: AC Compressor

Aurora By Olds
09-05-06, 12:59 PM
Where is a good cheap place to get an AC Compressor? Mine is toast, and it looks like I will be replacing it myself, rather than spending a grand to get it done for me. Would it be cheaper yet to have mine rebuild?
ALso, does anyone know if it is possible to get a belt shorter to bypass the AC for the meantime? Assuming what I know about the belt routing, its pretty much impossible to do that...

parts68
09-05-06, 07:03 PM
I heard someone on here and also Aurora board that did the short belt trick.
To replace the compressor isnt easy or cheap.
Any year 95-9 Aurora will work fo it if you get a Junker make sure the system wasnt open.
Cheapest used one I found with warranty was $75 for a 99.
you can buy a NEW GM Delco for about $300.
Ive heard they have a Chinese replacement for $250 but I would spent the extra $50 my self.
Dont waste you time on a rebuilt.
Failure rate is too high.
Ask your self this...
would you do it all over again for the difference you saved?

Elmer Fudd
09-05-06, 09:06 PM
My experience with rebuilt compressors has been pretty miserable too. Last like 2 seasons, give or take. Not on Cadillacs but the point is still valid. If you are going to keep the car more than another season, I would get NEW. You will probably save a bunch of $$$ in the long run.....

J.A.O.
09-05-06, 09:47 PM
YES, it will cost you, but if you bring it to a dealer, you should be able to get a GM Goodwrench compressor. This will come with a LIFETIME warranty (part only). If it ever fails again, the only charge you will incur will be the cost of the labor. Just a thought.

Ranger
09-05-06, 10:14 PM
Get an A/C Delco compressor. You may find a new one on Ebay. If not try Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto (http://www.rockauto.com) or GM Parts at Brasington (http://www.gmotors.com)

I have heard of people bypassing it with a 74" belt, but I can't recall if that was on a 4.9 or a Northstar. I want to say it was the 4.9.

codewize
09-05-06, 10:53 PM
I agree. Use nly a GM part for this. You'll be sorry if you don't. And no this isn't an easy job. BTW what are we working on?

RedGalant2k1
09-05-06, 10:55 PM
I recommend 4 seasons a/c compressors. They come fully assembled and even with a compressor clutch.

Aurora By Olds
09-06-06, 07:47 AM
Its a 4.0 N*
Does the AC Delco compressor bought anywhere come with a lifetime warranty?

chevelle
09-06-06, 02:23 PM
Take the right front wheel off and remove part of the splash shields into the engine compartment. Remove the splash panels from the fascia to the engine cradle. Makes access to the AC compressor much easier.

Aurora By Olds
09-06-06, 02:35 PM
Thanks for all of the input.
I decided on a new AC compressor that comes with the oil, orifice, and new dryer all for about $245. Not bad IMHO.
Is there perhaps an easy way to flush, evacuate, and recharge the system, or is that best left to the pros?

Ranger
09-06-06, 03:42 PM
You can do it yourself if you have a compressor, flush gun, vacuum pump & a set of guages. If not, leave it to an A/C shop.

Aurora By Olds
09-12-06, 05:15 PM
So I got the new compressor sent to me, and it ends up being some damn korean made pile instead of a GM, but whatever, it has to go in.
The problem, there are two harnesses connected to the old one. One on the rear of the compressor, and one near the clutch. The new compressor is identical to the old, except the harness on the rear is missing. What do I do about this?

Aurora By Olds
09-12-06, 07:01 PM
Nevermind, Figured it out.