: Dam road, Dam F1's....

csp3000
09-06-06, 10:14 AM
I just went to the garage and i saw that I have a flat on my left rear tire:mad: I running the F1 run flats and I know that changing this tire always costs $$$$ I just changed these tires about 4 months ago and I just finshed that track event "HPDE" at Moroso last Sunday. So do I change the tire or patch it? I am going to be racing on Oct 14 at Sebring and I don't want to be compromised by having a tire that can't stand up to the day's driving:bigroll: Or will the patch work for running the car at the track safely? If i have to buy a new one I am going to but I just want to know what are my options? Thanks...

OldRoadDawg
09-06-06, 10:29 AM
Do you know if it is puncture and if it is . . is it a repairable puncture?
You may also want to be checking for air loss around the TPS/vale stem. I've had the small O-ring go bad. A competent tire shop that works on rf tires will keep a supply of O-rings on hand.
Never had a nail puncture when I was running runflats.

csp3000
09-06-06, 11:37 AM
Do you know if it is puncture and if it is . . is it a repairable puncture?
You may also want to be checking for air loss around the TPS/vale stem. I've had the small O-ring go bad. A competent tire shop that works on rf tires will keep a supply of O-rings on hand.
Never had a nail puncture when I was running runflats.

I'm not sure what it is yet but if it is a repairable puncture do you still think it it safe for track events? If not I will be buying another dam F1 run flat $$$$

csp3000
09-06-06, 12:41 PM
Ok, I just got off the phone with the tire shop that I'm bringing the V to and he told me that an internal patch would hold up for racing. This is of course if that it can be repaired...Is he for real or full of ****:confused:

ctsvflorida
09-06-06, 01:32 PM
Ok, I just got off the phone with the tire shop that I'm bringing the V to and he told me that an internal patch would hold up for racing. This is of course if that it can be repaired...Is he for real or full of ****:confused:

I have a half worn F1 runflat w/ 6/32 tread! Make me any reasonable offer and it is yours! PM me and I can arrange to get it to you as it is in NY! It would be worth it to you just to keep for a spare with no patches. I keep my GSD3 with patches just in case I can't patch the new one!

50 4Ever
09-06-06, 02:15 PM

He is for real. The stock tires have a speed rating of "W" or 168 MPH. If the tire is patchable (puncture more than 1" from sidewall) an internal patch will drop the speed rating one category to "V" or 149 MPH. A 2nd internal patch on that tire would drop it to "H" or 130 MPH. I have raced my Corvette on F1 Spercars with two patches in one front tire. No problem at all.

Just make sure this shop has the special equipment to work on runflats.

:thumbsup:

csp3000
09-07-06, 09:31 AM
I can't beleve it I just went to the garage to find out that the tire is leaking again:rant2: I just got it fixed last night WTF... I called the tire place and they told me that maybe the patch didn't hold and that they would take a look at it. How do you not get a patch to hold if this is all you basicly do??? UGH sorry need to vent this just pisses me off because now I have to move my day around for them:mad:

Chef
09-07-06, 12:22 PM
Break down and take the hit in getting some new rubber. Your mind will play tricks on you and will take your focus off racing - You'll be wondering:confused: will this hold, will this blow, etc. etc...

Need to get the mind right - Cool Hand Luke Style...

Chef

csp3000
09-07-06, 02:16 PM
Well I got back and they replaced the valve stem and said the patch was fine l am hoping that works for now:bigroll: Hey Chef what tires are you running on your V cause I am probably just going to bit the bullet and buy some new rubber but I'm going to try to wait a little longer to the race date at Sebring so I have basicly have new tires for the event in Oct.

50 4Ever
09-07-06, 05:19 PM
Well I got back and they replaced the valve stem and said the patch was fine l am hoping that works for now:bigroll: Hey Chef what tires are you running on your V cause I am probably just going to bit the bullet and buy some new rubber but I'm going to try to wait a little longer to the race date at Sebring so I have basicly have new tires for the event in Oct.

Say what? The valve stem is connected to the tire pressure sensor and I thought it was one integral unit and you couldn't just replace the valve stem. Did they replace the valve core?

:confused:

csp3000
09-07-06, 10:45 PM
Say what? The valve stem is connected to the tire pressure sensor and I thought it was one integral unit and you couldn't just replace the valve stem. Did they replace the valve core?

:confused:

No I beleve he replaced the TPS Valve stem only but I could be wrong. The part was only 17.95 $ so I am pretty sure it was not the core. He told me that if I went to GM that they would have probably have changed the whole thing and charged me like 300.00 $. I think he said it was a bad o-ring on the TPS Valve stem :confused:

CHarris_05V
09-07-06, 11:14 PM
Hope it all works out for you. I just had a flat a week ago. Turned out it was 3 nails and a #10 screw. I've never had 4 simultaneous holes in any tire before... they must have been drawn to the car... lol

I'm changing to 255/40 BFG KDW's now. Waiting on the last two to get to the shop :(