size is your plan: I purchased 18"x 8" aftermarket rims and 245x45x18 Pirelli PZero tires. I love them to death.

50 4Ever
09-06-06, 02:24 PM
Michelin PS2's for the road and Nitto NT01's for the track.

:thumbsup:

1QUICKV
09-06-06, 07:57 PM
what you need to do is sell me your chome wheels for a dirt cheap price because your v looks great with the block ones... =) brigstones run fat or not up too you. "stock size"

CTSVelocity
09-06-06, 08:19 PM
Bfg T/a Kdw > *

Luna.
09-06-06, 08:39 PM
Falken Azenis rt615 255/40/18 and michelin ps2's are the best non run flat option in my book. Handling closest compares to f1's,treadwear same better.(downside, need a spare)

:yeah:

calicadi
09-07-06, 02:07 AM
Do a search at TireRack.com for 245/ or 255/ -35, -40 or -45 / 18. You'll see you have some choices.

If you want a set for track/autocross, try the Hoosier A6 or R6. (Haven't tried those personally but they're reknown competition tires.)

I run BFG T/A KD's (not to be confused with KDW's) for autocrossing. They're available in 245/40/18. Excellent dry weather tire. Massive tread blocks for cornering. (see photo)

For daily driving and rain, I have Bridgestone Potenza RE050A runflats. They're a bit less sticky than F1's but a vast improvement over F1's on slick roads, and quieter ,too.

CTSVelocity
09-08-06, 09:46 PM
I run BFG T/A KD's (not to be confused with KDW's) for autocrossing. They're available in 245/40/18. Excellent dry weather tire. Massive tread blocks for cornering. (see photo)

I think the only differences between the KDW and the KD is that the KDW are more all season/wet & dry weather and the KD are more of a summer/dry tire. I love them though and BFG's are usually less expensive than goodyears! Always a plus. The g-force t/a's definitely GRIP... to the thread starter, try them out :thumbsup:

CHarris_05V
09-08-06, 10:02 PM
I just did the 255/40 18 BFG KDW's on stock wheels on mine. I'm very happy with the price (about $170 a tire) and they are a better wet tire for the Northwest region. They look more aggressive, too, which is kind of nice. Not as stiff as the runflats either. I'm sure they give up some grip... but I need a good wet tire here.

wildwhl
09-08-06, 11:18 PM
Ditto on the RE050A's - not as sticky as F1's but a great daily tire if you want runflats.

Cleaning the shop this week I realized I still have 4 spare wheels...guess I need something really sticky for those. Are the Falken super sticky?

Wish BigJim were here to help :nono:

WW

DILLIGAF
09-08-06, 11:49 PM
The Falkins are super sticky WW.I put up a thread asking where jim was and it got removed today.He must be in another time out.

wildwhl
09-09-06, 12:20 PM
BigJim can't play nice? Dammit, I missed that.

Also missing the desert this weekend due to wrong chain in box for bike :banghead:

Threadjack off. So the Falkens are super sticky - and the hoosiers must be damn sticky as well I would imagine. Would we classify these with the BFG KD(W)s?

WW

NoSlackCadillac
09-09-06, 06:12 PM
My .02 is
PS2 for the street and
Sport Cups for the road coarse (big difference in grip from ps2 to cups)

If the most I was going to do was autox, I would look for something that heated up quicker than the Cups, on the flip side you can use the cups to travel to the events without worrying they will be worn out before you get home.

If you're more interested in driving 1/4 mi at a time, go for drag radials and keep the size down. You are still going to have to shift to 4th and there isn't enough room with an 18" wheel for any wrinkle-wall to work anyway.

lunarx
09-09-06, 07:11 PM
Michelin PS2's for the road and Nitto NT01's for the track.

:thumbsup:
+1 What he says.
I have used both myself and highly recommend.